"Convenience" Fees

Last week or the week before when I was at work, a co-worker of mine was talking to someone about purchasing tickets online to see a play up in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Where I live, we are not far from Toronto and that's the place to go to have a nice time or see a ball game. Since I live in Central New York, the closest cities that are bigger than mine are Buffalo and Toronto. It is no wonder why folks around here choose to go to Toronto because Buffalo is a toilet.

Ok, so back to the story. They were talking about getting the tickets and where they were sitting, etc. The tickets they told me cost about $100 Canadian and they had to pay a $30 dollar convenience fee. I didn't know what that was and they told me that because these tickets to the play were purchased online, an additional fee of 30 dollars, a "convenience" fee would be tacked on.

Now I couldn't believe this but apparently this has been going on for some time. I can't believe someone had the idea to charge more for customers to use a website to order stuff like this and that people don't bit** about it. I mean, when this internet thing started taking off in the last decade, people wanted you to go to their site to check it out. Well, they still do, but if you order something like this, you are going to get screwed. I thought the purpose of ordering this kind of stuff was supposed to make it convenient for the customer and not the seller.

I'm afraid to ask what's next.

That's interesting. I totally agree with you. This Convenience Fee is stupid. It's just another way to make money, but you have to remember that that's the point of business. Anyway, that's why I don't buy stuff online unless I have to. Especially clothing. If something doesn't fit, it's a pain to ship it back. But from the store, you can try it on in there.

Y4L, welcome to Toronto!

It's a regular thing up here now. It's getting out of hand though, for instance:

If you want to purchase tickets online and print them at home, there is a fee for that. Now tell me, how in their right mind can they charge me for me using my own paper and ink? It's a cash grab plain and simple. They can boast that they didn't raise ticket prices, but never mention that you have to pay 50% of the ticket price in fees. BS!

If you really want a laugh and to boost your blood pressure at the same time, try asking a ticket issuer why you have to pay a convenience fee, or what it covers? They never have a good answer.

Rather than paying these fees I now buy tickets from scalpers. Thankfully, they don't charge fees and hell, they pretty much come to me. That's convenience!

Y4L if you ever need tickets for something in Toronto, let me know I'll pick them up for you. Then you can pay me a $30 "holding" fee! :)

Oh man this sounds like it could be a running joke for months.

KC, I don't get the joke.

carter wrote:

Y4L if you ever need tickets for something in Toronto, let me know I'll pick them up for you. Then you can pay me a $30 "holding" fee!

Thank you for the offer, but I don't think I will be going to Toronto any time soon.

Another thing everyone that is going to be started in 2007, is the requirement that you have a passport to go to Canada. That's about $110. So if my wife and I want to see the Yankees next year, we got to fork over $220 and change just for the passport because the people in charge of things have to think of new ways they can squeeze money out of us in the name of National Security.

I go to all the Jays/Yankees games at Rogers Centre all the time. See you there!

Don't you find that when the Yankees are in town that there are more Yankees fans in the stands than Jays fans? It's great though - the rivalries in the stands that is.

At least minor league parks are cheap. I can afford to bring six people to a SI Yankee game. Only 10 bucks a ticket, and last time I checked to get box seats, it's only 20 bucks for the whole thing!

Hey Y4L, you can always go to the Mets games!

i hate ripoff master...that's why i try to travel down to the stadium to get my tickets instead of paying ripoff master their 30%. it's worth the gas money and getting the seats you want becuase ripoff master usually has the crummy tickets.

Archived