Site Issues

Trues

I was making the progression mod, the one that was to be used instead of Bill Harris' mod, because it allowed minor leaguers to progress at faster rates. Also it makes people progress in different rates, like younger people have more likeliness to progress, and for older folks, to have higher probabilities of degrading. The files that were in charge of that in Bill Harris' mod were quite puzzling, like when you are 20-30 you progress poorly and when you hit 31 then you can progress well, followed by at 35 progressing downwards and then at 39 heading upwards again. I was puzzled when I saw that.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was making the progression mod, the one that was to be used instead of Bill Harris' mod, because it allowed minor leaguers to progress at faster rates. Also it makes people progress in different rates, like younger people have more likeliness to progress, and for older folks, to have higher probabilities of degrading. The files that were in charge of that in Bill Harris' mod were quite puzzling, like when you are 20-30 you progress poorly and when you hit 31 then you can progress well, followed by at 35 progressing downwards and then at 39 heading upwards again. I was puzzled when I saw that.

dude, thats a pretty cool mod, release it!

Yea, that sounds like an awesome mod.

What is up with 3 of the downloads. I downloaded the models.big, all 3 major ones(thanks to the lighting quick donwload speed). The bs-lite, bs-moser and bs-ace all don't work for me. When I try to extract the models.big, it gives me a corrupt archive error, and I know that this time I downloaded it fully, not having it cut out on me. Does anyone know what the issue can be, or better yet, a solution

Unfortunately this kind of system gets abused alot. People will always find a way around paying for anything, no matter how cheap or important it is. Look at the amount of sites offering illegal downloads... people just avoid paying for things.

Thankfully the site is cheap enough to maintain that we can survive, even with people "donating" a buck, or donating a decent amount of money, then taking it back. If we can get a few people to donate $20, and we can start to alleviate the server strain (more mirrors, less downloads, whatever), then we should be able to survive.

P.S. to Trues, I've started uploading files. Are there any you want to be mirrored more than others? Also, I'm using two servers, one for smaller files (nathanbent.net), and one for big (nathanbent.be), just an FYI if you notice two similar ones.

Is Paypal the only way to donate? If I could leave 20 bucks under someone's door it would be a lot easier :p. It's just a pain not having a credit card and setting up an account because this would be the only place I'd use it. Too bad no one else lives in Alaska or I could seriously just donate to them.

For the long term good of the site the last thing I'd want to see is people donating $1 to help with the site's upkeep and then expecting that donation to be seen as payment for services rendered - i.e paying for mods.

I think the idea to solve the bandwidth problem is to give download privleges to those who contribute to the site, be it helping people on the forums, making mods, giving constructive feedback, using the search function :wink: etc etc

I suspect it will be similar to the 'trusted member' system that was used in the off-topic forums for a time last year

So you don't neccessarily have to donate -just wait and see what Trues announces in the next couple of days before jumping to conclusions

Many factors will be considered. Helping out other members in the forums is a huge contribution in my book. Once I have the group completed, it will be opened up for people to apply.

so the download section would be open to ppl who start donating a dollar? This is my perception from reading others posts

Since I can not remember a month when this site has not met its goal, $1 might not cut it. From what I can tell this is not a money issue but just a bandwidth issue. Limiting access to the downloads will stop the site from being drained.

Sure Trues could go to a bigger server which would cost a lot more, and the cost I'm sure would be covered for at least a while by donations. But most people want a contract when you get a new server, and if the popularity of this site drops Trues is boned.

If it was me (and remember I'm a prick) I would not allow donations enter into it at all, support the site by making mods or helping people to gain access. That way EA & MLB could never get the wrong idea.

Another way to save bandwidth would require the mods to release updates instead of a complete new package.

For example and I'm not picking on this download but the models.big files, when a new roster would come out people would download another 300MB for the models.big when only 1-2 mb is really changed in the file

How about limiting how many files or megabytes regular users can download in a certain time period, or setting a max speed for each download? That way if someone just wanted to download a datafile or something tiny, they could. Maybe you could restrict certain downloads to contributors only.

Does the search function cause any strain on the server? If it did, maybe you could make a cached search system for common keywords, so when someone looks up "models.big" the server doesn't have to search through all the threads, it just displays the cached results.

I'm just tossing out ideas, not sure if any of those are possible.

haven't been around due to computer difficulty, so I'm not really up to date and correct me if I'm wrong here, but the download section is available only to a contributor's group? ... which consists of modders, respected board members and donators?

Hopefully I'm a respected board member otherwise my baseball gamelife has officially ended.

but the download section is available only to a contributor's group? ... which consists of modders, respected board members and donators?

Nope. It's not limited to that group because I'm a Trusted Member (at least my profile says so), AND I contributed my Pro Sliders which have been downloaded a ton of times but I can't access the download section either. Says it's restricted to me as well.

What is up with 3 of the downloads. I downloaded the models.big, all 3 major ones(thanks to the lighting quick donwload speed). The bs-lite, bs-moser and bs-ace all don't work for me. When I try to extract the models.big, it gives me a corrupt archive error, and I know that this time I downloaded it fully, not having it cut out on me. Does anyone know what the issue can be, or better yet, a solution

you'll get incomplete downloads many times if you don't use a download manager like GetRight or something...

My suggestion, as a temporary fix for the bandwidth problem, those of us who can download stuff, with the permission of the modder, can reupload them back to sendspace or yousendit or something.

Nope. It's not limited to that group because I'm a Trusted Member (at least my profile says so), AND I contributed my Pro Sliders which have been downloaded a ton of times but I can't access the download section either. Says it's restricted to me as well.

Yeah same here. I dunno if Trues is still updating that group with more people, but I hope he is. Not sure if I "qualify", but I feel that I've supportive of this site (paying my respects to the modders atleast) and I've never cluttered the board with nonsense or spam of any kind.

Not trying to start a campaign for myself, just hoping that I'll be able to download these mods.

you guys have to remember... theres 34,000 freakin members... so sorting through will take a heck of a lot of time and this guy does have a life... what hes probably doin is starting with the existing groups "ie trusted members, mod squad, forum fanatics, etc" and then on to major contributors, modders, and then on to the oldest, most active members and working his way through... its going to tak ea long time, but nate and some other guys are uploading the most popular mods on other sites for the time being, so check those out

also nate, my portrait file was somehow corrupt and i re-dled from your site and the file was corrupt out of the rar.... but it was fine from the other mirror... maybe its just me tho... might wanna try instead downloading the file from that mirror, the uploading it to yours...

you'll get incomplete downloads many times if you don't use a download manager like GetRight or something...My suggestion, as a temporary fix for the bandwidth problem, those of us who can download stuff, with the permission of the modder, can reupload them back to sendspace or yousendit or something.

I figured out the issue, I used unzipthemall to extract, because I had not realized that it was an ACE archive.

Archived