JoeRudi26

Sony or 2K - Which Will It Be?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which Game Will You Purchase?

• Sony MLB The Show '10
    • MLB 2K10
    • Both
    • Neither One, I'm Sticking With MVP

Some people like to be involved in playing baseball games, rather than have it do everything for you like The Show.

You are the king of exaggeration.

Since The Show hasn't changed a lick since 2008, there is zero reason to pay $60 for roster updates on an outdated game.

It's changed a lot since 2008. A roster update ? LOL, you exaggerate too much, man ! You have some balls saying " outdated game " when you probably prefer MVP 2005, which is truly outdated at this point. I bet after sayin' this, the MVP wolves'll get me, but I don't care. Sean is askin' for it by sayin' what he says. He's being ridiculous.

You are the king of exaggeration.

It's changed a lot since 2008. A roster update ? LOL, you exaggerate too much, man ! You have some balls saying " outdated game " when you probably prefer MVP 2005, which is truly outdated at this point. I bet after sayin' this, the MVP wolves'll get me, but I don't care. Sean is askin' for it by sayin' what he says. He's being ridiculous.

The only changes I saw in '09 were a destroyed frame rate, better graphics and batting practice. I once thought the Show was the next best thing, but it still needs a major advancement. I'd love to know if the major, undeniable problems of '08 were actually solved by '09, but I haven't gotten a straight answer (the foul ball bug, pitch meter having no effect on where the ball ends up, RTTS goals, etc). No game should let me throw 3 scoreless innings by throwing fastballs down the dead center of the zone.

2k is a disappointment waiting to happen, but at least the pitching system is interesting.

The only changes I saw in '09 were a destroyed frame rate, better graphics and batting practice. I once thought the Show was the next best thing, but it still needs a major advancement. I'd love to know if the major, undeniable problems of '08 were actually solved by '09, but I haven't gotten a straight answer (the foul ball bug, pitch meter having no effect on where the ball ends up, RTTS goals, etc). No game should let me throw 3 scoreless innings by throwing fastballs down the dead center of the zone.

2k is a disappointment waiting to happen, but at least the pitching system is interesting.

Alright, now you're talkin'.. I'm personally cool with The Show. I like it and think it's the best MLB video game currently being made.

What's " the foul ball bug " ?

The way the meter influences pitches is a weird to me too.

I'm OK with RTTS goals, but I don't create pitchers and I know you do, so I can't speak on that aspect.

What difficulty was set when you threw 3 scoreless innings like that ?

MLB 2K is always a disappointment waiting to happen, but I'm actually lookin' forward to trying it this year on PC. I'm not biased. I'm not a " Show fanboy ". I do like the game though.

Alright, now you're talkin'.. I'm personally cool with The Show. I like it and think it's the best MLB video game currently being made.

What's " the foul ball bug " ?

The way the meter influences pitches is a weird to me too.

I'm OK with RTTS goals, but I don't create pitchers and I know you do, so I can't speak on that aspect.

What difficulty was set when you threw 3 scoreless innings like that ?

MLB 2K is always a disappointment waiting to happen, but I'm actually lookin' forward to trying it this year on PC. I'm not biased. I'm not a " Show fanboy ". I do like the game though.

I once had a 24 pitch at bat in The Show '08, where it simply didn't matter where I threw the ball, it was fouled off. At least once a game, sometimes more, there would be a 10+ pitch at bat, where the game would take over and it wouldn't matter what you threw. It led to perfectly accurate pitch counts, but also completely removed any interest you'd have in pitching. Why bother trying to conserve your energy by throwing sinkers if the game was just going to ruin it anyway?

The pitch meter is just completely pointless and outdated. At least in MVP it depended on where you landed in the zone. In the Show, I can nail the line perfectly, and the game decides the fastball will be right down the middle when it should be on the corner. Yet again, a disincentive to try.

I've explained most of my annoyance with the RTTS goals, and the same goes for every career mode out there. In FIFA '09 I got the "don't get a red card" yesterday, which is ludicrous. But when I fail two goals in a row because my closer only gets into 2 games in a month and get demoted, the system is broken.

I put the difficulty on the level equivalent to all-star in MVP, so the 3rd of the 4th. Just chucked strikes down the middle without touching the location stick. Gave up 3 or 4 hits, but also struck out several players. It took me months of dedicated playing of The Show to realize that my input didn't matter, so I stopped playing soon after. If only Pro Yakyuu Spirits 1). had an english translation, and 2). could deal with non-strikes.

I once had a 24 pitch at bat in The Show '08, where it simply didn't matter where I threw the ball, it was fouled off...

OK, I've seen that too in MLB 08, but I never saw that in 09.

The pitch meter is just completely pointless and outdated. At least in MVP it depended on where you landed in the zone. In the Show, I can nail the line perfectly, and the game decides the fastball will be right down the middle when it should be on the corner. Yet again, a disincentive to try.

That's valid. What can I say ? I'd be a douche bag to argue with you about that because I've noticed that myself.

I put the difficulty on the level equivalent to all-star in MVP, so the 3rd of the 4th. Just chucked strikes down the middle without touching the location stick. Gave up 3 or 4 hits, but also struck out several players. It took me months of dedicated playing of The Show to realize that my input didn't matter, so I stopped playing soon after

Was this something you experienced while playing MLB 08 as well ? Hey, I mean, I understand what you're sayin'. I've actually felt what you're talkin' about ( user input didn't matter ), but I feel that user input matters more than it doesn't when I'm playin' 09.

If only Pro Yakyuu Spirits 1). had an english translation, and 2). could deal with non-strikes.

I wanna try playing that game.. what's the deal with non-strikes ?

Effectively, the CPU will not swing outside of the zone under any circumstances. There's a chance I might have missed a crucial setting in the untranslated game, but everything has to be in the zone. You simply won't get a called strike 3. Damn shame too, because that which is good about PYS is extraordinarily good.

We need a direct port of PYS5 or 6 in English, because the game is just too huge for someone with only a meager knowledge of Japanese. There are entire modes I haven't even been able to figure out yet because it's a wall of Kanji.

Effectively, the CPU will not swing outside of the zone under any circumstances. There's a chance I might have missed a crucial setting in the untranslated game, but everything has to be in the zone. You simply won't get a called strike 3. Damn shame too, because that which is good about PYS is extraordinarily good.

We need a direct port of PYS5 or 6 in English, because the game is just too huge for someone with only a meager knowledge of Japanese. There are entire modes I haven't even been able to figure out yet because it's a wall of Kanji.

Why do the Japs always do things better than us ? LOL

I mean.. Yea.. That strike zone glitch, bug, whatever you wanna call it is bad, but I saw footage of that game it plays damn well.

Why do the Japs always do things better than us ? LOL

I might be able to explain that in three words: Attention to detail. Anyone who has been in the military has heard this saying many times. All it means is paying attention very closely to your work and doing everything you can to making it the best it can be. I immediately think of a company like 2K sports, who time and time again displays no attention to detail and their finished product shows that they don't.

I look at this point differently than you I guess. I HATE pitch meters. They are a crock. I prefer the High Heat way of things. Aim the ball in a zone, and pitch. Pitcher vs batter ratings make the decision where the ball winds up (maybe scripted, but much more realistic). A pitcher with good control gets the ball closer to where he wants it (ala real life), and a pitcher with bad control misses his spots more often. If you face a batter with a high walk rate, sometimes your pitches miss out of the zone, in an effort to make the statistical output closer to real life.

I love a game that is statistically based, rather than rating based, because it is more scripted (like High Heat). The game is coded to try and make the outcomes closer to what they really were. Just because you make a good swing, doesn't mean you are gonna hit it out of the park. If your guy is a 40 homer guy in creation, but he is on a pace for 60, the game would have him hit a warning track shot, but be an out, or bounce off the wall for a double. It's coded to keep things in check with how they should be.

I think that is why The Show is gonna be a great game. I have not played it, but by your descriptions, it is scripted to make the guy play closer to his real life counter part. That, in effect, makes it less arcade, and much more sim.

To each his own, but at the end of the season, when I play a game, I want it to play out like it should, not like the manner in which I hit the buttons.

If you have no part in the action, why not just play OOTP? None of the graphically-based games will ever come close to the complexity of the text sims, so it would make more sense to stay there.

I like to think I have a part in the game I'm playing. If I hit the timing perfectly, I want the pitch to be perfect. Let the stats and ratings decide just how difficult it will be to nail it perfectly. After all, even terrible pitchers have good outings.

I did it. Totally worth it. You don't know the half of how terrible 2k is until you play The Show.

My point was that not everyone has the disposable income to splash out on a PS3 + cost of game when they can get the latest PC game for 30 bucks. :)

Archived