Installation Problems: Windows XP

HalfricanWSox24

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jim825 said:

When you want to install a mod, DO NOT put the downloaded mod in the folder where you want to install it. 

Following Yankee4Life’s example, create a folder called C:\MVP15 Download

When you download the mod, put it in that folder. Next, go into that folder. If the mod is a .Zip, .Rar or .7z file, extract the contents (typically the installer and perhaps other files) to the MVP15 Download folder. 

Run the installer that came with the mod. When it asks where you want to install it, select the C:\MVP15 folder that Yankee4Life had you create. 

Once the installation is complete, go into the C:\MVP15 folder and run the mvp2005.exe file to start the modded game.   You can then create a new shortcut for the modded game on your desktop so you don’t have to go into File Explorer to start it. 

Thanks for the help. I am almost there. I figured out one of my problems. I simply did not have the proper program to extract the 7z file. Now I have all of the contents in a separate folder, and they downloaded perfectly. I see all of the stadiums, audio, datafiles, database, etc. However, is the mvp2005.exe in the MVP mod somewhere? That is the only thing I cannot find to run the game. I know I am probably simply overlooking it. 

I am obviously very new to all of this. I only bought this old computer for this game. Anyway, once I find this file to run the game, I am sure it will work. 

27 minutes ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

Alright found the mvp2005.exe.  Popped the CD in and run it. I get the intro screen with MVP 10th anniversary screen but then it crashes. Maybe I did something wrong? 

Did you actually install the mod or are you trying to run from the folder where you downloaded it?

These Total Conversion mods don’t contain a full installation of the game. They just include the files that were modified. You can’t just extract the files and run the game from there. You have to install the files and run the game in the folder where you installed the mod. 

1 hour ago, Jim825 said:

Did you actually install the mod or are you trying to run from the folder where you downloaded it?

These Total Conversion mods don’t contain a full installation of the game. They just include the files that were modified. You can’t just extract the files and run the game from there. You have to install the files and run the game in the folder where you installed the mod. 

I followed the download instructions on the mod, as well as yours, and extracted the files from the 7z into a folder with clean MVP application just like directed. Like I said the game screen starts right up, but I cannot get further than that because it crashes. Am I missing a step? I am loading the MVP app icon in the same folder that I extracted the files to, but for some reason it is crashing. Ill keep trying. Maybe I'll start over. Again my install is a clean version of MVP, I do not have any other mods downloaded on the computer. 

17 hours ago, Muller_11 said:

Without fear of being wrong, this must be the most problematic thread when it comes to install a MOD in Windows XP for beginners....

No, you're not wrong but this will end up being very helpful once he gets things going so someone who comes here with the same problem can read about it and get help.

9 hours ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

I followed the download instructions on the mod, as well as yours, and extracted the files from the 7z into a folder with clean MVP application just like directed. Like I said the game screen starts right up, but I cannot get further than that because it crashes. Am I missing a step? I am loading the MVP app icon in the same folder that I extracted the files to, but for some reason it is crashing. Ill keep trying. Maybe I'll start over. Again my install is a clean version of MVP, I do not have any other mods downloaded on the computer. 

If you have the ability, try to install the game onto a PC running Windows 7.  Run it successfully.  Then try to install a TC mod as instructed before.  If it runs successfully, then you know there's something going on with your version of XP, not the game or the TC instructions.

12 hours ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

It occurred to me this morning that it might not be what you are doing but an issue with installing MVP15 by itself. I seem to recall that some people had issues installing MVP15 on a clean installation of the game (like you are) and they were told to install MVP12 first and then install MVP15 on top of MVP12. 

As a test, make another copy of your clean version of the game and grab one of the Total Classics mods (TC1955, TC1919, TC1975, TC1995, etc.).  Follow the instructions I gave you earlier and install that mod onto your clean version of the game.

If the modded game comes up and runs fine, then it shows that the issue you had installing MVP15 is the same one that others had and not a problem with how you installed it. 

48 minutes ago, Jim825 said:

It occurred to me this morning that it might not be what you are doing but an issue with installing MVP15 by itself. I seem to recall that some people had issues installing MVP15 on a clean installation of the game (like you are) and they were told to install MVP12 first and then install MVP15 on top of MVP12. 

As a test, make another copy of your clean version of the game and grab one of the Totak Classics mods (TC1955, TC1919, TC1975, TC1995, etc.).  Follow the instructions I gave you earlier and install that mod onto your clean version of the game.

Very true Jim. For some reason there were crashing issues involving Mvp 15.

6 hours ago, Jim825 said:

As a test, make another copy of your clean version of the game and grab one of the Total Classics mods (TC1955, TC1919, TC1975, TC1995, etc.).  Follow the instructions I gave you earlier and install that mod onto your clean version of the game.

If the modded game comes up and runs fine, then it shows that the issue you had installing MVP15 is the same one that others had and not a problem with how you installed it. 

Thank you very much for the insight. I did some digging and noticed similar problems for others in the past with the MVP 15 download. I will try some of the other recommended mods and see what happens. If it does not run, I will simply uninstall and reinstall MVP discs to my hard drive because that must be the issue if others don't work. I really appreciate all of your help guys. 

Thank you again. 

Ok so I picked a TC1976 mod, and extracted all of the contents to new folder using 7zip program and run the MVP2005.exe and it crashes again. It has to be a problem with the application. It is odd because even without the mod the exe app crashes, but the MVP shortcut works. 

Is there any way to fix this without an uninstall and reinstall?

It has to be an issue with the original install I am guessing. 

If not I will proceed with a complete re-install of MVP after uninstalling.

Thanks again. 

7 hours ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

Ok so I picked a TC1976 mod, and extracted all of the contents to new folder using 7zip program and run the MVP2005.exe and it crashes again. It has to be a problem with the application. It is odd because even without the mod the exe app crashes, but the MVP shortcut works. 

Is there any way to fix this without an uninstall and reinstall?

It has to be an issue with the original install I am guessing. 

If not I will proceed with a complete re-install of MVP after uninstalling.

Thanks again. 

No, you’re doing it wrong. Either I don’t explain myself well or you are still missing something.

Ok, you got the 1976 mod. When you ran the installer that came with the ‘76 mod did you direct it to install to a clean copy of Mvp ‘05 like I explained to do in the other thread? Look at it this way. You are installing a brand new copy of the game only with the 1976 season on it.

1 minute ago, Yankee4Life said:

No, you’re doing it wrong. Either I don’t explain myself well or you are still missing something.

Ok, you got the 1976 mod. When you ran the installer that came with the ‘76 mod did you direct it to install to a clean copy of Mvp ‘05 like I explained to do in the other thread? Look at it this way. You are installing a brand new copy of the game only with the 1976 season on it.

Actually, you are not installing a brand new copy of the game. You are only installing modified files on top of an existing copy of the game.  If we included every file that makes up the game, it would be no different than giving away a pirated copy. 

In all his messages, he says that he extracts the files, but as you pointed out, he never says that he actually ran the installer.  It’s possible that the TC76 mod includes a copy of mvp2005.exe, but I know for a fact that it does not include every single file that makes up the game.

That could be why he keeps running into problems.  He is trying to run the game but only has a subset of the needed files. 

3 hours ago, Jim825 said:

Actually, you are not installing a brand new copy of the game. You are only installing modified files on top of an existing copy of the game.  If we included every file that makes up the game, it would be no different than giving away a pirated copy. 

Yes Jim I know that and I do realize every file is not modified and changed. I just wanted to give him an idea of what I meant., that this new mod once it is installed and up and running will be the 1976 season and that's it. 🙂

3 hours ago, Jim825 said:

In all his messages, he says that he extracts the files, but as you pointed out, he never says that he actually ran the installer.  It’s possible that the TC76 mod includes a copy of mvp2005.exe, but I know for a fact that it does not include every single file that makes up the game.

That could be why he keeps running into problems.  He is trying to run the game but only has a subset of the needed files. 

I believe you may have just found the answer. Now we'll wait to hear from him.

2 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Yes Jim I know that and I do realize every file is not modified and changed. I just wanted to give him an idea of what I meant., that this new mod once it is installed and up and running will be the 1976 season and that's it. 🙂

I believe you may have just found the answer. Now we'll wait to hear from him.

I figured you knew that the mod didn’t include every file. I just wanted to make sure he was aware of it and didn’t misunderstand your message. 

10 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Hmm. No. I double click on the file after it is downloaded, and open it with the 7zip file manager I have to open the file. There was no installer instructions that popped up. Just an explodeme file that I assumed you open to begin the extraction/download process? Should there be an installer option I am not seeing? This is likely the problem for me then. 

4 hours ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

Hmm. No. I double click on the file after it is downloaded, and open it with the 7zip file manager I have to open the file. There was no installer instructions that popped up. Just an explodeme file that I assumed you open to begin the extraction/download process? Should there be an installer option I am not seeing? This is likely the problem for me then. 

The explodeme.exe file IS the installer.

Also, if you had looked at the files you extracted from the 7Zip file, you would have noticed a file named README.txt.  Did you even look at that file?  The name should have implied that you should read it.  That file contains the installation instructions.

Even if you didn't read that file, if you had scrolled down on the page where you downloaded the mod from you would have seen the following:

*** INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ***

- After you download the total_classics_1976.7z file, double-click to open it.

- Extract the contents of the file into a folder.

- Double-click the explodeme.exe file

- Find the location of a CLEAN (or patched) copy of MVP Baseball 2005 and click "Extract".

- Allow the program to extract all of the new content.

- Play the new Total Classics 1976 mod.

NOTE -- You MUST use an "unlocked" profile in order to have access to the 1976 uniforms

This are the exact same text included in the README.txt file.  I don't know how much clearer or simpler these instructions could be.

14 hours ago, Jim825 said:

The explodeme.exe file IS the installer.

Also, if you had looked at the files you extracted from the 7Zip file, you would have noticed a file named README.txt.  Did you even look at that file?  The name should have implied that you should read it.  That file contains the installation instructions.

Even if you didn't read that file, if you had scrolled down on the page where you downloaded the mod from you would have seen the following:

*** INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ***

- After you download the total_classics_1976.7z file, double-click to open it.

- Extract the contents of the file into a folder.

- Double-click the explodeme.exe file

- Find the location of a CLEAN (or patched) copy of MVP Baseball 2005 and click "Extract".

- Allow the program to extract all of the new content.

- Play the new Total Classics 1976 mod.

NOTE -- You MUST use an "unlocked" profile in order to have access to the 1976 uniforms

This are the exact same text included in the README.txt file.  I don't know how much clearer or simpler these instructions could be.

Find the location of a CLEAN (or patched) copy of MVP Baseball 2005 and click "Extract".

This must be the step I am not understanding or performing correctly. I am clicking extract on the Mod and selecting MVP Baseball 2005 as the location?

Yes I looked at the readme file too.  I am going to try and figure this out today. It appears I am just doing this wrong with the extraction. 

Appreciate the help. 

8 minutes ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

Find the location of a CLEAN (or patched) copy of MVP Baseball 2005 and click "Extract".

This must be the step I am not understanding or performing correctly. I am clicking extract on the Mod and selecting MVP Baseball 2005 as the location?

EXACTLY!!!!

How many times have I told you that you need another clean copy of Mvp 2005 on your system? Please go back to that other thread so you can once again learn how to make another copy of the game. Once you make another copy you can direct the 1976 installer to that directory.

I re-downloaded the mod, and extracted to clean version of the app, and hit yes to all when asked to extract over the files and replace existing. The application still will not run. Looks like I will need to uninstall and re-install the entire game and try again. It has to be something with my original installation. Unless I am missing a necessary patch or something? I seriously cannot understand what is going wrong. 

2 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

EXACTLY!!!!

How many times have I told you that you need another clean copy of Mvp 2005 on your system? Please go back to that other thread so you can once again learn how to make another copy of the game. Once you make another copy you can direct the 1976 installer to that directory.

Well the only copy I have is a clean copy, and it's easy to make a copy. But the problem may be that MVP patch 2, I need to download. If that isn't it, I may need to just re-install the entire program because that appears to be the issue if nothing else works. 

2 hours ago, HalfricanWSox24 said:

I re-downloaded the mod, and extracted to clean version of the app, and hit yes to all when asked to extract over the files and replace existing. The application still will not run. Looks like I will need to uninstall and re-install the entire game and try again. It has to be something with my original installation. Unless I am missing a necessary patch or something? I seriously cannot understand what is going wrong. 

I don't think you need to go as far as uninstalling the game but if you do it it's not going to be a big deal. The real expert you have been dealing with here is not myself. It's Jim. We both use Windows XP for Mvp '05 but he's one of the guys who make the season mods and that installer is his creation.

Archived