What I Should Have Done...

sfgiantsflgators

Two months into the season, what do you see as the Giants biggest need?  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• There is no pressing need
    • Another power bat
    • Veteran reliever
    • Everyday third baseman

giantsdynastybannercd0.png

May 18, 2007

Giants Hold A's to Three Hits, Win Fourth Straight 6-0

518endyh7.jpg

1winls7.jpg

Randy Winn heads home on a sacrifice fly by Pedro Feliz for a 1-0 Giants lead in the top of the first

inning.

2vizft2.jpg

Omar Vizquel grounded out with the bases loaded to end the top of the second inning; but got a

chance to redeem himself in the fourth. He delivered, hitting a bases-loaded single to center, scoring

Bengie Molina and Fred Lewis to put the Giants up 3-0.

3felpi8.jpg

Pedro Feliz throws Mark Ellis out at first from his knees, robbing Ellis of a hit to begin the third inning.

4harue8.jpg

Rich Harden gets his arm up in time to protect his face from a Fred Lewis line drive in the fourth inning.

Harden would stay in the game, but left in the seventh after throwing a pitch to Todd Linden.

5morwv4.jpg

Matt Morris was stellar today, allowing just two hits in six shutout innings. He struck out four and

walked two in the contest.

6gerxp9.jpg

A's manager Bob Geren had a frustrating night as Oakland was held to just three hits in the 6-0 loss

to San Francisco. Geren took some of that frustration out on second base umpire Paul Nauert after a

Kevin Frandsen stolen base in the top of the sixth inning.

Scoring

T1: Feliz sacrifice fly scores Winn

T4: Vizquel single scores Molina, Lewis; Linden single scores Winn

T7: Feliz double scores Linden; EME single scores Feliz

W – Morris (2-4) L – Harden (3-4) S - Munter (1)

Player of the Game:

Pedro Feliz 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, SF

Matt Morris 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 4 K, 2BB

For Boxscore, click here

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 18, 2007

League Injuries:

OAK SP Rich Harden was placed on the 15-day DL with a hernia. He is expected to miss at least a month.

DET 2B Omar Infante was placed on the 15-day DL with a strained left forearm.

Reminder: The minor leagues will not work - and only the Giants player pages are active.

For Current League Information, click here.

May 19, 2007

Sweet 16: Giants Take Fifth Straight with Extra-Inning Victory

Over A's

519endbb2.jpg

1lewwi2.jpg

Fred Lewis had a good night, going 2-5 with two doubles and a stolen base. Lewis also scored the ty-

ing run in the sixth inning on a single by Kevin Frandsen.

2cronq3.jpg3sweuf6.jpg

(Left) Bobby Crosby scores on a single by Mark Kotsay in the third inning. (Right) Mark Sweeney an-

swered for the Giants in the top of the fourth, scoring Omar Vizquel with a single to center.

4swits7.jpg5crorh8.jpg

(Left) Nick Swisher rounds the bases after setting off the fireworks with a two-run home run in the

fourth inning. (Right) Mark Kotsay singled home Erubiel Durazo with two outs in the fourth inning. Bob-

by Crosby (pictured) tried to score on Kotsay's single as well, but was gunned down by Todd Linden

to end the inning.

6fratq9.jpg

Kevin Frandsen singled home Bengie Molina and Fred Lewis in the sixth inning, tying the game 4-4.

7linal1.jpg8henpt1.jpg

Tim Lincecum (left) and Brad Hennessey (right) combined for seven shutout innings in relief, allowing

just one hit a piece as the Giants and A's battled for 16 innings.

9ducau3.jpg

Justin Duchscherer was stellar as well, going 5.1 shutout innings in relief for Oakland, allowing just

two hits in that span.

10felsn5.jpg

Pedro Feliz finally broke the 4-4 tie in the top of the sixteenth, hitting a solo home run off Billy Traber

to give the Giants a 5-4 lead.

11giasf8.jpg12asca4.jpg

(Left) The Giants celebrate their fifth straight victory. (Right) Milton Bradley and Co. react to their 16-

inning loss to San Francisco.

Scoring

B3: Kotsay single scores Crosby

T4: Sweeney single scores Vizquel

B4: Swisher two run HR; Kotsay single scores Durazo

T5: Linden single scores Winn

T6: Frandsen single scores Molina, Lewis

T16: Feliz solo HR

W – Hennessey (2-1) L – Traber (0-1)

Player of the Game:

Tim Lincecum 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 K, 1 BB

Brad Hennessey 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 K

For Boxscore, click here

May 20, 2007

Begg Hits the DL

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - The San Francisco Giants announced today that pitching prospect Chris Begg was placed on the 15-day DL with an MCL sprain. An MRI taken this morning was negative and the Giants expect Begg to be 100% when the 15 days are up.

Begg was 3-0 with a 2.95 ERA in Class AAA Fresno. It is assumed that Begg was next in line for a call up if an injury were to occur.

May 20, 2007

Begg Hits the DL

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - The San Francisco Giants announced today that pitching prospect Chris Begg was placed on the 15-day DL with an MCL sprain. An MRI taken this morning was negative and the Giants expect Begg to be 100% when the 15 days are up.

Begg was 3-0 with a 2.95 ERA in Class AAA Fresno. It is assumed that Begg was next in line for a call up if an injury were to occur.

No not Begg! He's been awesome so far! Ah well it's only 15 days but still :(

Who'll get recalled to AAA to take his place?

May 20, 2007

Zito Returns to Oakland

OAKLAND, Calif. - Barry Zito will take the mound yet again at McAfee Coliseum today; but this time, he won't be wearing an A's jersey.

After seven seasons with Oakland, Barry Zito signed a seven-year, $126 million contract across the Bay with the San Francisco Giants. Zito went 102-63 with the Athletics and has posted a 51-30 record with a 3.66 ERA at McAfee Coliseum.

"I'm excited," said Zito on KNBR this morning. "The fans in Oakland were wonderful to me over the seven years I was there and I can't wait to make another appearance there. The thing I'm looking foward to the most though is seeing the guys I played with over the years; it'll be fun to compete against them and see what happens."

The Giants enter today's game looking for their second straight sweep and their sixth straight victory. Oakland has lost five of their last six.

First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. PT.

No not Begg! He's been awesome so far! Ah well it's only 15 days but still :(

Who'll get recalled to AAA to take his place?

Haven't decided yet.

To tell the truth, there's not really anyone who's doing well enough to deserve it. I think I'm going to leave everyone as they are right now as there should be enough pitchers in Fresno to keep anyone from getting overworked.

Haven't decided yet.

To tell the truth, there's not really anyone who's doing well enough to deserve it. I think I'm going to leave everyone as they are right now as there should be enough pitchers in Fresno to keep anyone from getting overworked.

How about recalling a bat to AAA and see how it works out against tougher competition?

How about recalling a bat to AAA and see how it works out against tougher competition?

That's more likely to happen. I'm going to look over the system and see if anyone is making a push.

Hey man, I have a question for you. If the Giants are out of the race by the trade deadline, will you consider trading any of the veterans, particularly Bonds?

Hopefully I'm not forced to make that decision :D

Seriously though, I don't know. This is only going to be a one-year dynasty so I'll more than likely keep everyone and continue trying to make a run if I'm trailing.

If I were to make this a multi-year dynasty, then yeah - there would be a fire sale...as I'm hoping that - if they are behind in July - the real-life Giants will do.

Nice job with the presentation to you and all the people who have "spruced up " their dynasty's lately .

Thanks...glad you like it. :D

I am completely happy with my post-game and don't foresee any changes in that area; but I thought that it would probably be good to make the pregame write-up a little less plain. Nothing too crazy, but something to present the stats a little better.

Thanks again for the compliment and for checking in! :stickman:

May 20, 2007

Zito Outduels Blanton in Return to Oakland

520enddy0.jpg

1framc4.jpg2keijc4.jpg

(Left) Kevin Frandsen can't come up with the ball in the fourth inning, allowing Dan Johnson to reach

on an infield single. (Right) After Barry Zito got Eric Chavez to ground into a double play, he got a great

play from Omar Vizquel to get Bobby Kielty for the last out of the inning.

4winxl9.jpg5linti7.jpg

(Left) Randy Winn reaches on a throwing error by Oakland second baseman Mark Ellis in the top of the

sixth. (Right) The Giants couldn't capitalize though as Todd Linden grounded into a double play to end

the inning.

6emefs8.jpg

Eddy Martinez-Esteve robs Mark Kotsay of a hit in the bottom of the sixth.

7aurlo2.jpg8lewkp2.jpg

(Left) With Eliezer Alfonzo at the plate with runners at first and second in the top of the seventh, the

Giants tried to pull off a hit and run; but Alfonzo failed to connect. Rich Aurilia (pictured) and EME were

able to complete the double steal safely though thanks to a poor throw to third by Mike Piazza.

(Left) Fred Lewis made the A's pay, plating both runners with a single up the middle.

9chatu5.jpg10chaxj3.jpg

(Left) Eric Chavez reached safely in the bottom of the seventh after lining a pitch off Barry Zito.

(Right) Zito got his revenge though when he caught Chavez napping at first.

11zitopt2.jpg

Barry Zito was stellar in his return to Oakland, allowing just one run on seven hits in 7.2 innings. The

lone run came on a solo home run by Mark Ellis in the eighth inning.

12fraod6.jpg

Kevin Frandsen touches second to end the ballgame, securing the victory for Zito and the save for Tim

Lincecum. The win was the Giants sixth straight.

Scoring

T7: Lewis single scores Aurilia, EME

B8: Ellis solo HR

W – Zito (5-2) L – Blanton (1-5) S - Lincecum (8)

Player of the Game:

Barry Zito 7.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 3 K

For Boxscore, click here

May 20, 2007

League Suspensions:

BAL SP Adam Loewen has been suspended for six games. The suspension is a result of his alledged intentional beaning of Alex Rios in his last start - May 15 at Toronto. Baltimore manager Sam Perlozzo was suspended for one game. Neither will appeal the decision.

Reminder: The minor leagues will not work - and only the Giants player pages are active.

For Current League Information, click here.

Archived