Getting Closer

JoeRudi26

I'm really starting to notice that if I don't play every day my timing gets way off. I was hitting just fine a couple days ago but yesterday I could I couldn't hit the side of a barn lol. Timing is definitely very important with these sliders and if you try to use the left stick too much 8 time outta 10 your gonna hit weak fly balls if you don't choose the right pitch to hit.

i turned down the pitch speed to 70 from 100 for that same reason.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, I have been following this thread with quite some interest so now that I finally started a season with this set of sliders I wanted to share my info with you.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

As you can see Red Sox beat the Rays 2-0 in opening day and Beckett was a beast, starting the season with a shutout of all things! offenses were a little anaemic in runs, but there was some scoring situations that just didn't work out. Pitch count was a little lowish (around 80 for both teams) with no walks. In my case I wasn't patient enough at the plate, so I could have probably drawn some walks. When pitching, Beckett had astounding command. CPU still swang quite a lot (this is post patch) so I didn't see much difference there yet, but of course it's only one game.

All in all an excellent game, with Beckett actually resembling his real counterpart in opening day. I'll keep posting some games if you guys are interested and, depending on the stats, may tweak some sliders here and there trying to fine tune them even more, although they are quite excellent already.

Congrats everybody for your work and let's play ball! :)

Alright i have a new theory.

Lets turn down the CPU Pitch success rate. I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but when the CPU strikes you out sometimes it brings up that chart of where every pitch ended up. I didn't think anything of it at first but every time it comes up 99% of pitches are on the corners or off the plate. There are almost no mistakes by the cpu, which would explain why people are having a tough time hitting homers.

I think the slider is at 40 right now I suggest taking it to 20 and see if there are any more pitches that catches the fat part of the plate.

lowering the cpu pitch sucess will firstly get a pitcher to throw more balls. with 30 you can easily get 5-6 walks per game. 35 seems quite right - good pitch counts, pitchers make mistakes etc.

SOLD! LOL Lets give 35 a go and see what happens :D

Ok, I had a little time this morning, and with all the talk about hits and home runs not being accurate, I decided to crunch some numbers, just out of curiosity mainly. I thought it would be interesting to see how far off or how close the game was in these departments (hitting, homeruns, runs per game), so I compared what has happened in the Major Leagues to the same amount of games in 2K9 with these certain sliders.

Major League

April 5th - April 9th

49 Games Played

3 Postponed (Tampa/Boston April 6, Kansas City/CHW April 6, LAA/Oakland April 9)

Average Hits Per Game - 16.2

Average Home Runs Per Game - 2.29

Average Runs Per Game - 8.52

MLB 2K 9

April 5th - April 9th

49 Games Played

* 3 Postponed (Accounted For)

Average Hits Per Game - 18.5

Average Home Runs Per Game - 2.10

Average Runs Per Game - 8.22

*The same amount of games (MLB) were accounted for in 2K9. To keep the comparisons accurate, I simply didn't figure in the real life postponements, etc.*

It was a nice surprise to see these total so close. I'm going to take the AI Batter Success and AI Batter Contact down to 40 (from 45) and 20 (from 25) and raise the AI Batting Power from 50 to 55 to see if the numbers come even closer to real life, and then test them again after the same amount of games (50).

Ok, I had a little time this morning, and with all the talk about hits and home runs not being accurate, I decided to crunch some numbers, just out of curiosity mainly. I thought it would be interesting to see how far off or how close the game was in these departments (hitting, homeruns, runs per game), so I compared what has happened in the Major Leagues to the same amount of games in 2K9 with these certain sliders.

Major League

April 5th - April 9th

49 Games Played

3 Postponed (Tampa/Boston April 6, Kansas City/CHW April 6, LAA/Oakland April 9)

Average Hits Per Game - 16.2

Average Home Runs Per Game - 2.29

Average Runs Per Game - 8.52

MLB 2K 9

April 5th - April 9th

49 Games Played

* 3 Postponed (Accounted For)

Average Hits Per Game - 18.5

Average Home Runs Per Game - 2.10

Average Runs Per Game - 8.22

*The same amount of games (MLB) were accounted for in 2K9. To keep the comparisons accurate, I simply didn't figure in the real life postponements, etc.*

It was a nice surprise to see these total so close. I'm going to take the AI Batter Success and AI Batter Contact down to 40 (from 45) and 20 (from 25) and raise the AI Batting Power from 50 to 55 to see if the numbers come even closer to real life, and then test them again after the same amount of games (50).

So I am guessing you simmed all those games to get the numbers?

And this is great news! Now we just need to figure out how to get user home runs up a bit. I'm not sure what you guys are doing but I'm at 1 homer in 5 games so far.

In your research did you see what the SB numbers were like? I'm thinking percentage of success wise first.

I'm actually playing my season along with the real schedule (as the Cubs). I just went to the schedule and went through each day's boxscores:

For example, there was one game Sunday, Atlanta @ Philadelphia. I went through the boxscore and got the total hits, total runs, and total homeruns from both teams. I did the same thing Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for all teams and all games. The only human games are mine, of course.

I then did the same thing with the Major League scores and totals so I could compare them.

It really didn't take that long, I'm going to dig into some other numbers and see how they stack up.

Joe, you're hitting 2+ home runs a game? ... I get about 1 every 5 or more games.

I think that was average of all the games in his franchise. not the ones he only played. What it shows is that for simulating stats through the season the sliders are getting close to MLB averages which is great news.

Now the trick is to get the in game sliders to somewhat match up with these numbers on a consistent basis.

Hopefully we can figure out a way to get the home run numbers up without joystick influence but who knows so far.

The trick for sliders is to test the snot out of them until you get numbers that give realistic game play and results for the bulk of people.

Joe, you're hitting 2+ home runs a game? ... I get about 1 every 5 or more games.

These numbers are for all the teams in the league combined. But after bumping the Hitting Influence stick from 0 to 100, I've hit 3 homeruns in 2 games.

Here are the averages of the three games I've actually played (vs Houston). These are the numbers for both teams combined.

5 runs per game

13.1 hits per game

1 error per game

4.1 K per game

.66 BB per game

April 6-9

*I've played ahead of schedule, but the numbers I've posted are just up until today's date*

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/2k-s...me-sliders.html

That guy claims to be getting decent HR totals. I might try his sliders tomorrow and see what happens.

EDIT: You got 3 homers in 2 games? I might have to give yours a try with that change first then. What team do you play as?

Ramirez hit one the day I bumped up the sliders, and Bradley and Soriano hit one the very next game. To be honest, I didn't realize how many HR's were hit in the Majors until I started going through them today.

Much higher than I had expected. As much as 6 per game.

*oops, I play as the Cubs B)

Everyone needs to keep in mind, the biggest factor in any slider set is your style of play. When considering a set, use what works for you, but discard what doesn't, or tweak it until it does. I can't stress this enough. These sliders are working for me because I am tweaking them to my style of play. I recommend that anyone else do the same. In other words, consider a slider set as a base instead of an instant fix. Everyone plays differently.

I'm still poking around in stats looking for a no left stick home run fix so far 6 games no homers but I think I'm actually getting closer. Right now I'm managing alot more flys deep (wall and track shots) hits are still fairly reasonable as you can see by the last couple game stats I posted. Steal sliders seem pretty accurate imo (also listed them on this thread somewhere). Maybe I just have the Joe curse since he's using the cubs and some1 had to get the bad luck.

Hey JR would you mind making a list of what each slider does? I'm sure it would help a lot of people adjust to their style of play.

I wish I knew exactly what they all did, but unfortunately there are a few I'm sort of still in the dark about. Batting Pitch Influence, Pitcher Handeness Influence. I'm not even 100% positive what Batting Success and Batting Contact are supposed to do when used in conjunction with each other. My advice is just to play around with them until you get some sort of balance over a good amount of time, that's really all I've done to get the numbers I'm looking for.

Like I said, the best I think we can hope for is just to keep tweaking until the game stays consistent.

Hey guys, I don't post here often, but I've been following the site for 4 years.. JR, and everyone else working on these sliders, I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and time on this. JR, your sliders kick @ss, and with the Hit Stick Influence up to 100 for HR's (and some minor tweaks for myself on fielder speed and user batting contact and CPU batting power up a bit) it's the most realistic feel I've experienced since MVP 08. Still getting the occasional outfielder misplay -- while CPU outfielders make amazing plays everywhere -- but I doubt sliders will help with that. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work. You're making a mediocre-at-best post patch game pretty great, and even with the bugs, it's still a lot of fun. I'm having trouble pulling the ball, but I think that's just my shot reflexes...

I wish I knew exactly what they all did, but unfortunately there are a few I'm sort of still in the dark about. Batting Pitch Influence, Pitcher Handeness Influence. I'm not even 100% positive what Batting Success and Batting Contact are supposed to do when used in conjunction with each other. My advice is just to play around with them until you get some sort of balance over a good amount of time, that's really all I've done to get the numbers I'm looking for.

Like I said, the best I think we can hope for is just to keep tweaking until the game stays consistent.

Pitcher Handedness Influence i think is the rating the pitcher has for the vs left/right handed batter.

Hey guys, I don't post here often, but I've been following the site for 4 years.. JR, and everyone else working on these sliders, I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and time on this. JR, your sliders kick @ss, and with the Hit Stick Influence up to 100 for HR's (and some minor tweaks for myself on fielder speed and user batting contact and CPU batting power up a bit) it's the most realistic feel I've experienced since MVP 08. Still getting the occasional outfielder misplay -- while CPU outfielders make amazing plays everywhere -- but I doubt sliders will help with that. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work. You're making a mediocre-at-best post patch game pretty great, and even with the bugs, it's still a lot of fun. I'm having trouble pulling the ball, but I think that's just my shot reflexes...

I know man, there's a gold glover at every position in every infield that I've played against so far. Tighter than a frog's a@@ in water, as they say, but the end results seem to turn out ok so in essence it's working out for me.

Thanks to a lot of people we're at least heading in the right direction. I'm going to get my 20 dollars worth of baseball this summer if it's the last thing I do. B)

think I've figured out a couple of things with the batting sliders. Success is chance of actually making solid contact on the ball. Contact is actually hitting the ball not solid contact like I earlier thought. By jacking up the success slider i noticed in 3 innings that the number of hard hit flyballs and linedrives increased alot. i lowered contact after that to see the effect and found that I was actually missing more swings than before. If anybody else tries these 2 adjustments please let me know what you found.

Now the trick is to get the in game sliders to somewhat match up with these numbers on a consistent basis.

That may not be entirely possible since so many people have different gaming skills.

Using SFGPBA's sliders (as a base) for 2k8, I was able to get my "played games" stats and the "simmed games" stats (I alternate playing and simming) to be very close to the MLB averages. My played games stats were a little below in the offensive categories, but the simmed games were spot on. Good ol excel spreadhseets.

think I've figured out a couple of things with the batting sliders. Success is chance of actually making solid contact on the ball. Contact is actually hitting the ball not solid contact like I earlier thought. By jacking up the success slider i noticed in 3 innings that the number of hard hit flyballs and linedrives increased alot. i lowered contact after that to see the effect and found that I was actually missing more swings than before. If anybody else tries these 2 adjustments please let me know what you found.

I tried this yesterday in a game with 80 success, 0 contact, and 100 power. In batting practice i was blasting HR's easily, but in the game no such luck. I got shut out by the pirates 8-0, lol. They had 13 hits and i had 12, but they came in hitting clutch and i was just the opposite. Soon I'm gonna play a couple more games with em and see how it goes.

EDIT: Game 2 was pretty bad... I had 3 HR's and 4 doubles with a 22 hit game winning 13-2, lol. I think i will try to knock down the success to 65-70 for my next game.

EDIT2: Game 3 wasn't much better. Set it to 55/0/90 and hit 3 HR's with 14 hits. Gonna keep messing with this though. It's the only one i've been able to hit a good amount of HR's on.

That may not be entirely possible since so many people have different gaming skills.

Using SFGPBA's sliders (as a base) for 2k8, I was able to get my "played games" stats and the "simmed games" stats (I alternate playing and simming) to be very close to the MLB averages. My played games stats were a little below in the offensive categories, but the simmed games were spot on. Good ol excel spreadhseets.

Could you post the sliders you've been using to get those good results? Thanks

Archived