Getting Closer

JoeRudi26

Also ... what type of framerate are you guys getting? I have a decent video card (NVidia9400) but a slowish processer (2.7GHz), and I am getting framerates in the low/mid 30s with many of the features turned to "low/medium". I generally turn everything back up to "high" when viewing end of game replays, so I can get some good FRAPS for franchise images and photoshop activities. But, I am wondering if framerate has any effect on how the game plays, since many of you seem to be getting very good play from these settings.

I'd like to think that I have a pretty decent computer: a 3.0GHz CPU, GeForce 8800GT (512MB Video Ram) with 2 GB of system RAM and the game still "hiccups" in certain spots. This annoying stuttering seems to be most prevalent during transitional moments -- namely when the baseball leaves a hitter's bat and the camera quickly switches to the fielding view. It also occurs during cross field throws from 3B to 1B. The fluidity of the animations become jerky. Annoying, yeah, but it's not a deal breaker. Still, I'd love to play this game on a $5,000.00 system, just to see if those annoyances would still be there or not... <_<

I think both of those video cards are pretty solid. If either of your rigs are a single core CPU that might be your bottleneck. I've got a 2.4 GHz quad core and the GF GTX 260. The game runs smooth at 1680 x 1050 with all the settings cranked. My LCD only supports 60 Hz so my frame rate is 60 FPS.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think i've got what will be my final slider set-up. I'm going to play 3 games with what I came up with yesterday and see how fairly competitive it is for user vs. cpu. I think it's going to be really good, i've played a couple games with them yesterday and had some really fun games. I'm about burnt out messing with these dam things anyways, so i'm pretty much sure this is going to be it.....lol. I've really gotten some great ideas from reading all the comments on JR's sliders and i've done alot of tweaking from there, so thanks to everyones ideas and thoughts. You all have made this a great enjoyable game and I for one think it's a keeper for me.

Just wanted to say: thank you for the great job by everyone here getting 2K9 closer to a realistic game. I am really satisfied with the sliders posted earlier, as they make the game much better and the results closer.

Im just a bit confused about all the stuff that has changed over the course of 20+ pages. Maybe someone can update the first page with the current slider set or just summarize them on the last page, as I dont really know what has changed so far...

but all in all really a BIG thank you for all the testing and result posting of all the sliders...

think alot of it is just our different prefences fall. I prefer playing without left stick and playing with alot more steals and hit and runs than most of the others. I've finally managed to tune in the baserunning where i can get in safe 3-7 times with 85+ speed runners which makes me happy. Also got the no left stick batting so that i have 9 homers in 12 games no one player with over 3. batting avg's have also leveled out rather nicely highest average is .445 and lowest is .195 which is an improvement from my older slider settings i suggested.

think alot of it is just our different prefences fall. I prefer playing without left stick and playing with alot more steals and hit and runs than most of the others. I've finally managed to tune in the baserunning where i can get in safe 3-7 times with 85+ speed runners which makes me happy. Also got the no left stick batting so that i have 9 homers in 12 games no one player with over 3. batting avg's have also leveled out rather nicely highest average is .445 and lowest is .195 which is an improvement from my older slider settings i suggested.

What sliders do you have set for your steals?

pitch speeds at 100 . 2 bits of advice to actually manage a steal. 1 watch the pitchers windup some of the pitchers have a real bad delay in their windup those you can roll with just about any runner above 80 and be safe 9 out of 10 tries. For the faster pitchers I play a little more of a guessing game, 1st runner i have on base i get a lead then count how long after the lead to when he actually starts his windup. Sometimes you'll get ahead or behind but it seems to work fairly well from my testing so far.

hey, what are your hitting settings for user? i experimented alot but i just can't find a slider set that would give me a realistic amount of hr's without using the left stick. i'd like a set that gives me an average of a hr per 10 hits...

You just have to use your pitches wisely use your fastball sparingly and only to set up off speed and breaking balls. Inside edge really helps a lot in those situations.

JR, I was just adding your numbers (game results in my mind), and your per game averages (MLB avr's in parentheses) are fairly close (for the 7 game sample). 17 hits (18.5), 7.2 runs (9.6).

Therein lies the challenge, and the difference between 2k9 and MLB .... bases on balls. With the "right" number of walks, most of us would be getting very very close numbers of hits AND runs per game.

The trouble is there's just so few walks on this game (IMO, it's programmed to play a 'fast game' ... lots of strikes), so that the numbers of hits do not score just a couple more runs than they do.

THat seems to be the "catch", either the slider sets offer a tad too much offense or a tad too much pitching. The solution might be to alternate between slider sets every 10 games .... and the season totals would be very close to right on mlb averages.

Maybe I take this realism stuff too far. *grin*

JR, I was just adding your numbers (game results in my mind), and your per game averages (MLB avr's in parentheses) are fairly close (for the 7 game sample). 17 hits (18.5), 7.2 runs (9.6).

Therein lies the challenge, and the difference between 2k9 and MLB .... bases on balls. With the "right" number of walks, most of us would be getting very very close numbers of hits AND runs per game.

The trouble is there's just so few walks on this game (IMO, it's programmed to play a 'fast game' ... lots of strikes), so that the numbers of hits do not score just a couple more runs than they do.

THat seems to be the "catch", either the slider sets offer a tad too much offense or a tad too much pitching. The solution might be to alternate between slider sets every 10 games .... and the season totals would be very close to right on mlb averages.

Maybe I take this realism stuff too far. *grin*

Im gonna try lowering all of the pitchers walk ratings by 10 to see if it will increase the amount of walks. I'm gonna do a couple of teams tomorrow and see what happens.

The higher walk ratings for BATTERS do not seem to have much affect in PLAYED games.

In simmed games, according to Hoop27's simulations, they work great.

Lowering the pitchers walk rating (i.e., making it worse) by 10 may be the way to go.

Post what you get, and I'll try it tomorrow and do the same.

However, in order to NOT screw up the simmed games (other teams), one likely should not decrease pitchers control ratings AND increase hitters walk ratings (especially by 10). I have no idea if changing one (batter OR pitcher) of the ratings by 10 would have the same affect as changing BOTH (batter AND pitcher) by 5. I really don't feel like changing BOTH just to find out.

Like I said, 2k baseball is A LOT of work for the customer. They don't test their baseball games ... at all (or so it seems).

It does seem as though it is going to take [1] roster edits and [2] slider overhauls (compared to the default settings) to get the pitcher in PLAYED games to have a realistic number of walks, while still having realistic games in regards to runs, hits, homers, etc.

If that doesn't work, I'm pretty resolved to just viewing 2k9 as mostly an arcade type one season only game, and just play the games with trying to have as much fun as possible.

We're also gonna have to look at pitcher fatigue sliders for guys that work counts, both in the box and on the bump.

I'm using Wicked's sliders (with default - 50 - pitcher fatigue) in a game currently (with the roster edits for catcher's arm, contact, and batter walks) and it's a good game at the end of the 5th:

STL: 1-4-0

ATL: 2-7-0

Carpenter: 39/64(61%)

Braves: 41/54 (76%)

The Braves starter was gone after 4.1 and Carpenter is at 0% Stamina after 64 pitches, with a 92 stamina rating.

IE and Catch Sugg on. Default (50) Pitcher fatigue ain't gonna work if you're going to work the counts. I guess most probably already knew that.

This is pretty common for me, except the diff is these sliders are a notch above (in pitching difficulty) than where I was before 85 v. 90 (pitch speeed at 85 though, not 80).

We couldn't get realistic walks #'s on either 2k7 or 2k8 with sliders, and I don;t think anyone really wanted to edit all of he pitchers control ratings. On 2k9 with PC, it goes pretty fast.

I'd be really scared to edit the pitcher ratings for the sim aspect I think it would shoot the walks up even more.

I haven't had an issue with pitcher fatigue yet. I believe I have it still at what JR had in his though I have turned down the pitch speed to 60 because I'm old and slow ;)

I'd be really scared to edit the pitcher ratings for the sim aspect I think it would shoot the walks up even more.

Do you mean edit ONLY pitcher ratings or are you referring to editing pitcher ratings on rosters that already have the batter's walk ratings increased?

I agree that I would not do both. Since I have not noticed a change (at all really) in the game results in PLAYED games with the number of walks, I'd think changing the pitcher's control ratings (ONLY) would be worth a shot.

Thoughts?

I'm glad you guys are having fun with this game, unfortunately I'm not. Still getting killed by big innings early in games by the opposition. Was playing Florida at Pittsburgh yesterday and was down 9-0 by the 3rd inning. I've used wicked's sliders and they aren't doing a thing for me. I watch my pitches, trying to hit the corners, and they still find a way to crush them. Also, fielding is a joke as well. The ball will scoot by the SS or 2B with regularity. Are you suppose to adjust the infield-outfield defense before each batter? I just want to play a game that won't make me quit before 5 innings.

I just played a helluva game with Wicked's ... StL 5, ATL 3. (I threw 107 pitches, 64% strikes, AI threw 98 (76% strikes). I like the 90-90-90 slider for user pitcher.

Another problem seems to be hitting sliders that are in the sweet spot in between "almost all singles" and "too many HRs".

I can handle the "too many singles" as a compensation for the "not enough walks". It balances out in how the game is actually played (runs scored, WHIP, etc), but your players' BA will be a little too high (your team is gonna hit .300)

Like I said before, with 2k7 and 2k8 (300+ games) we were never able to get any sliders that worked for walks, so pitcher ratings may be the only way (in PLAYED games, not SIM games). I was able to "be satisfied" but just focusing on WHIP, RS, and HR as my main "realism stats".

I also do not want to use the left stick, but that another discussion.

Try Darkspaces Simsational sliders. They seem to be a more "middle of the road" in terms of difficulty, yet yield some really good games/results. No left stick required. You can also earn player cards. Start with the pro slider setting when you are adjusting though (or it will disable the cards).

Do you mean edit ONLY pitcher ratings or are you referring to editing pitcher ratings on rosters that already have the batter's walk ratings increased?

I agree that I would not do both. Since I have not noticed a change (at all really) in the game results in PLAYED games with the number of walks, I'd think changing the pitcher's control ratings (ONLY) would be worth a shot.

Thoughts?

you know I think the theory is fine, but I think if you had the walk ratings (for batters) back to where they were, you would run into the CPU swinging at everything.

Right now I'm getting games where the CPU is taking pitches and even getting caught looking. I haven't had a ton of walks either but I've had a couple.

I think the solution for us is to make it more difficult to pitch. Such as was done in the 07 mod with the smaller pitch meter. I should also point out I'm using the right stick to pitch, and I've found it tricky and you need to focus on what your doing or get rocked.

So I figure until we can find a datafile in the game we may be fudged.

As for the left stick batting. Again until we find a datafile there is nothing the sliders can do for that.

you know I think the theory is fine, but I think if you had the walk ratings (for batters) back to where they were, you would run into the CPU swinging at everything.

Probably. As I mentioned before, and I'm thinking of all the slider work we did with 2k7/2k8, I think 2k programs the players to be aggressive and to have a fast-paced game with lots of strikes and lot of action. There's not a lot one can do (IMO) unless you can get "into the programming".

Right now I'm getting games where the CPU is taking pitches and even getting caught looking. I haven't had a ton of walks either but I've had a couple.

I agree. They take pitches, I take pitches, yet so few take the "4th ball". I haven't kept track but it seems like most of my walks are 4-pitch walks. My favorite is when one pitcher walked 2 of my guys (Rasmus, Schumaker), drilled Duncan with the 9th, and then gave up a GS to Pujols (at least it was a strike, right?)

I think the solution for us is to make it more difficult to pitch. Such as was done in the 07 mod with the smaller pitch meter. I should also point out I'm using the right stick to pitch, and I've found it tricky and you need to focus on what your doing or get rocked.

I like Wicked's 90-90-90 setting as far as difficulty goes. It's delicate balance between making pitching hard, and making it so hard that it's impossible to consistently make good pitches to aggressive hitters without being unrealistic in the Xbase hits.

So I figure until we can find a datafile in the game we may be fudged.

Wouldn't be the first time I've been fudged.

As for the left stick batting. Again until we find a datafile there is nothing the sliders can do for that.

I'm very happy with how Darkspace's sliders work with the no left stick thing. Through 22 games, Pujols has 6 HRs, Ludwick 5 (and for some reason Ryan gets a lot of good pitches), Duncan has 2 and Ankiel 3. Those are, IMO, very realistic numbers.

I think we are just going to have to settle for a game that is not programmed to issue many walks. We're gonna have to tolerate lots of singles, with the understanding that game results are mostly based on WHIP, and that more singles and less walks results in essentially the same runs scored ... only the players' BA are going to be a little higher than usual.

Thinking of a possible new franchise this weekend with controlling one AL and one NL team (as I did in 2k8) to experience all of the players, stadiums, unis, cards, etc and alternate between sim/play (at least they'll get some OBP there), and just enjoy the dang game. I'll either redo my 2k8 I-70 franchise (KC&STL) or pick two teams no one else uses HOU-TEX, CIN-CLE, ARZ-OAK.

That's all for me. Daddy go nigh-nigh.

Archived