What I Should Have Done...

sfgiantsflgators

Two months into the season, what do you see as the Giants biggest need?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• There is no pressing need
    • Another power bat
    • Veteran reliever
    • Everyday third baseman

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 21, 2007

Schierholtz Gets the Call; Niekro DFA'd

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - The San Francisco Giants announced today that another prospect will be making the jump from Fresno; this time in the form of outfielder Nate Schierholtz.

Schierholtz will join former minor-league teammate Eddy Martinez-Esteve in San Francisco and will be available to play tonight versus Houston. The Giants hope that Schierholtz will make the same impact that EME has since his debut. EME has hit .283 with five home runs and nine RBI since being called up.

Schierholtz started the season in Class-AA Connecticut, hitting just .233 with two home runs and 20 RBI. He was called up to Class-AAA Fresno a little less than a month ago and has been on fire since, hitting .429 with two home runs and six RBI in just 28 at bats.

As a result of the move, first baseman Lance Niekro has been designated for assignment. According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, there aren't a lot of teams interested and Niekro could end up in Fresno.

Cove Shots: Another move was made today as Randy Walter was promoted to Fresno. Walter hit .314 with one home run and 10 RBI with Connecticut this season. He posted an OBP of .405.

Question:

I thought about doing this (and probably should have done) before starting the dynasty, but I didn't. What's your take on doing it now?

I have CPU trades turned off because I don't like the trades they make. I thought they would still sign free agents, but alas, they don't. Also, I have Klesko, Durham, Roberts, etc. in the farm system and obviously won't be using them in this dynasty. So I'm thinking about releasing those guys and turning CPU trades on so they will sign players.

I guess I could use the Team Changer to undo trades I don't agree with.

Thoughts?

I would try to trade those guys and bring in some younger talent - maybe not MLB talent, but guys who might make an impact down the road (if you get that far).

I thought about that - but technically, they were never signed by the Giants in the world I've created. So I don't know how I feel about getting young guys for players I don't technically have the rights for :D

I think I'm just going to throw them all in the free agent pool and go from there.

I'm going to control two things:

1. trades I don't agree with

2. Roger Clemens won't sign until after the ASG and will go to either Boston, New York, or Houston...depending on who is in the best position for a playoff run.

Bonds needs to return so you can get back on that HR chase. Also to up his All-Star votes a little bit. T-minus 9 to Go! :smile:

heh...yeah, I'm ready to get him back in that lineup. although, the offense really turned it on after he left. hopefully we can keep it going.

good news for Giants fans - Blownitez will be on the next plane out of SF. news to follow.

heh...yeah, I'm ready to get him back in that lineup. although, the offense really turned it on after he left. hopefully we can keep it going.

good news for Giants fans - Blownitez will be on the next plane out of SF. news to follow.

And hopefully the plane will go into the Bermuda Triangle? That would be actually sad.

May 21, 2007

Giants Finally Find Taker for Benitez, Get Petit From Florida

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - The San Francisco Giants announced today that the long-rumored trade of Armando Benitez has finally gone through.

All through spring training, the Giants and Florida Marlins discussed a potential trade that would send Benitez to Florida for Yusmeiro Petit. The hang up has continued to be Benitez's salary, which Florida wanted the Giants to pay all of.

In the end, it was agreed that Florida will pay the equivalent of the Major League minimum and the Giants will take care of the rest. Petit will report to Class-AAA Fresno.

next time a outfielder gets hurt u should bring up jason. by the way how has threets been doing in the minors cuase i no he can hit 100mph on the radar

Threets is in Fresno right now:

18 IP, 7 ER, 11 K, 6 BB

As for Ellison, it would probably take two injuries...I'm higher on Ortmeier than I am Jason (and Dan has hit 10 points higher than Ellison in Fresno so far this season). We'll see how it goes - if Jason turns it on, he might get the call. The main focus right now though is on Schierholtz.

Thanks for checking in man :D

Helms: .348, 9 HR, 31 RBI

Burrell: .296, 10 HR, 30 RBI

Here's Philadelphia's stat page:

http://sfgiantsflgators.tripod.com//Rosters/PHI_stats.html

Thanks for checking in :D

Why is Burrell anywhere close to the All-Star Game in this dynasty!! He isn't in the top 10 in any stat and the only one he is close to is RBIs.

Anyhow - sorry bout the rant.

Great work on this dynasty! :wtg:

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

May 21, 2007

Linden Drives in Six as Giants Continue Dominance of Houston

with 10-1 Victory

521endln4.jpg

1linyv7.jpg

Wandy Rodriguez made quick work of the Giants in the first two innings; but his struggles against San

Francisco would continue in the bottom of the third when he loaded the bases for Todd Linden (pic-

tured). One swing later, the Giants were up 4-0.

2cainbn8.jpg

Matt Cain reaches on an error by Rodriguez in the fifth inning.

3winbj2.jpg

The Giants would capitalize on the error when the next hitter, Randy Winn, hit a three-run home run

to give the Giants a 7-0 lead.

4schob9.jpg

Nate Schierholtz made his major league debut when he pinch hit for Randy Winn in the bottom of the

seventh inning. He drew a walk. Later, in the eighth inning, Schierholtz would strike out in his first of-

ficial at bat.

5cainmn8.jpg

Matt Cain picked up his fourth win tonight, allowing just one run on seven hits while striking out four

in seven innings.

6garnhn8.jpg

Astros manager Phil Garner watches on as his squad drops yet another one-sided contest to the Giants.

Scoring

B8: Linden GS

B8: Winn three run HR

T7: Ensberg solo HR

B8: Linden double scores Schierholtz, Vizquel; Molina sacrifice fly scores Linden

W – Cain (4-3) L – Rodriguez (0-4)

Game Notes:

The Giants have outscored Houston 92-30 since the beginning of the 2006 season...San Francisco has

won six of their last 10 matchups by nine or more runs.

Player of the Game:

Todd Linden 2-4, 2B, GS, 6 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

May 21, 2007

League Injuries:

OAK SP Elizardo Ramirez is day-to-day with an MCL sprain.

League Transactions:

STL signs C Benito Santiago to a one-year deal worth $1.9 million.

SD signs C Tom Wilson to a two-year deal worth $400K per.

BOS signs SP Russ Ortiz to a two-year deal worth $2 million per.

BAL signs 1B Ryan Klesko to a four-year deal worth $1.2 million per.

DET signs 3B Tony Batista to a three-year deal worth $1.1 million per.

CLE signs SS Jose Vizcaino to a minor-league deal.

Rumor Mill:

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Florida Marlins are listening to offers regarding starting pitcher Dontrelle Willis. The Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, and Cubs are being mentioned as potential trade partners.

Reminder: The minor leagues will not work - and only the Giants player pages are active.

For Current League Information, click here.

Man, 9 hits each and you win 10-1. Amazing!

I've really had some great luck during this seven game win streak. The balls that were getting caught in April are starting to fall now...thank God too because it was starting to **** me off :D

Nine of those 10 runs against Houston last game came on three swings: grand slam by Linden, three-run home run by Winn, and a two-run double by Linden.

Now if the Bums would quit winning (29-16), I could actually make up some ground. Won seven straight and I'm still 4.5 back.

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

May 22, 2007

Sweeney's Walk-Off Gives Giants Eighth Straight Win

522endsa5.jpg

1osjv3.jpg2lowqk2.jpg

Roy Oswalt (left) and Noah Lowry (right) were both stellar tonight, going seven innings a piece with

Oswalt striking out seven and Lowry two. Oswalt left the game with a 2-1 lead.

3winno9.jpg

Randy Winn scores on a wild pitch by Roy Oswalt in the fourth inning. It was the only run Oswalt

would allow.

4auszh3.jpg

Brad Ausmus singles home Adam Everett in the fifth inning. Ausmus would later score on a single by

Mark Loretta to give the Astros a 2-1 lead.

5schwy6.jpg

Forever linked: Fernando Nieve delivered the pitch that Nate Schierholtz would line up the middle for

his first Major League hit in the eighth inning.

6winmk8.jpg

An error by Astros first baseman Mike Lamb allowed Randy Winn to reach safely in the eighth inning,

giving the Giants an extra out in the frame. A Todd Linden sacrifice fly two batters later would allow

the Giants to capitalize on the mistake, tying the game 2-2.

7sweal9.jpg8assk6.jpg

(Left) Mark Sweeney (9) and Randy Winn celebrate Sweeney's walk-off home run, giving the Giants

their eighth straight victory. (Right) The Astros have now lost six of their last eight; five of which have

come at the hands of San Francisco.

Scoring

B4: Winn scores on a wild pitch by Oswalt

T5: Ausmus single scores Everett; Loretta single scores Ausmus

B8: Linden sacrifice fly scores Schierholtz

B9: Sweeney solo HR

W – Wilson (1-1) L – Nieve (1-3) BS - Nieve (1)

Player of the Game:

Mark Sweeney 1-4, GW HR, RBI

For Boxscore, click here

May 22, 2007

League Injuries:

KC RF Mark Teahen is day-to-day with a strained ribcage.

League Transactions:

STL signs SS Mike Santiago to a minor league contract.

CHC sign SS Gil Koplove to a minor league contract.

Reminder: The minor leagues will not work - and only the Giants player pages are active.

For Current League Information, click here.

Archived