Getting Closer

JoeRudi26

I have to agree I like the pitching in this game, and I have now played a couple games with your sliders with a couple of tweaks (pitch speed down to 80 for one after I saw the first few 90mph fast balls whipping by me without even moving lol) I won one 3-1 and lost one 1-0, my only concern is I have not seen an extra base hit yet LOL. I'm sure it's a matter of time but it caught me as odd.

Anyways I really like the slider set so far and from what I have seen practicing using the left stick modifier seems to help get the ball out of the park in BP so thats probably on the right track.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree I like the pitching in this game, and I have now played a couple games with your sliders with a couple of tweaks (pitch speed down to 80 for one after I saw the first few 90mph fast balls whipping by me without even moving lol) I won one 3-1 and lost one 1-0, my only concern is I have not seen an extra base hit yet LOL. I'm sure it's a matter of time but it caught me as odd.

Anyways I really like the slider set so far and from what I have seen practicing using the left stick modifier seems to help get the ball out of the park in BP so thats probably on the right track.

Thanks for the input, Hoops, I've used many of your sets in the past, so any input/testing you do and any feedback you can bring is appreciated. As far as extra base hits, I'm actually seeing about 3, possibly 4 a game on average. For me, I'm liking how it's balancing out so far.

But as far as homeruns, I agree the left stick (Hit Influence) is the answer for long balls. I'll be testing it later tonight.

I think the most runs I've given up are 6 (vs Houston & Milwaukee), but I have to be very careful where I put the ball. If I notice a slider or a curveball is missing in a certain location, I have to try and adjust accordingly.

I don't care what anyone says about this game, but 2K9 is on to something with the pitching mechanics.

Agree 110% Jay. Can't stress how much I love the pitching/mechanics post-patch. It keeps you involved on the mound, and gives a feeling of accomplishment. This is just how I feel, as I know there are many who say "Well, I play the game for fun, and don't won't to have to work, to get a strike across." Just goes to show you, we all have a different definition of what "fun" is.

On a similar note, there's an article over at IGN on how to "improve" 2k9. One thing they say, "Do away with analog pitching, too much work. Just go back to the button pitching". Then again, this is IGN who review all their games on default levels w/NO slider adjustments. I hope that VC does not digress to that in 2k10.

*Left stick Influence for more power, is the key as well. Just don't want us to over-do it.

Agree 110% Jay. Can't stress how much I love the pitching/mechanics post-patch. It keeps you involved on the mound, and gives a feeling of accomplishment. This is just how I feel, as I know there are many who say "Well, I play the game for fun, and don't won't to have to work, to get a strike across." Just goes to show you, we all have a different definition of what "fun" is.

On a similar note, there's an article over at IGN on how to "improve" 2k9. One thing they say, "Do away with analog pitching, too much work. Just go back to the button pitching". Then again, this is IGN who review all their games on default levels w/NO slider adjustments. I hope that VC does not digress to that in 2k10.

It makes you wonder who's creating these games. I mean, I know I would feel a lot better if a true hardcore baseball gamer(s) was behind the foundation of creating a baseball game. Take Sony's "beach ball through the crowd" animations. The concept they're putting forth is "paying attention to detail". The little things. And I can appreciate that, but as a most people that spend their hard earned money on baseball games might tell you, when paying attention to details, why not incorporate it into the mechanics of the game?

Let's see that roster expand in September

Expand the statistical engine and tighten it up

How about mouse support, drop and drag

Ball physics, ball physics, ball physics

A touchy, yet rock solid slider system that allows a wide range of game play and variety

Easy to use/user friendly interface and menus

Accurate (to scale) player models and stadiums

Instead, disc space is eaten up watching beach balls or worrying about paying hot dog vendors. I understand some people may like that sort of thing, but my advice is to worry about the game play first, and throw the cosmetics over a good solid foundation.

I really wasn't complaining about the sliders, I do like them alot. The default sliders really sucked out of the box. Soriano hit 4 homers in my first game played, and there were 10 total. With your sliders, 1 or 2 is realistic. I still got pounded though, trying to adjust to getting my pitches located. Now only if the slowmo outfielders could get to the freaking fly balls! :angry:

I really wasn't complaining about the sliders, I do like them alot. The default sliders really sucked out of the box. Soriano hit 4 homers in my first game played, and there were 10 total. With your sliders, 1 or 2 is realistic. I still got pounded though, trying to adjust to getting my pitches located. Now only if the slowmo outfielders could get to the freaking fly balls! :angry:

I didn't think you were complaining, I appreciate all the feedback we can get. :D

The pitching was way to frustrating for me. Set the gesture and hold time down to 10. It's frustrating enough with the fielding for me most the time, sure as hell don't need to be pissing around with pitching. I've had no problem hitting homeruns without the left stick up. Played 10 games in franchise mode and have hit 14 homeruns...just gotta have perfect timing and guessing the pitch helps.

hey JR, I think everything is pretty close sliders wise, my thought was maybe we should try a global edit of the walk rating. If all batters walk rating increased say 20 points I'd be very interested in seeing if the CPU takes more pitches.

From what you have seen so far is there any validity to the idea?

I was trying to throw the pitches that my catcher was calling, and was getting rocked doing so. It's almost like he was telling the hitter what was coming. :lol: Now I decided to throw whatever I want whenever I want, and the games are looking more reasonable. :D

I was trying to throw the pitches that my catcher was calling, and was getting rocked doing so. It's almost like he was telling the hitter what was coming. :lol: Now I decided to throw whatever I want whenever I want, and the games are looking more reasonable. :D

make sure you turn off catcher suggestions in the options menu then. IF you don't you can get more passed balls than normal since if your catcher is calling for a high and outside fastball and you throw a low and in curve he will miss it more.

hey JR, I think everything is pretty close sliders wise, my thought was maybe we should try a global edit of the walk rating. If all batters walk rating increased say 20 points I'd be very interested in seeing if the CPU takes more pitches.

From what you have seen so far is there any validity to the idea?

Not a bad idea. I'm seeing 1-3 walks a game per team, which isn't bad, but probably wouldn't hurt to be a little higher. If you want, I'd love for you to try this out (if you're testing) and report what you find in this thread. I'm just starting to work on the 'higher homerun totals per game', and I'll be testing that for now.

JR i have been testing the direction influence as well for two more games bumped it to 50 and have not hit a homer with some great cuts? I am going to test it at 100 at this point to see if it makes a drastic difference just to see what the slider is doing...I will post feedback.

Well, I have some good news on the homerun issues. I bumped the Hit Influence up to 100 and immediately noticed better, solid contact all the way around, even with pitches low and away. I held "up" with every swing (for testing), and the second time through the lineup I hit a homerun down the right field line (batting left handed) with Milton Bradley, and hit several shots to the warning track with average players. This seems to be the answer, but only testing and a good amount of games will dictate where to keep this slider.

For my own preferences, I'm going to keep it at 100 and pull it down as I go.

Not a bad idea. I'm seeing 1-3 walks a game per team, which isn't bad, but probably wouldn't hurt to be a little higher. If you want, I'd love for you to try this out (if you're testing) and report what you find in this thread. I'm just starting to work on the 'higher homerun totals per game', and I'll be testing that for now.

I'll try editing one team and see what happens with it. I'll also bump that slider to 100 as well and let you know.

Cool. Thanks, Hoops.

alright only 1 game so far but with the Jays I beat the Rangers 2-1

I figured the Rangers were as free swinging a team as there is, so I upped all their walk ratings by 20. Interesting side note on that... every player had a walk rating of 56,59, or 63 before I touched them with all but two having a 59 or 63 which leads me to believe 2K didn't put much thought into the walk ratings.

Now Texas made me throw 102 pitches to get through the game and took around 10-13 first pitch strikes, the most noticeable part for me was with a 0-2 or 1-2 count I used to be able to throw a curve in the dirt or a pitch like that and they would usually chase. But now with an 0-2 count on about 8 batters 2 fought back to 3-2 counts, and one drew a walk.

So initially there could be something to the walk rating idea. As for the power well I cant hit to save my life LOL though I did have a double on a no stick swing. I did hit a couple high fly balls with the stick going up (slider @ 100)

All in all the game play really feels good, and with some tweaking we have a pretty good baseball game on our hands. If any of the roster guys read this they may want to seriously look at jakking the walk rating across the board. I'll play a couple more against the Rangers with different teams and see if it holds true (which also means I get to be struck out by Millwood's stinking slow curve some more :angry: )

I was not liking this game when I first got it, but after applying the patch, I have to admit, the game play is much improved. It's still not perfect but much better. I tried these sliders, with a few minor tweaks to suite my playing style, and I have to say I'm having some really good games. Some close games, blow outs, late inning come backs from both sides and shutouts. (Last game played, got shutout on 4 hits by Johan Santana).

Just wanted to say thanks for posting these and also for all the work you're doing to get them as "real" as possible.

alright only 1 game so far but with the Jays I beat the Rangers 2-1

the most noticeable part for me was with a 0-2 or 1-2 count I used to be able to throw a curve in the dirt or a pitch like that and they would usually chase. But now with an 0-2 count on about 8 batters 2 fought back to 3-2 counts, and one drew a walk.

I was noticing this too, I had gotten out of a jam by throwing breaking balls in the dirt. This happened a couple of times, but I hadn't done it enough to see a pattern. Either way, it sounds like you may be on to something positive. I'd rather earn it honestly, then have an easy "out".

Thanks for testing this, Hoops. If you finally conclude that this improves walks/pitch sequence, please post the fix in this thread, this is something that definitely adds to the realism of the game.

I was not liking this game when I first got it, but after applying the patch, I have to admit, the game play is much improved. It's still not perfect but much better. I tried these sliders, with a few minor tweaks to suite my playing style, and I have to say I'm having some really good games. Some close games, blow outs, late inning come backs from both sides and shutouts. (Last game played, got shutout on 4 hits by Johan Santana).

Just wanted to say thanks for posting these and also for all the work you're doing to get them as "real" as possible.

I agree. Even bugs aside, the CPU pounded the strike zone consistently, and the Human User was way too easy to hit with, homeruns included. Anyone that tries these sliders should consider them a base, and work out their tweaks to fit their own playing style. The good thing is, these sliders seem to fix the glaring (and most important) issues, along with a patch that looks like it did it's job. For the most part.

Anyway, I appreciate the input. The more variety, the better.

I was noticing this too, I had gotten out of a jam by throwing breaking balls in the dirt. This happened a couple of times, but I hadn't done it enough to see a pattern. Either way, it sounds like you may be on to something positive. I'd rather earn it honestly, then have an easy "out".

Thanks for testing this, Hoops. If you finally conclude that this improves walks/pitch sequence, please post the fix in this thread, this is something that definitely adds to the realism of the game.

i think the only thing that scares me about my "fix" will be that the fix is editing every player in the game. if we had global editor no problem. but right now thats a bit of a nightmare. Once Snash has his rosters out (V1) I'll take a look at doing every player.

The other thing I have heard is that it is too hard to steal. i play more of a station to station game rather than small ball. Is this something that you are finding as well? if so maybe a global edit of -10 to the catchers arms may be needed.

edit: I also posted at the 2k forums with the adjustment I made to the ratings and asked for other people to try it out to get a larger sample size, and I figure if half the people say the do see a change then we really are onto something.

The other thing I have heard is that it is too hard to steal. i play more of a station to station game rather than small ball. Is this something that you are finding as well? if so maybe a global edit of -10 to the catchers arms may be needed.

I play the same way, but I have heard the same things you have. When getting a lead, the pitcher holds on to the ball too long, either picking off the runner or completely throwing off the timing, making it extremely difficult to pull off.

But like I said, I play mostly the same way that you do, small ball, but it would be nice to at least 'even the playing field' when and/if you have to steal a base. But absolutely, if you can test this out (global edit -10) with results, please post it back here.

Thanks.

Archived