Getting Closer

JoeRudi26

The fact that Harden got pounded through 4 1/3 innings and Marmol didn't give up a single hit the rest of the way is probably a good sign as far as the game is concerned. I was having trouble locating pitches with him, so I'm assuming it was the game's way of chalking it up to a bad start. Marmol had much better control and didn't miss so badly on the pitches, keeping Houston in check for almost 4 innings.

At first, I wasn't sure if it was me, or the fact that he just wasn't having a good day. Guess I know now. :)

Yeah, I've noticed it as well. I like it, and should make the entire season fun/interesting for me. I told you about the one game in my test chise Big Z got hammered in the 1st inning against St. Louis. Had to take him out in the 3rd. His next start though, he went 7 IP, 8K, BB, 2 ER.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a great decent complete game with these sliders and patch. I didn't have any bonehead defensive plays. My starter was very shaky at first and gave up two early runs but gained his composure back and didn't give up a run the rest of the way. He got better as the game progressed. The opposing pitcher was dominant through out the game until the bottom of the ninth. I was patient throughout the whole game and worked his pitch count up and it seemed to pay off. He was wild in the ninth and walked a couple. I eventually had the bases loaded with one out. The defense was guarding the lines and I hit a line drive right at the third baseman and he fell right on top of the bag for a game ending double play.

I had a great decent complete game with these sliders and patch. I didn't have any bonehead defensive plays. My starter was very shaky at first and gave up two early runs but gained his composure back and didn't give up a run the rest of the way. He got better as the game progressed. The opposing pitcher was dominant through out the game until the bottom of the ninth. I was patient throughout the whole game and worked his pitch count up and it seemed to pay off. He was wild in the ninth and walked a couple. I eventually had the bases loaded with one out. The defense was guarding the lines and I hit a line drive right at the third baseman and he fell right on top of the bag for a game ending double play.

What was the final score? Were the numbers somewhat realistic?

Yeah, I've noticed it as well. I like it, and should make the entire season fun/interesting for me. I told you about the one game in my test chise Big Z got hammered in the 1st inning against St. Louis. Had to take him out in the 3rd. His next start though, he went 7 IP, 8K, BB, 2 ER.

That's good news, it would be a long season without Harden being productive. Man, Marmol looked great. :huh:

What was the final score? Were the numbers somewhat realistic?

O yeah totally, I lost 2-0, Peavy vs Billingsley. Other than those early two runs, both pitchers were almost lights out. And of course Doyers choking at the end is always realistic these days. I think I'll use these for my dynasty unless you are planning on updating anything.

O yeah totally, I lost 2-0, Peavy vs Billingsley. Other than those early two runs, both pitchers were almost lights out. And of course Doyers choking at the end is always realistic these days. I think I'll use these for my dynasty unless you are planning on updating anything.

Sounds like a great game. Good thing is, tomorrow's game will probably be totally different. So far so good here too, I'm not touching a thing as of now. I'll see how things pan out after 10-20 games or so, and if I decide to change anything I'll keep it in this thread.

Thanks for the input, and keep posting as you go, it's interesting to see all the results.

hey couple of things JR...your screen shots looks great what GPU you rolling with and what settings do you have for MSAA. Also have you tried at all the realstic pitching mod that removes the ball location cursor? Anyway I just downloaded your sliders off of pg.2 (assuming those are most current) and am gonna give them a whirl in my franchise I am starting I will try to post some results.

hey couple of things JR...your screen shots looks great what GPU you rolling with and what settings do you have for MSAA. Also have you tried at all the realstic pitching mod that removes the ball location cursor? Anyway I just downloaded your sliders off of pg.2 (assuming those are most current) and am gonna give them a whirl in my franchise I am starting I will try to post some results.

Nvidia 9800 GTX+ with MSAA 8x and MSAA Quality 2.

I've not tried the pitching cursor mod. To be honest, after the patch, these sliders are pretty challenging to pitch with, at least for me. As far as the sliders, the one's on page 2 are current. Looking forward to your results.

^^Thanks well I am running a 9800GT/1GB and see massive frame rate drops with 8X/2 hmmm... all my other settings are on high though? All my other PC specs are at or above the recommended specs. Well off to a game thansk for the feedback I will post a BOX!

I have everything on high except Shadow Quality. I take a (small) general frame rate hit when it's on high, but to be honest, I can't see much of a difference with it on anyway. I have Depth of Field off, but only because it's not done very well. The blurring in the background is pretty lame, and the images in front almost have a "pasted on the blur" look. My preference and opinion, of course.

As far as frame rates with these settings, I'm getting 60 all the way around. When someone gets on base, the frame rate drops to 30 in pitcher/batter interface only, which isn't very noticeable, and then goes back up immediately when the ball is put into play.

ok thanks for the tips....first agme with your sliders was a bit hit happy with the cpu hitting 4HR as well. But how in the world do you paste a picture into your post here...stupid question but I do niot know how...I want to post my box?

ok thanks for the tips....first agme with your sliders was a bit hit happy with the cpu hitting 4HR as well. But how in the world do you paste a picture into your post here...stupid question but I do niot know how...I want to post my box?

1. Take your pic in game with Fraps

2. Upload your pic at an image hosting site (tinypic.com)

3. Copy the pic from the site (in the IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards box)

4. On this board, hit add reply, and paste the pic into the message box

I finally won a game, finishing off the series at Houston with a squeaker. I was leading 1-0 for about half the game, and got (what happened to be the game winner) an insurance run in the top of the ninth, as you can see as they managed to get one across in the bottom half that would have tied the game. So far I haven't seen anything that resembles a CPU comeback code. It's challenging to get on base, and it's challenging to keep the opponent off base.

So far so good, I'm facing a winless (0-3) Milwaukee team next, so hopefully I'll notch a couple of wins.

Well dont have those I know the pitch counts were 69 cpu (nationls) 95 me (indians). I know my patience at the plate was terrible but I still banged out 15 hits which was a bit negative actually,.. the cpu pounded me with 4 HR as well....but I think I may have threw too many Strikes and did not setup well.n Any way I like the pitching thus far but the batting may be a bit easy for me except for the ability to hit a homer just cant do it with stick influence at 0???? what should I change?

Well dont have those I know the pitch counts were 69 cpu (nationls) 95 me (indians). I know my patience at the plate was terrible but I still banged out 15 hits which was a bit negative actually,.. the cpu pounded me with 4 HR as well....but I think I may have threw too many Strikes and did not setup well.n Any way I like the pitching thus far but the batting may be a bit easy for me except for the ability to hit a homer just cant do it with stick influence at 0???? what should I change?

The reason I asked about the other stats board was because I wanted to see your "style" of playing. 4 runs and 15 hits with under 70 pitches definitely sounds like you swing often and early. I was curious about walk totals as well. I'm guessing they were low on both ends, accounting for Washington's 10 runs on 16 hits, which means you are probably throwing a lot of stuff across the plate, not necessarily trying to strike out every hitter.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not judging your style of play by any means, I just find it interesting to see the same set of sliders produce much different results when you throw in the factor of "playing style". Some people enjoy high offensive numbers, some don't, so the reason I wanted feedback was to see all of the variety of input and what people are tweaking to get the game to their satisfaction.

On the other hand, I approach the game just the opposite, and the numbers come out completely different. I intend to strike out every hitter I face when pitching, and I try to work the count every single time I step up to the plate. Not saying my style is better than anyone, that's just the way I play, and the results are quite different in the end.

But to answer your question, I'm not sure if the stick influence has an effect on homeruns or not, but it would be interesting to find out. If you raise it and are successful, please post it in this thread.

Thanks!

I got to thinking about what you were saying about lack of homeruns, and so far through 4 games of my season I haven't hit one either. I have hit them with these sliders, but only a handful over about 30 games, all of which were pitches a little high and middle in. But now that you've mentioned it, before messing with the sliders in the first place I know holding up on the stick (hit influence @ 75) was producing quite a bit of homeruns, but that was before I touched any sliders at all.

I'm going to raise the Hit Influence to 50 in these sliders, and see what happens from there.

Ya I made the following modifications to your sliders and I am going to start game 2 and post results:

User contact 30 to 25 (banged out a few to many hits in general for showing no patience)

CPU power 50 to 45 (they hit 4 in one game cause of missed pitches/meatballs probably due to the increased pitching challenge and too many strikes so I will change this slightly for now)

Hit dir Influence 0 to 50 ( cannot hit a homer with a power hitter on a fat pitch ever)

BTW your style of play is better and I was a bit rushed in my game I am normally much more patient and have gotten the CPU to 150 pitches in this game...we will see what happens.

Ya I made the following modifications to your sliders and I am going to start game 2 and post results:

User contact 30 to 25 (banged out a few to many hits in general for showing no patience)

CPU power 50 to 45 (they hit 4 in one game cause of missed pitches/meatballs probably due to the increased pitching challenge and too many strikes so I will change this slightly for now)

Hit dir Influence 0 to 50 ( cannot hit a homer with a power hitter on a fat pitch ever)

BTW your style of play is better and I was a bit rushed in my game I am normally much more patient and have gotten the CPU to 150 pitches in this game...we will see what happens.

Thanks, man. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I haven't change one thing since the patch came out. As a matter of fact, the pitching is probably a bit more challenging and realistic. I'm sticking with them for now, and will tweak them as the season progresses.

I just finished my first game of the season, and it was a good one. I'll post it in a few.

Sorry...I have two questions that may be simple, but I am confused about two points in this post

#1 - I didn't realize the sliders mentioned in this thread were for a non-PC version of the game. As anyone been playing with these sliders on a PC version?

#2 - JR, when you mentioned you haven't changed one thing since the patch came out, do you mean you haven't changed your sliders since their pre-patch incarnation - or you mean you left all the sliders at 2k sports post-patch default values?

After reading the whole thread, I must say JR and the rest of you who have been working on this - thank you so much for your work. There is so much trash out there about this game - even on our sites. It is so great to see there are other optimists like myself who see this game as a step up from what we've had. Keep up the great work.

Sorry...I have two questions that may be simple, but I am confused about two points in this post

#1 - I didn't realize the sliders mentioned in this thread were for a non-PC version of the game. As anyone been playing with these sliders on a PC version?

#2 - JR, when you mentioned you haven't changed one thing since the patch came out, do you mean you haven't changed your sliders since their pre-patch incarnation - or you mean you left all the sliders at 2k sports post-patch default values?

After reading the whole thread, I must say JR and the rest of you who have been working on this - thank you so much for your work. There is so much trash out there about this game - even on our sites. It is so great to see there are other optimists like myself who see this game as a step up from what we've had. Keep up the great work.

First of all, let me say that I am not the 100% originator of these sliders, by no means do I take all the credit, as I mentioned very early on in this thread. The pitching sliders are from an OS member named Guru, and a bulk of the other sliders came from a member named SerialMike over at ThePerfectGame.net. I just found these sliders as a sound base to start from, and have branched out from there.

But anyway, to answer your questions:

1. These are for the PC version only

2. There was mention that the sliders that we have come up with in this thread may have to be adjusted post patch. What I meant was, even after the patch, the game still seems to be playing pretty decent. The one's on page 2 haven't been tweaked since the patch came out.

As of now, the homerun totals seem to be a little down for Human User, so I'm/we're testing out Hitting Influence by bumping it from 0-50 to see if homeruns do in fact rise.

I realize the trash that is or was out there, and I haven't really commented too much on it either way. I knew there were bugs, but I also gave them time to redeem themselves with a patch before I totally gave up on the game. I do admit, some of the issues were game killers for us hardcore fanatics, but you'd be hard pressed to find a PC game that didn't need patched. Especially with a company that decided to debut baseball on the PC when no one else is even trying.

But anyway, I'm starting to get excellent results, the game/graphics are nice and fresh, and now that the patch has fixed the big issues I see no reason to keep trying to make this game play as solid as possible.

Here's Game 4 @ Milwaukee. Again, good solid numbers all the way around. The errors were on a line drive that Ramirez jumped to get but couldn't glove, and a shot up the middle that Mike Fontenot couldn't quite get to. Probably should have been a base hit, but obviously the game didn't score it that way.

This game was played with Hitting Influence still set to 0. Will continue to post results after tweaking this slider to see if it ups the homerun totals.

Archived