player ids

roadranger

thanks, i didn't see that.  the only one i say was dated march 2005.  i had a tutorial on how to make portraits using photo shop, but i accidently tossed it last summer.  all i can find is kraw's portrait maker.  is that other tuorial still on this site.  i also looked for that but couldn't find it

9 minutes ago, roadranger said:

thanks, i didn't see that.  the only one i say was dated march 2005.  i had a tutorial on how to make portraits using photo shop, but i accidently tossed it last summer.  all i can find is kraw's portrait maker.  is that other tuorial still on this site.  i also looked for that but couldn't find it

Not that I know of.

Here's how I create and install portraits:

1. Get the image you want to use as a portrait and crop out the parts you don't want
  2. Resize the image to 128x128 pixels.  I use a free tool called IrfanView to crop and resize the images.
  3. Save this new image as a .bmp file
  4. Open up your roster in MVPEdit
  5. Go into the Tools->Options menu and make sure that "View Portraits" is checked.  Also make sure that your data directory is set properly in the menu
  6. Go to the player whose portrait you want to add/change and click on the window that shows his portrait
  7. Select the .bmp file you created, press OK and the portrait should then show up in MVPEdit and be saved to the data\frontend\portraits.big file.

I've used this process for years and the only issues I have ever had is if the resized image is not EXACTLY 128x128 pixels.  If it is the wrong size, it will not show up in MVPEdit after you add it.

20 hours ago, Jim825 said:

1. Get the image you want to use as a portrait and crop out the parts you don't want
  2. Resize the image to 128x128 pixels.  I use a free tool called IrfanView to crop and resize the images.
  5. Go into the Tools->Options menu and make sure that "View Portraits" is checked.  Also make sure that your data directory is set properly in the menu
  6. Go to the player whose portrait you want to add/change and click on the window that shows his portrait
  7. Select the .bmp file you created, press OK and the portrait should then show up in MVPEdit and be saved to the data\frontend\portraits.big file.

I've used this process for years and the only issues I have ever had is if the resized image is not EXACTLY 128x128 pixels.  If it is the wrong size, it will not show up in MVPEdit after you add it.

thanks jim. i'll give it a try. i haven't done anything with mvp2005 for a couple of years, but now i remember doing this.  i also remember using photoshop and doing layers, alphas, etc to create portraits, but i tossed that tutorial out last year thinking i wasn't going to use it anymore.

20 hours ago, Jim825 said:

jim, i just tried it following your instructions.  when i click on the portrait, the portrait plus the alpha screen comes up.  i clicked 'new' on the portrait and clicked on my 128x128 bmp portrait i created with irfanview and clicked 'ok'.  the new portrait didn't stay - it went back to the original portrait, so, if i remember right, something still has to be done with the alpha

If there is an alpha, I have simply deleted it. I think I do that by right clicking on it.  I don't have MVPEdit on the PC I'm currently working on, so I can't confirm that, but I know that it is easy to delete the alpha.  After that, I simply left click on the portrait box (the one on the left), select my portrait, and click OK.

OK, so I have MVPEdit open right now.  If there is an existing portrait with an alpha, first click on the "Delete FSH" button to get rid of both the current portrait and the alpha.  Next, click on "New Picture", select your .bmp file and then click OK.

11 hours ago, Jim825 said:

OK, so I have MVPEdit open right now.  If there is an existing portrait with an alpha, first click on the "Delete FSH" button to get rid of both the current portrait and the alpha.  Next, click on "New Picture", select your .bmp file and then click OK.

I did not know that strategy, thanks for that Jim.

2 hours ago, Gordo said:

So the only thing with this is that there will be no transparent area in the portrait, since no alpha is used, correct?

That's correct.  My level of expertise when it comes to photo editing is cropping, resizing, rotating and changing the entire image from color to black and white.  Ask me to do anything besides that and I am clueless.  :lol:

In the past, I did create loading screens for my TC mods using Adobe Photoshop Elements, however, when I did that, it was mainly adding different pieces to an image, and the tool did not support alpha channels.

That's cool.... Always thought the transparency for portraits was a pain in the ass anyway.   Now for Tiger Woods golf it's good for certain looks and doing away with the aim arrow, giving it a more natural look.

jim, i followed your steps and i can't get it to work.  i went to mlb.com, looked up the player, saved his photo, opened it up with irfanview, cropped to get just the headshot & part of the shoulder, resized it to be 128x128 pixels, saved it as a .bmp file, opened up my roster in mvp edit, right clicked on the player's photo, deleted the .fsh, right clicked on the photo again, clicked on new photo, inserted my new photo (it showed up great), but when i clicked save, the photo disappeared.  i tried that as mentioned above and also without deleting the alpha and got the same result

Archived