Box Score Extractor

tywiggins

I should have it finished within a day or two. I attached the latest build of the program. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

What I still have to do for the text file:

Game totals for batting, fielding, pitching

Inning summarys in the game log

name the boxscore based on the team and the game #

Then I need to do the html file. neojonas has written the boxscore html for me. I think it looks great. Here's the address for it:

http://www.microtracesolutions.com/boxscore/boxscore.htm

EDIT: version 0.10 removed

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'm done with the text only version.

I fixed a few errors and added some stuff.

1. Extra innings would cause the home team's linescore to repeat some innings. -- Fixed

2. The program now will now not crash if you run it before 9 players have come to bat for each team. -- Fixed

3. I forgot to output the HR's that a pitcher gave up. -- Fixed

4. Totals are now outputted for each category -- Added

5. Pitchers records are now displayed next to their name in the pitcher's stats -- Added

6. The program now exports to textboxscores folder. -- Added

7. The program now asks you if you want to name the boxscore for the home team or the visiting team -- Added

8. There are probably some more that I'm forgetting.

Example of #7. If the Kansas City Royals are playing at home against the Detroit Tigers. Lets say Kansas City has played 50 games and Detroit has played 49.

If you press 'h' or 'H' when the program asks you,

The file will be named: "KC51.csv"

If instead you pressed any other key,

The file will be named: "DET50.csv"

EDIT: version 0.11 removed

The only problem I see right now with changing the background color on the html file is all the team logos have a white background on them and that might look a little funny with a colored background. Maybe I'll fool around with some ideas. If any else has ideas, send 'em my way...thanks!

Even a white background would be fine, but as it's not specified, HTML reverts to the default colour which is based on the primary graphics used by the OS. In my case, that's black, so I have a black background with red text and white logos. Also, the white background colour rollover on the stats only occurs when the row has been rolled over, so as you can see from the screenshot below, it's black and red until rolled over, then it goes white after it's been rolled over.

boxscore4ja.png

If that doesn't make sense (I can see how it can't ;) ), try changing your display options to High Contrast or something similar and load the page.

The only problem that I have is the stat layout (not much of a problem, more an annoyance). Putting the season stats right next to the game stats really clutters things up and makes it difficult to read. Though I'm not sure how else you would do it so I can't really give a good suggestion.

I just tried it for the first time and it's great. A few things I noticed;

Agreed with snepp, it does make things a little hard to read. Something like the format boxscorers use, where the line would be, for example, "Alex Rodriguez singles (19), Derek Jeter to 3rd" in the inning-by-inning run-down would be nicer, I think. Or maybe a section at the end for season totals. Just randomly brainstorming here. :)

In the game, I had a situation where I had flied out, singled, flied out again and singled again, bringing up Randy Ruiz with 2 out and 2 on. He grounded into a force out at second base, but the recap said "Randy Ruiz reached base on a fielder's choice." I was impressed with the fact it picked this up, but again, something like "Randy Ruiz grounds into force out, [player name] out at [base]" would be nice, or even just "Randy Ruiz grounds into force out" would be cool as it implies the inning was ended anyway.

Finally, and again, I was impressed with this being picked up, with Justin Christian at 3rd base with 2 out and Gabe Lopez at the plate, I tried to pull a squeeze to drive in a run, with Gabe being a good bunter and Christian being very fast. Well, Gabe totally missed the bunt and Justin was out by a mile at home, ending the game. I had no idea what the recap would say about this, but it dealt with it very nicely.

1 question - what's the difference between the home team export and the road team? I had a look, but I couldn't see anything. Is it just for archival purposes, with the game number in the filename?

Anyway, great job, ty. Looking forward to a final! :D