Site Issues

Trues

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know at nationalsigleague.com they just went through the forums and deleted like 300 posts and moved/reorganized a lot more...it really is easy to use now. Good luck with this Trues.

BTW Thug, your new sig is BEASTLY...nice work by KC as always!

-BBHD

I know at nationalsigleague.com they just went through the forums and deleted like 300 posts and moved/reorganized a lot more...it really is easy to use now. Good luck with this Trues.

BTW Thug, your new sig is BEASTLY...nice work by KC as always!

-BBHD

Thanks. KC just made it for me.

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but why is this site so damn slow all of the time? Thank god it's January.

Well, some people don't keep in mind the amount of members on this site has nearly quadrupled since we first signed on board the site here. We're close to breaking 20,000. There are a lot of old topics that have been just cluttering the boards, and because of this it's hard to really get around the boards.

My solution was to clear out the old topics via pruning (meaning the topic gets deleted if not replied to in X amount of days), and to try and optimize the SQL tables. Archiving old posts by putting them on a seperate database or something sounds good, but probably not likely. Or if all else fails, try to host the forums on an seperate server? *sigh* I don't know. Personally I was considering restructuring the forums themselves.

-KC

I agree with KC. Prune off-topic posts.

I don't see a point in keeping a post about the 'song of the day' from November.

And so the KC Restructuring Plan comes in. These are my ideas, which I'm sure everyone can agree with.

-MVP 2004 would be left as is, just leave the settings as read-only because most users don't post on those forums as often and they use the 2004 boards for reference to certain things.

- A new category titled MLB would be created, similar to my forums. This newly created category would contain 3 forums. Press Pass (formerly known as MLB) would contain all Baseball related news. Baseball 101 stays. Baseball History stays.

-A new category titled Off Topic will house all off-topic discussions. However, this category should be special, in the fact that every forum will prune topics that have not been replied to under a certain amount of time monthly. Off topic threads deserve to be called so because they hold no weight, so to speak on the site. They aren't related to MVP Mods so they should not be kept around for long. Left Field gets moved there, as well as two new forums, if not edit the existing ones. Graphics become "Creative Discussions", in which it becomes more than just signatures. People can post their most recent creative ideas or whatnot. Along with that forum, a new one can begin titled The Basement, in which all PC Hardware/Software discussion can be held.

-The MVPMods.com categories shall only house three forums. Site & Forum Issues go first, Ladder games go 2nd, and Total Classics (because the site sponsors this mod) go there.

-The modders den is eliminated. Every other category and forum stays.

How's that?

-KC

You guys won't believe what pruning does. It makes a site a lot faster. There are over 13,000 topics on the website, and I bet more than half are here for no reason at all. Getting rid of all those topics will make the site a lot faster. I had an old PHP-Nuke site, and pruning the forum of that site really made the whole site a lot faster.

KC, I love your idea. It will make the site a lot more organized.

Y4L- LOL, good idea!

Also, if I were you, Trues, I'd look into Kraw's idea of getting an accelerator.

Looks like parts of the restructuring plan took affect. I love you Trues! (in a non-homosexual way)

LOL, me too! The site is a lot faster, although I still think it would be super-fast if all of those old, useless topics are deleted. Anyway, the site's a lot better now. Great job, Trues!

BTW- great sig KC!

Looks like parts of the restructuring plan took affect. I love you Trues! (in a non-homosexual way)

Yes, some restructuring was done. In the end though, the forum block on the front page was the culprit. I switched back to the old one, it's not as pretty but it's much faster.

Archived