"Classic" Yankee Stadium - W.I.P.

paulw

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After spending the better part of the day doing my work on Classic Yankee Stadium, I can say it simply looks incredible. The graphics are spot-on, the frieze and the roof cover the entire upper deck, and you can finally experience what Death Valley really meant back in those days. It's really a hoot. Plus, there's one other change that took hours of oediting, but should help to complete the look, even if it is rather subtle.

Here's a teaser pic of a Ted Williams RBI single in a 1941 Yankees vs. 1941 Red Sox game:

ysted1yg.th.jpg

In the future, i'm hoping to make the walls their accurate heights, with the slim possibility of a complete re-do of the bleachers.

Here's the latest shot. Added actual photos of the three monuments in center. Need to add a couple of light standards on top of the stands and attempt to make scoreboard working (think I got this figured out). Tony - I've got this now as AA Stadium 3 Night. It can basically replace any stadium you'd like.

yankee5.jpg

The mispelled tomorrow (which I may have mispelled now) is my trademark. I always like to screw something up just a litte - it's like a signature. Take a look at how Taylor is spelled on the scoreboard in Shibe Park. You should find some stuff in Ebbets too.

Sometimes I do this at work - maybe you could be my editor!

Anyhow, thanks for the attention to detail. The real thing is now available. Thanks for the comments :-)

The mispelled tomorrow (which I may have mispelled now) is my trademark.

Mistakes are my trademark too, they're just not intentional. Or, often noticed by me before release.

The plaques are set about 15' from the center field wall, however they have no collision attached to them. It's just too freaking hard to figure out how that is, so it's invisible physically. Still looks great though.

Hope everyone enjoys the park.

Paul / Sean - Great work on this.

Paul - Does this version replace the other classic Yankee Stadium you did? With that one, you said it was a 1950's version of Yankee Stadium. For this new one, you state that it's a 1940 - 1960 version (i.e. it overlaps the time period of your previous version.

I'm trying to decide whether to use just the new one or to keep both. I know that the only way for me to decide is to try both of them, but I was curious to hear what your intentions were (i.e. does this compliment your last version or replace it?).

nice work! some detailing can make it even better though. I think the frieze on the roof can look better if you use higher resolution textures instead of the EA default frieze texture. Like in Y2K's implementation of the modern Yankee stadium, he used a new and larger frieze texture, which is a definite improvement over EA's original version. Also, some transparency could be added to the openings in the frieze.

Also, the field level wall around the stadium perimeter (except outfield) are more fencelike instead of a solid wall (not sure if that's doable, and if it is doable, i don't know if it will look good). The fence in front of the dugout should be removed since it didn't exist back then.

Also, the ads in the outfield could be lowered a bit (since there's a dead blackspace between the ads and the bleachers) I guess the sloping down outfield wall is impossible to do right?

nice work! some detailing can make it even better though. I think the frieze on the roof can look better if you use higher resolution textures instead of the EA default frieze texture. Like in Y2K's implementation of the modern Yankee stadium, he used a new and larger frieze texture, which is a definite improvement over EA's original version. Also, some transparency could be added to the openings in the frieze.

Also, the field level wall around the stadium perimeter (except outfield) are more fencelike instead of a solid wall (not sure if that's doable, and if it is doable, i don't know if it will look good). The fence in front of the dugout should be removed since it didn't exist back then.

Also, the ads in the outfield could be lowered a bit (since there's a dead blackspace between the ads and the bleachers) I guess the sloping down outfield wall is impossible to do right?

The sloped outfield wall is possible, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Figuring out the exact angles and heights is annoying, but not impossible.

Before I forget again, thanks to Micropterus58 for sending me pictures of old Yankee Stadium. I appreciated it.

Paul - Does this version replace the other classic Yankee Stadium you did? With that one, you said it was a 1950's version of Yankee Stadium. For this new one, you state that it's a 1940 - 1960 version (i.e. it overlaps the time period of your previous version.

I'm trying to decide whether to use just the new one or to keep both. I know that the only way for me to decide is to try both of them, but I was curious to hear what your intentions were (i.e. does this compliment your last version or replace it?).

This is made to replace the old version. I put in the years 1940 to 1960 as kind of a rough figure. It's kind of vague - they added a new scoreboard around 1960 or so. Sean would know better as he is an absolute whiz on stadium history.

FINALLY - To anyone downloading Yankee I'd greatly appreciate your help. This is kind of a beta version. Set it at rookie and start banging long flies out to left. I received one email on a crash that happened this way. Let me know if you have *ANY* problems. Also, if you hit the monuments let me know. I moved these back very close to the wall in order to facilate collision detection issues. Let me know what happens and what it looked like. There will definetly be another versions of this - at the miniumum addressing any problems found and adding some of your very good suggestsions. THANKS!

Fuzz-Balls will most likely bounce off the bottom part of the scoreboard but not the top half. Do you really hit them THAT far

Hi. Just downloaded it and played a game. Couple things I noticed and I'm sorry if they have been brought up in the thread before. Didn't have time to read the whole thing.

1. The Longines Clock is named Longtimes for some reason. I think this has to do with the scoreboard being remade for folks desks by Longtimes. The actual clock was Longines.

2. The latice wasn't made transparent so you could see thru the fencing.

Other than that, didn't have a problem other than hitting a homer over the 461 foot in centerfield being called 432 feet by the program.

Great job!!!!

Archived