TOTAL CLASSICS 3.0 COMPLETED!

fuzzone

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we'll have to do a better job of communicating what team packs are being worked on. In two weeks, the number of pre WWII team modders has quadrupled. I have a post near the bottom of page 10 that had the list of teams that I'd be working on and the early Cubs were on it and alas the post comes the morning after I spent most of Sunday on the 08 Cubs & 09 Tigers portrait packs. The 09 Pirates and 10 A's mets and portraits have been done for more than a week, just need to find and add some logos (see post on page 12).

I know I'm a rookie when it comes to teams and there's probably a lot that some don't like about my packs:

Generic Pitching Deliveries: I hate slow windups. I know they're accurate, but when playing with old pitchers with a slow deliberate windup, I find myself allowing base runners just so I can pitch from the stretch and move the inning along.

Old card pics: I think the old cards look cool and give the game a vintage look. I only use them when I can't find a good quality picture of the player in the general time of the team pack. Most quality pics of players like Cobb, Wagner, and Mathewson are from late in their careers and they look 50 years old.

Speeds: Many of the teams have the full range from 10-100. Depending on the datafile used, this may be fine. The altered rodkey ones (at least for me) improve fielding ranges and arms where a runner with 10 gets thrown out a lot on long hits that should always be doubles but 100 speed guys are still too fast and are triple machines. I've settled on a 40-90 range with only super speedsters going as high as 96 and most pitchers, backup catchers, and guys running with shackles attached are in the 40's. The ratings are based on SB ratio to times on base and 2Bs and 3Bs (and home park) are factored in.

Fielding (& Range): Minimums of 2. Helps take care of line drive through the head or chest of players and go for a 3B or worse in the Polo Grounds and balls that might require movement of 6 inches by the fielder that get through.

OK, I'll stop venting. If my teams/portraits stink and there are better modders to do old teams just tell me and I'll just enjoy the stuff others come out with and not use up time on creating. If they're ok and it's just a comm issue, let's work on it.

Deadballfan

No, please don't stop! I love the packs. I'm really getting into old time baseball lately and have loved that you are uploading old time team packs. The work you do is great. Even if I or other maybe don't agree with the ratings, it takes like 2 seconds to change. Getting them to look right/right batting stance/pitching motion/right pitching descriptions and the portraits and jerseys is the hard work and something I don't know how to do. For my next dynasty I'm waiting for more old time team packs to be uploaded and have a whole team of older players. I already know some of the guys I want to use(Cobb, Cool Papa Bell, Wagner, J. Gibson, Mathewson, Paige) that are already there and theres more that I'm hoping get uploaded(Sisler, Speaker, Hornsby to name a few). I don't know about others but I greatly appreciate someone doing the old time players.

Also, I agree about the pitching windups. I tried using Walter Johnson in one of my dynasties, and I kept getting lit up cause of the slow windup. I found it really hard to time compared to what I'm used to. I also found myself intentionally walking someone just so I'd throw from the stretch. I then started a dynasty with Christy Mathewson from the 1905 Giants that was uploaded with the generic pitching windup and have done great with him(oddly enough, everytime I sim they leave him in all game, even if he gives up 2 or 3 runs. Which is pretty accurate since they'd leave them in all game unless they got lit up in the past, I just found it odd that the computer was doing the same with him, and wouldn't with like Schmidt who has the same stamina in my dynasty).

yeah deadball, i like ur packs too, i just dont think ill be able to do logos for every pack that comes my way.

look over at www.chriscreamer.com and www.logoserver.com

choose a team logo, and then open up photoshop and add a little style to it, like maybe add the year and so on.

if u have logos, send them my way if u need help. I prefer you try on your own first. but ill help. be cool if we had the

Kansas City Athletics uniforms.

I guess we'll have to do a better job of communicating what team packs are being worked on. In two weeks, the number of pre WWII team modders has quadrupled. I have a post near the bottom of page 10 that had the list of teams that I'd be working on and the early Cubs were on it and alas the post comes the morning after I spent most of Sunday on the 08 Cubs & 09 Tigers portrait packs. The 09 Pirates and 10 A's mets and portraits have been done for more than a week, just need to find and add some logos (see post on page 12).

I definetly didn't mean to step on anyone's toes,deadballfan, and apologize if you felt that I did.

I wasn't planning on making any teams for uploading purposes(mainly because I was practicaly clueless on where to begin/go about it)

I just began to learn slowly,adding portraits,tweaking atrributes etc,and happened to finish(though it still needs alot of work imo) a 1908 cubs team with portraits.

I then sent them to fuzz via email to look over,tweak,add logos if he wanted etc.

I look foward to your team packs deadball and would miss them if you stopped,I play and enjoy your 1905 giants team regurlarly

and am glad to and look foward to exchanging info on how to go about producing accurate and fun old time teams.

:D

TheGreyEaglelarge.jpg

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. Double XX, my apologies for reading into things that just weren't happening. From now on, I won't check the msg boards with a migraine from too much portrait work and not enough sleep. :) Then maybe some rational thinking will go into my posts. BTW, saw "Hero" this afternoon. Great movie, if you don't mind subtitles and Crouching Tiger style fights.

Fuzz, my main problem with any graphical work is that I don't have Photoshop but rather Paint Shop Pro 4. That's not a typo, yes, version 4. Are they on version 8 or 9 now? It's still the same principle, correct? I'll need the logo on one bitmap and then the other (8-bit alpha) will be black and white where black hides and white shows through? I'll try to make some alphas out of the A's logos, and the Pirates when I find some of that team.

Deadballfan

Just uploaded the 1910 Philadelphia A's pack with the logos. Didn't turn out to be as hard as I thought it would be to make the alphas, but then again I didn't get too fancy either. :) Hope everyone saved Shibe Park now that there's a team that would actually use it as home.

cool deadball.

regarding everyone else, I'm having trouble keeping up with who wants what.

If you need logos, email me. If you have logos but would like me to incorpate a year or something like i did for the "Gas House Gang", then let me know.

I should have mostly everything done by tomorrow. The only thing I'm aware of and have left to do is the 1908 Cubs.

hey deadball, for those pirates logos, u just released, did u create the BIG Red P with the small -irates-???

just curious. Hope you dont mind if i adjust those logos a bit. Im working right now on the 1908 cubs, those should turn out nice thanks to help from Rolie.

and then theres the orioles and Cards logos u sent me Deadball,not sure what year tho. I emailed u about it.

Fuzz,

Replied to your email about the Cards and O's. Yeah, the big P little irates logo was decent but I had to resize the P from a smaller graphic and I tried my best to clean it up. The Pitts 09 is an edit over the 61, changed the 6 to a 0 and the first nine was copied over the 1 with the TM moved over. Anything to make the graphics better is fine by me.

Are the A's logos passable? I had more graphics to work with to actually create different logos. The Pirates - I mainly just had the capital P. The '09 uniform had a logo on the sleeve with a large B with a P wrapped around the top curve and a C around the bottom curve. (Pittsburgh Baseball Club) Tried a few times to make that in the red but I didn't like my work and the big P little irates logo turned out better.

Deadballfan

Fuzz,

Replied to your email about the Cards and O's. Yeah, the big P little irates logo was decent but I had to resize the P from a smaller graphic and I tried my best to clean it up. The Pitts 09 is an edit over the 61, changed the 6 to a 0 and the first nine was copied over the 1 with the TM moved over. Anything to make the graphics better is fine by me.

Are the A's logos passable? I had more graphics to work with to actually create different logos. The Pirates - I mainly just had the capital P. The '09 uniform had a logo on the sleeve with a large B with a P wrapped around the top curve and a C around the bottom curve. (Pittsburgh Baseball Club) Tried a few times to make that in the red but I didn't like my work and the big P little irates logo turned out better.

Deadballfan

I never got ur reply regarding those 2 teams.

ok,i've started work on the 09 Pirates. Good team,logos need a bit work. I was going to do the 1910 A's, but the scheme is fine.

so basically, im going to do in the order i've received the logos.

09 Pirates

97 mariners

92 Blue Jays

1968 Cards

1970 Orioles.

and then, unless there are any more packs coming my way, im going to release Total Classics 2.5

Wow, will AA be full by the time all these packs are done? That'd be sweet. Let me know if you need/want any help with portraits.

Fuzz has a met that I sent for the 1970 O's that was converted from Alex, Capa, et al 's Classic Roster and then I did portraits for it. It's a complete set of 22 (didn't redo Palmer or Brooks Robinson, already in the game) It's up to you and fuzz which met to use. All I did was delete 3 players and adjust speed ratings to the 40-92 system.

Some of the other teams' portraits should be mostly done already. There's 4 or 5 members of the 02 Pirates on the 09 club and the Yanks, Dodgers and Reds should have even more due to there being teams 2 years after each of those 3.

Deadballfan

Archived