How is this year for a new mod?

Yankee4Life

Each and every time a new season mod is released, it's like we are getting a brand new game. And that's how I felt after Hory released the 1994 season. You can't say enough good things about it.

I know that 1988 and 1984 and 1978 are in the works or at the very least, being planned on.

I was thinking that a good year to do a mod that would generate a lot of interest would be the 1951 season. Here's why:

1. It was Willie Mays' (NY Giants) and Mickey Mantle's (NY Yankees) rookie year.

2. It was Joe Dimaggio's final year as a Yankee.

3. It was the year of the famous Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants National League dogfight.

4. Noteable National League players in their prime were playing in 1951. Roy Campanella (Brooklyn), Stan Musial (Cardinals), Ralph Kiner (Pirates) and Warren Sphan of the Boston Braves.

5. And the American League was well represented by Ted Williams (Boston Red Sox), Bob Feller (Indians), Nellie Fox (White Sox), Bobby Shantz (Philadelphia Athletics) and Satchel Paige of the St. Louis Browns.

So, as you can see 1951 is well represented by stars. One drawback I can think of now is back then, there were only sixteen teams in the Major Leagues, eight team per league. Can this be done in Mvp baseball?

If this can be done, it would be a great addition to this fine game we have. If not, well just chalk it up to someone having an idea.

Thoughts and comments of course are appreciated.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it can be done Y4L. And Hory would be better to answer this, but the only draw back is like you said. Only 8 teams per league, but all 3 divisions would still have to have at least one team in it. Probably two.

I love the idea though. I wasn't aware that '84 was being planned.

That would be a good mod.

In regards to the number of teams, I think what Hory did with the 1994 mod would work. Just have the teams listed in there but restrict the users from playing a owner/dynasty with the teams that are not present.

But the main problem comes in regard to the league setup. Not sure if you could change the 3 divisions/league setup.

Also, one mod that I would really like to say made is a mod that includes the Negro Leagues though we maybe limited in resources in trying to find good pics for cyberfaces/portraits etc...

1951 and 1955 are right up there on the list of highly desirable single season mods. If you look back a little bit, you'll see a rather prodigiously long thread on '55 and its many positive aspects.

I would lean towards '55 (in spite of losing the Braves and the Browns) because the Dodgers would make it an immediate thematic no-brainer. Really, any time before 1958 would be wonderful.

I wasn't aware that '84 was being planned.

I recall some talk about that season somewhere on the forums.

Also, one mod that I would really like to say made is a mod that includes the Negro Leagues though we maybe limited in resources in trying to find good pics for cyberfaces/portraits etc...

Funny you should say that. Fuzzone was talking about doing a Negro league mod after Total Classics. Give him a PM and ask him about it.

I would lean towards '55 (in spite of losing the Braves and the Browns) because the Dodgers would make it an immediate thematic no-brainer.

I know what you mean about the 1955 Dodger team. But any Dodger team from 1949 to 1956 was just as good. That was the glory years of Brooklyn. Sure wish I was around to see stuff like that.

I just had an idea: Take a season pre-Jackie Robinson, say '30, for no particular reason. Then, have one league for Major Leaguer teams at the time, and one for Negro Leagues at the time. It may not work out, but it's just an idea for now.

Does Total Classics include some Negro League teams? If not, someone should defenitely take that into account, because they're just as deserving as other MLB teams of that era.

The Shot Heard 'Round the World.

Nuff said. I can think of at least one dynasty that would be posted if this mod came to fruition. The Giants, once again, would "...win the pennant!!!"

...and maybe, just maybe, they would finish the job this time.

:D

Quick stats:

-The Giants had TWO 23-game winners - Sal Maglie and Larry Jansen.

-The best center fielder of all-time, Willie Mays, won the NL Rookie of the Year. Gil McDougald took home the AL version.

-The record for no-hitters in a season stands at two - four pitchers have done it. One of those pitchers was New York Yankee Allie Reynolds in 1951 who no-hit Cleveland on July 12 and Boston on September 28.

EDIT:

I think 2 percent of the users would know the players from '51

that's the point of classic mods - to educate new baseball fans on the history of the game. but, then again, why would you say anything except something negative. it's your style.

I think 2 percent of the users would know the players from '51

What about all the players I mentioned in my post like Mantle and Musial? They all know them. And if you look at rosters from that year you will be surprised at how many people you know and heard of on each team.

I would love to see a dead ball era season like 1919.. I think that would be pretty cool.

That is a great idea.

Does Total Classics include some Negro League teams?

Yes, they have the 1934 Pittsburgh Crawfords. Cool Papa Bell is on that team.

I just had an idea: Take a season pre-Jackie Robinson, say '30, for no particular reason. Then, have one league for Major Leaguer teams at the time, and one for Negro Leagues at the time. It may not work out, but it's just an idea for now.

Like chwalton above you, that's a great idea for a mod also.

i remember reading somewhere either on mvpmods or total classics that it is all most impossible for negro league teams to be made because there are no exsisting records..ie: boxscores and things llike that.

Aw hell, I remember reading that too now. And it's true, there's hardly any documentation for those leagues. For example, I read once where Josh Gibson was asked how many homers he hit in the Negro Leagues. He said he had no idea, no one kept track for him. He "guessed" about 900. Same for Satchel Paige. He had no idea how many wins and losses he had. He won so many games he never knew himself. Again, no proper stats or documentation.

What about all the players I mentioned in my post like Mantle and Musial? They all know them. And if you look at rosters from that year you will be surprised at how many people you know and heard of on each team.

I think that the opposite would in fact be true, that people would download these mods to learn all of the players of the past. We tend to remember the hall of famers, but there are plenty of 4 star players that get forgotten over time. Saberhagen will never reach the hall, but he still had a ton of great years.

All these mods are a learning experience. Now we just need to convince the schools.

The Shot Heard 'Round the World.

Nuff said. I can think of at least one dynasty that would be posted if this mod came to fruition. The Giants, once again, would "...win the pennant!!!"

...and maybe, just maybe, they would finish the job this time.

I don't remember, who did finish the job in 1951? It escapes me now my friend.

The GIANTS win the pennant!

I think that the opposite would in fact be true, that people would download these mods to learn all of the players of the past. We tend to remember the hall of famers, but there are plenty of 4 star players that get forgotten over time. Saberhagen will never reach the hall, but he still had a ton of great years.

All these mods are a learning experience. Now we just need to convince the schools.

That's so true. For example, I went to take a look at the 1951 Tigers, a fifth place team that year. They got some notable people on that roster either that made their mark as a Tiger or on another team that you know in the future. George Kell was on that team, a third baseman. Vic Wertz, the guy that hit that ball that Willie Mays caught in the '54 series is on that team. Fred Hutchinson, who went on to manage the Reds. Pitchers Virgil Trucks and Dizzy Trout. Hal Newhouser was there too. So there are some names there on each team that the knowledgeable fan will know.

I'm surprised that the call is that clear, because apparently the only call of the shot was recorded by a guy who was trying to gloat to his New York Giants fan pal that he was going to beat them.

Modern technology I suppose :p

You heard right about that. I was reading a book about this Dodger-Giant playoff series and the only reason why we have this recording of Russ Hodges is because like you said, a Dodger fan wanted to rub it in to all the Giant fans he knew when the Dodgers won. Well, after this happened, this particular Dodger fan was so distraught, he forgot to turn off his tape recorder and the call by Russ Hodges is forever saved in history because of it.

National League

NewYorkG NYG Polo Grounds

Brooklyn BRO Ebbets Field

St.Louis STL Sportsman's Park

BostonBr BSN Braves Field

Phildlpa PHI Shibe Park

Cincnnti CIN Crosley Field

Pittsbgh PIT Forbes Field

ChicagoC CHC Wrigley Field

American League

NewYorkY NYY Yankee Stadium

Clvlnd CLE Cleveland Stadium

BostonRS BOS Fenway Park

ChicagoW CHW Comisky Park

Detroit DET Tiger Stadium

Phildlpa PHA Shibe Park

Washngtn WSH Griffith Stadium

St.Louis Sportsman's Park

So really, Comisky (which I've always thought was Tiger Stadium with the scoreboard put in CF) and Braves Field would be the only two that would be need done for this mod, correct?

Archived