All-Decade Teams

Darkslide820

I was wondering if anyone here ever saw or made All-Decade Teams for MVP. If you've seen anything like this, where? If you're like me and you're into history, who would you put at the different positions for the different squads?

Here are the designations:

1800s (1871-1899)

1900s

1910s

1920s

1930s

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

1980s

1990s

2000s (2000-2006)

The first position I tried to think of was for catchers. Here's who I have so far:

1800s Buck Ewing, ???

1900s Roger Bresnahan, ???

1910s Ray Schalk, ???

1920s Mickey Cochrane, Gabby Hartnett

1930s Gabby Hartnett, Mickey Cochrane

1940s ???

1950s Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella

1960s ???

1970s Johnny Bench, Carlton Fisk (27)

1980s Carlton Fisk (72), Gary Carter

1990s Ivan Rodriguez, Mike Piazza

2000s ??? (I-Rod again?)

What do you guys think? Feel free to fill in the blanks for any position for any squad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1980's C Gary Carter 1b Don Mattingly 2b Willie Randolph 3b Wade Boggs SS Cal Ripken Jr LF Ricky Henderson CF robin Yount RF Dave winfield

Starters

Nolan Ryan

Brett Saberhagen

Jimmy Key

Roger Clemens

Greg Madux

Closer Eck

1980's

C Gary Carter

1b Don Mattingly

2b Ryan Sandberg

3b Wade Boggs

SS Ozzie Smith

LF Ricky Henderson

CF Willie McGee

RF Dave Winfield

Bench

OF Tony Gwynn

OF Dale Murphy

OF Robin Yount

OF Tim Raines

OF Andre Dawson

MI Cal Ripken, Jr.

1B Eddie Murray

1B Keith Hernandez

Starters

Nolan Ryan

Brett Saberhagen

Jimmy Key

Roger Clemens

Orel Hershiser

Bullpen

Doc Gooden

Rick Sutcliffe

Todd Worrell

Lee Smith

Bruce Sutter

Closer

Dennis Eckersley

I know that is 27, you pick the 2 to drop.

1960's

C Johnny Bench

1B Orlando Cepeda

2B Bill Mazrowski

SS Maury Wills

3B Brooks Robinson

OF Lou Brock

OF Willie Mays

OF Roberto Clemente

Bench

OF Micky Mantle

OF Curt Flood

OF Henry Aaron

OF Al Kaline

OF Yaz

3B Ron Santo

UTIL Pete Rose

Rotation

Bob Gibson

Sandy Koufax

Don Drysdale

Whitey Ford

Juan Marachial

Bullpen

Sam McDowell

Hoyt Wilhelm

Luis Tiant

Need 2 more pitchers for the pen, if someone wants to fill it out.

maybe i will take out schilling or clemens,randy still pitched 372 strike outs in a season

Definitely leave Schilling in. I read on ESPN that he has the most consecutive games pitched in which he has thrown at least 5 innings (147 in row). This is the longest streak in the last 50 years. And besides he is a big game pitcher.

In regards to the 5th starter, how about Johan Santana? To me he has been the most dominant in the big leagues in 2000s.

Anyone can throw the 147 consecutive games going 5+ innings, it dosn't mean anything. He could be 12-130 record in that time, does that mean he was any good?

I agree on Santana, but Zito is also good too. Is it Zito that never missed a start due to injury?

medric 822 wrote

johnson was better in 1990s

but if he will be an hall of famer it will be for his K's that he made in

2000-06 and look at clemens and schilling 2000-06 numbers:

Clemens

w 88

l 44

1288 K

schilling

w 103

l 49

1444 k

johnson

w 120

l 59

1851 k

he was a lot better then schilling and clemens

only his ERA was higher then schilling and clemens ERA

so i can say that he's in the rotation

Anyone can throw the 147 consecutive games going 5+ innings, it dosn't mean anything. He could be 12-130 record in that time, does that mean he was any good?

But you know that he did not go 12-130 during that span. In fact he had 3 seasons in which he won more than 20 games - Clemens didn't accomplish this, Zito didn't accomplish this, Randy didn't accomplish this, and definitely Halladay didn't accomplish this. His win-loss record in the 2000s - 97-43, a .692 winning percentage. Barry Zito - 102-63 with a .618 winning percentage.

And besides can you list those who have thrown 147 consecutive games going 5+ innings because to my knowledge he is the first one to do it in over 50 years. An active pitcher close to that streak is Johan Santana with 91.

EDIT: I am sorry, forgot to add in Schilling's 2000 season. So his record actually is 103-49, a .677 winning percentage - which is still pretty darn good.

I agree on Santana, but Zito is also good too. Is it Zito that never missed a start due to injury?

I believe it was Tom Glavine who had not visited the DL in his whole career until recently (I think only after joining the Mets did he make the trip to the disabled list). Now thats an awesome thing to do in baseball - especially for a pitcher.

And besides can you list those who have thrown 147 consecutive games going 5+ innings because to my knowledge he is the first one to do it in over 50 years.

It's such an odd and off the wall fact that if you dig through, you'd probably find a few wo ave do that, or came close.

Archived