Getting Closer

JoeRudi26

Speaking of blowouts, I got my first one tonight (I lost). I jumped out of the gate and scored 2 runs in the top of the first, and then Milwaukee closed the door on my offense, tacked on 4 runs through the 6th, then opened up for 6 more to take the game 10-2. This is the worst I've been beaten yet, I've pretty much been able to hold my own. This just proves anything can happen at any given time, which is overall a good sign.

I've been working on a couple of templates for my dynasty (not sure if I'll present one yet), but thought I'd post a couple of ideas here while I'm posting stats anyway. These are actually pretty bare, I like to go further in depth presenting the stats, just not sure if I'll have time this summer.

t9uou8.jpg

oh4l7t.jpg

Love the artwork on that, Rudi. :)

Were those graphics done with a 3rd person program or were they produced in-game? I have no experience yet with 2K9's franchise mode, so please forgive any ignorance on my behalf.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the artwork on that, Rudi. :)

Were those graphics done with a 3rd person program or were they produced in-game? I have no experience yet with 2K9's franchise mode, so please forgive any ignorance on my behalf.

Thanks, I did it in Photoshop. Kind of a hobby of mine. :)

Only thing I see wrong with the graphics is the score.

At least IRL the Cubs are beating the 'Stros 10 to 5 in the 5th....Now if only they can hold on. :)

Just to keep this thread on target....Played another game this P.M. and stole two basis....One by Theroit and one by Soriano. The main problem I have when trying to steal a base is me!....There have been many times I push up on the right stick when I mean to push one of the buttons (for sliding). Of course pushing up on the RS (for the 360) tells the runner to advance another base and therefore he gets tagged out instead of sliding.

Sometimes I know what button or stick to use but my mind won't let me. :lol:

Only thing I see wrong with the graphics is the score.

At least IRL the Cubs are beating the 'Stros 10 to 5 in the 5th....Now if only they can hold on. :)

Just to keep this thread on target....Played another game this P.M. and stole two basis....One by Theroit and one by Soriano. The main problem I have when trying to steal a base is me!....There have been many times I push up on the right stick when I mean to push one of the buttons (for sliding). Of course pushing up on the RS (for the 360) tells the runner to advance another base and therefore he gets tagged out instead of sliding.

Sometimes I know what button or stick to use but my mind won't let me. :lol:

I hear you, getting used to the sticks have been the hardest thing for me to learn. I'm still trying to get used to baserunning.

Small possible error in your boxscore graphic JR. Where it shows the inning number, 1-9, they are all scooted a little to the left and merge with the hit box to the left of it.

Yeah, I see that now that you pointed it out. Like I said, I'm not even sure I'll be using them. Just knocking off some rust in Photoshop. On the other hand, I've just tied my game against Milwaukee 2-2 (7th inning) off a monster shot by Ramirez.

The Hitting Influence slider was the culprit.

No doubt about that one. Nice shot Jay. :)

Stick: Up & Left?

Yep, up and left. Been trying all night if the situation was right, finally connected. BTW, Soriano unties it in the 8th on one that barely clears the fence. It was close, lol, you can actually see Soriano start running AFTER he breaks out in his jog.

Now if I can just hold on. I'm tired of losing. :huh:

Alright I'm fairly convinced a global edit to the walk rating will help things out in that aspect. Any roster makers reading this thread will really want to seriously consider adding about 20-25 points to each players draw walk attribute.

Question about the base runner speed... I've noticed in my games that the players run the bases just fine. however stealing is the issue imo. So the next thing I am trying is a -10 to -20 drop in catchers arms and see what it does now. Rather than boosting the base runner speed. Are there any other sliders that you have found that would address anything stealing related?

Alright I'm fairly convinced a global edit to the walk rating will help things out in that aspect. Any roster makers reading this thread will really want to seriously consider adding about 20-25 points to each players draw walk attribute.

Question about the base runner speed... I've noticed in my games that the players run the bases just fine. however stealing is the issue imo. So the next thing I am trying is a -10 to -20 drop in catchers arms and see what it does now. Rather than boosting the base runner speed. Are there any other sliders that you have found that would address anything stealing related?

Other than the Baserunner speed and Catcher Throw out success, I don't see anything directly tied to stealing bases. Now that I've got the power issue straightened out, I'll be able to focus on this as well and see what I can find out.

Other than the Baserunner speed and Catcher Throw out success, I don't see anything directly tied to stealing bases. Now that I've got the power issue straightened out, I'll be able to focus on this as well and see what I can find out.

Another off the wall question... With the Left stick thing at 100 have you gotten a ground ball while swinging up or a fly ball swinging down? I think I have had 1 grounder on an up swing. If its an auto fly ball with the stick up then maybe we may want to drop it to 90 to give some room for error.

Jay, what's your Hitting Influence slider at?

It's been set at 100 for 3 games now, and these are the first 2 homeruns I've hit. Like I said though, this may work out due to my style of play. I've tested it just hacking up and left one after another, and did nothing but hit fly balls.

Both of these homeruns were on 3-0 counts, fastballs up and in.

It's at 100, but I'm still "watching" it as the season goes.

my god I'm getting old and missed the catcher throw out success slider. Alright I'm proposing we put it at zero and go from there. What do you think?

haha, sounds good man. Let's try it. (I've got to learn how to run the bases sooner or later)

Another off the wall question... With the Left stick thing at 100 have you gotten a ground ball while swinging up or a fly ball swinging down? I think I have had 1 grounder on an up swing. If its an auto fly ball with the stick up then maybe we may want to drop it to 90 to give some room for error.

I had a couple of grounders when testing the other day, but I was swinging at EVERYTHING just for the sake of testing. Sliders low and away, curveballs in the dirt (swinging up) were producing ground balls. But you may be right about dropping it down as we go, just to see what kind of results we get.

I just played a game in my franchise with the left stick influence at 65 and it wasn't bad. I didn't hit any homeruns but we had a couple of doubles and hard hit base hits, a couple of which were grounders that snuck through the hole between 1st and second. I'm gonna move it up to 75 for the next game I'm gonna play when I get back home.

Alright quick report I played as the Yankees vs the Rangers (only team with edited draw walk rating) lost 3-2 on a 9th inning homer when i failed to come close to executing a slider and it was destroyed. oops.

The good. I hit a homer with A-roid on a 2-0 count I think it was a down and in slider. and using Sabathia I walked 1 and K'd only 3 in a full 9 innings throwing about 95 pitches. I was having a hell of a time getting the Rangers to chase too much and when they did they usually fouled it off or hit something weak for an easy out.

The bad. I tried stealing 3 times with HUGE leads end result 1/3 and the only reason I stole that base is it seemed like the SS fell asleep and got to the bag late. (all stealers had 82+ speed) Now I'm not 100% sure on it but I thought all 3 plays were close but it was pretty clear that stealing is just not going to work without a real speedster. So the poor Texas Rangers Catchers are going to get an arm adjustment tomorrow. (I'm thinking I'll knock 20 off and see what happens)

Now I have made a couple of changes to the sliders on my end first off pitch speed is now down to 70 otherwise I have no chance to react to an off speed pitch. I also turned the pitch recognition down to 80 to give a little leeway there. I am thinking I will take the left stick influence down to 85 and see what happens (I have a feeling at 100 you wouldn't get any accidental homers without lifting the stick.)

I am a little concerned that a mass edit may be the only way to fix stealing though.

Is already there a full sliders setting pos patch? I mean, about hitting and pitching matter? Are u guys playing pro, all star or custom?

this is a custom set. I believe a few posts earlier JR has put the file up for d/l and it is still a work in progress with much more tinkering on the details to come I would imagine.

i tried upping the runner speed yesterday i found that speed at 70 catcher success at 25 i could bust out steals with the 90+ rating guys fairly well (fastball pitchouts you'll get nailed hard) 80's its a 50/50 chance of making it.

well thats some progress. I believe the MLB success rate is about 80%? LOL greatest quote ever from Earl Weaver...

"If you can't steal 90% of the time then it ain't worth a damn" (paraphrasing a bit)

My only fear of upping the baserunner speed is that they run the bases in all other aspects fairly well. Sometime today I'm going to kill the catchers arms on the Rangers (yes they are my new whipping boys) and see how much of a difference that makes.

i'll get back to you on that later this afternoon too hoop I've been tinkering with both using my edited yankees team since it has 4 or 5 solid base stealers and a couple borderline base stealers

I'm going to be testing baserunning/stealing later today as well. Thanks for all the work/input guys!

Archived