"Classic" Yankee Stadium - W.I.P.

paulw

Have started to work some more on Classic Yankee Stadium (1950 or so) this time with most of the work being done in OEdit. My idea is to get everything as close as possible to the original except the fences. Changing the dimensions with the way this model is layed out is practically impossible to do according to 2 of the best modders in know. Anyhow, here's a pic if anyone's interested.

yankee3.jpg

Lots of work to do yet but starting to get a better feel I think.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ask seano if he is willing to do the walls for you...that will make this compelete.

In short, EA made Yankee Stadium really difficult to mod, but it is possible. For a while I was working on my own modification of Classic Yankee Stadium, but dealing with all the math and the bleachers pretty much burned me out.

(This following section contains a lot of detail, so if you don't want to know more than you need to about Yankee Stadium, skip ahead)

The main problem (i've explained this to a bunch of people before, but I'll reiterate), if you want to get technical, is that the actual field of Yankee Stadium has changed places on 3 different occasions. When it opened in 1923, the field was roughly 60' backwards of where homeplate currently resides. Also, just as a fun fact, the original right field line was a ridiculous 258, with a slight bit of the bleachers creating a deadly corner. In 1928 this was remedied since it was so dangerous, and the field was moved 30' forward. This remained the same until the 1976 revisions, when it was moved about 30' forward again, and sunk 7' down into the ground. This is why the first row of the left and right field corners used to be right on the ground, as opposed to several feet in the air. So to create a fully accurate version, every single vertex in EA's Yankee Stadium would have to be moved backwards 30' and upwards 7', exactly, a task no human being would want to attempt. Also, at this point the first several rows that were added in the 70's would have to be removed to create a uniform 3' wall all around the foul ground.

So this alone would be a big task. But next, and what I had been working on when I gave up, was the process of changing the bleachers. I'll use an example from Clem's Baseball site (http://andrewclem.com/Baseball/YankeeStadium.html) now:

1937 version:

YankeeStadium1937.gif

1988 version:

YankeeStadium1988.gif

You can see that for whatever reason, they carved a giant hole in the left field power alley area where they put in monument park and the bullpens and whatnot that used to be seating. Adding seats to this section is extremely difficult, for the following reason:

yankee701.jpg

The seating area in the bleachers, as you can see in the two images above, have to curve around the perimeter of the field, while the back parts of each bleacher section originate at a completely differently curved point. That's hard enough as it is, but Yankee Stadium also had that rising wall (both the concrete section and fence), so each individual bleacher section must twist in all three dimensions. I managed to modify the bleachers so that the more or less parallel section was done, but gave up before I tried to fill in the monument park area because I would've lost my mind. Also, you have to keep in mind that Day and Night Yankee Stadium had different configurations for the center field screen, along with different crowds, so you can see why this is a nightmare.

So here's the way I was approaching it. You can see if you go to clem's site that the 1988 revision just moved the left field power alley in from 430 to 399, while the wall still remained out there. Also, if you mouse over the 1937 and 1976 link on that page, you'll see that, all things considered, it's not a huge difference from the original. So what should be done, unless someone actually does want to move every pixel around and then remove several rows, is to rearrange the walls and the collision data back to the 1976 revision, only with a slightly more direct path to the straight center field bleacher wall. Once this is done, rebuild the bleachers to fit with the new wall, and somehow put the crowd back up there, which will certainly not be fun. Then, adjust the left field corner to make it ground level, and add the graphics for the wall + fence for the bleacher section, and the big batter's eye screen in dead center.

It's not easy, but it is possible to create a more accurate version. Whether it will ever really be released is anyone's guess. I can't imagine anyone but EA really being able to create an accurate Classic Yankee Stadium.

Man, I'm surprised more people aren't responding to this, since it's about as highly sought-after as any park in the majors. Oh well.

Anyway, if anyone has weird or rare photos from Yankee Stadium (meaning ones not from ballparks.com, ballparktour.com, ballparksofbaseball.com, or the Yankee Stadium book), I would appreciate it. It doesn't really matter what era it's from (as long as it's pre-1976, of course), since everything will help out in some manner.

Also, for Paul and anyone else interested, digitalballparks.com has a ridiculous amount of pictures of Yankee Stadium from 1957.

http://digitalballparks.com/Yanks1.html

If you've never been to the site itself, it has great pictures of countless parks, including the Polo Grounds, Ebbets field (http://digitalballparks.com/Ebbets1.html) and a bunch of others. Not all of them are old, but those that are provide priceless information. They also doctored some photos of the LA Coliseum which proved extremely useful to me when I was working on that park.

Most importantly at the moment, perhaps, are the exclusive photos of Briggs / Tiger Stadium in Detroit following Comerica's opening. It's going to be a sad day when that jewel is torn down.

Sean O'

I glad that you are or someone else thinking about doing this stadium the way it used to be classic and big!! I understood what you said earlier in the year and that is way I shut my mouth up about since then.. I hope you or whoever can do this project because like you said it is a very hard project .. I hope you got a great reply for me when you get the chance??

Thanks,

NotreDame1

We definetly have plans for moving the walls. There's a lot of stuff that's going to need to be worked out. My idea is to get as good a feel as possible that you're in old time Yankee Stadium. Hory, I already used one of your pics as a reference for the Gem sign in right. Thanks again.

(Hi Tony!)

Sean O'

I glad that you are or someone else thinking about doing this stadium the way it used to be classic and big!! I understood what you said earlier in the year and that is way I shut my mouth up about since then.. I hope you or whoever can do this project because like you said it is a very hard project .. I hope you got a great reply for me when you get the chance??

Thanks,

NotreDame1

Hiya-

Yeah, I really wasn't planning on doing anything else, ever, until I saw Paul restart work on Classic Yankee Stadium. A couple weeks ago, as I mentioned, I was trying to see what I could do with Classic Yankee Stadium, but I knew I couldn't do it alone. I know Paul has ridiculous skill, and so undoubtedly he deserves most of the credit for the final project. I'm going to try to edit what is a very difficult park into an accurate enough representation of the old park, probably in stages so neither of us loses his mind. The first step, as we've mentioned, is to move the walls back to their more-or-less correct space. After that, hopefully we can edit the wall heights to their correct specifications, and if I get overwhelmingly motivated, attempt to deal with the bleacher situation.

It's funny because my interest in this project is in spite of a very, very antipathetic attitude towards the Yankees. I do, however, think Classic Yankee Stadium was a wonderful park, whether the 1920s or 1930s-1970s version, and I want to make it as accurate and representational as possible. It is a tragedy how Steinbrenner ruined it in the 70s, and I would love to play in the real Yankee Stadium.

Paul:

That is great! I have not forgot about your request to tweak the Mick face. Tried a bit but am way off.

Thanks. I really liked the Mickey Mantle face you did for 2004. The *best* face mod I ever saw - no question. So much better than EA's from this year.

Archived