New City, Career Renewed - Oakland A's Year 3

rookie_rick

American League - Surprises & Disappointments

AL East

Biggest Surprise

Toronto Blue Jays - Started strong but unlike other seasons have managed to win on a consistent basis throughout the season. Potential Wild Card.

Biggest Disappointment

Boston Red Sox - Last season's World Series losers. This season fighting the O's for last in the AL East. Struggled to touch .500 all season.

AL Central

Biggest Surprise

Kansas City Royals - Have managed to maintain a .500 record which is good for 3rd in the relatively strong AL Central.

Biggest Disappointment

Detroit Tigers - Under .500 and have never looked to be a threat in the Wild Card or the division. Time to take a hard look at the roster.

AL West

Biggest Surprise

Oakland A's - Lead the division despite having a mediocre at best record, play off bound? time will tell.

Biggest Disappointment

LA Angels - Carried a strong team into the beginning of the season but haven't managed to put a string of victories together and seize control of the division.

National League - Surprises & Disappointments

NL East

Biggest Surprise

Washington Nationals - 4 games out of the Wild Card, third in the division with no other than the Mets and Braves looking up at them. Yes, the World Champion Braves.

Biggest Disappointment

Atlanta Braves - Last season won over 100 games and took the Championship from Boston in 5 games. Lost Chipper and other players this season and it never looked good from the first day of Spring Training.

NL Central

Biggest Surprise

Milwaukee Brewers - Have a strong team but no one expected them to have such a commanding lead in the Central over the Cubs.

Biggest Disappointment

St Louis Cardinals - Even with Albert Pujols, the Cardinals just can't win. How long will the best player in baseball be here.

NL West

Biggest Surprise

Arizona D'Backs - This team on paper looks nearly as bad as the Padres and Nationals but they seem to win on a regular basis. Playoff bound?

Biggest Disappointment

LA Dodgers - The best team in the weak NL West has a below par record and have no shot at the play offs. 10 1/2 games back of a hot Rockies team. Rebuilding time?

Good luck against the A's, rick.  It's crunch time.   :D

*Edit - I posted that right before I saw the results.  Tough luck, man.  Hard to believe you're having such a miserable season.  Only a miracle gets you in now.

My aim is damage limitation because at the end of the season, i can't afford a massive drop in budget otherwise i am going to struggle to keep my quality players or have a run at any worthwhile free agents.

Biggest Disappointment

LA Angels - Carried a strong team into the beginning of the season but haven't managed to put a string of victories together and seize control of the division.

The Angels just get no love on this game.

Neither do the Cardinals.

IMO, this could be viewed as an indicator of just how well these teams are managed/prepared in MLB. Particularly the Cardinals, Dave Duncan gets more out of "average pitchers" than anyone, and the Cards success often is the result of the play of their role players.

I had a discussion the other day about how a lot of managers can manage a 1st place team to a 1st place finish ... but LaRussa/Duncan seem to do it quite often with what should be a 2nd or 3rd place team ... as compared to how Pinella is managing a 1st place team into 2nd, and maybe even 3rd place.

Torre and Girardi, have I view as "easy jobs". Fill out the lineup card and then sit down and watch.

Poor Jerry Manuel has what started as a 1st place team and is now a 4A team due to all of the injuries. That HAS to be very frustrating.

Are you like me and hit better with lefties?

I ask because I am doing awesome with Stephen Drew and Josh Whitesell, but cannot do anything with Justin Upton and Conor Jackson.

Give me Adam Dunn and he'll win the MVP every year. *grin*

I tend to hit for a better AVG with lefties against RHPs but i tear apart LHPs with my right handed hitters. I can hit homers all day against even the best LHPer.

Prior to the game Vs the A's.

The Red Sox have reached and agreement to extend 2B Dustin Pedroia's contract.

Pedroia has signed a 7 year extension for an undisclosed amount.

The Red Sox also signed free agent RP Javier Lopez for the rest of the season. Lopez will spend time in AAA before being apart of the 40 man roster in September.