Post Your Classic Games

JoeRudi26

5 minutes ago, Yankee4Life said:

Using Oldtime Baseball at Sportman's Park, St. Louis. The Boston Red Sox (61-93 in 1922) travel to St. Louis to play the Browns (93-61 in 1922.) The wind was really blowing out in this game and the score shows it.

I did not post the boxscore like I did for Tony Larussa 2 because it is not as detailed as the one in Tony 2.

But I do have a short video which you can view right here.

hqdefault.jpg

You know, I looked all over for this baseball game when it came out, never could track it down and finally moved on. The graphics weren't too bad for it's time, it's still one I'd like to get a hold of just for my collection. 

What a game, 33 total runs. Must have been a spring training game in late March. :yahoo:

11 minutes ago, JoeRudi26 said:

Thanks Y4L. I fired up Sega's Sports Talk Baseball and was going to play and present the same matchup, but couldn't get Fraps to capture the screens. I'm looking into it.  :ph34r:

Oh what a game that was. I thought it was one of the best for the Sega Genesis. You could not get Jose Canseco out in that game.

8 minutes ago, JoeRudi26 said:

You know, I looked all over for this baseball game when it came out, never could track it down and finally moved on. The graphics weren't too bad for it's time, it's still one I'd like to get a hold of just for my collection. 

And the graphics still are not bad for a 23-year-old game. It's an early version of Total Classics but without the throwback uniforms. I could play an entire season using the 1922 roster or any other year. If this game could ever run on an updated system, look out.

Last one for today. Another DOS baseball game that you can use via DOSBOX. One thing I have noticed about recording parts of these games is that the video is of lower quality than what I am seeing when I am playing the game.

Anyway, here is Hardball 5 by Accolade, which was another good company that made great baseball games. The 1924 Washington Senators visit the 1929 Philadelphia Athletics and there must be something about today because this was the second straight blowout I played. Al Michaels is the announcer.

You can view the video right here.

Hardball 5 example.jpg

4 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

I received no private message.

Really? I can see it in our conversation. Have a look.

4 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

Using Oldtime Baseball at Sportman's Park, St. Louis. The Boston Red Sox (61-93 in 1922) travel to St. Louis to play the Browns (93-61 in 1922.) The wind was really blowing out in this game and the score shows it.

Love it! Man, more people need to play this game. Literally a living encyclopedia of baseball and to be honest despite it's simple graphics engine it still plays a decent game of baseball. The old teams are reason enough to play it. You'll never get another game that so thoroughly represents so many years.

6 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Really? I can see it in our conversation. Have a look.

Try cutting and pasting the message you sent and send it again in a new message. That will work.

6 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Love it! Man, more people need to play this game. Literally a living encyclopedia of baseball and to be honest despite it's simple graphics engine it still plays a decent game of baseball. The old teams are reason enough to play it. You'll never get another game that so thoroughly represents so many years.

No you won't. And doesn't it make you wonder why they can't make a game like this now? I mean here's a game from 1995 that had everything. Just imagine the upgrades they could have made on this today.

Ok, I copy-pasted the message again.

8 hours ago, Yankee4Life said:

No you won't. And doesn't it make you wonder why they can't make a game like this now? I mean here's a game from 1995 that had everything. Just imagine the upgrades they could have made on this today.

I do think that sometimes, and then when I look at what sports games are today, I quickly realise how badly they would have ruined it and messed it up by now. I'm glad we have it just the way it is. I played a few innings last night and I say this as someone who's played games for a long time and knows a thing or two about mechanics and interface, this game plays a lot better than its graphics suggest and I think it's because like all games late 90s - mid 00s, they focussed more on stats and physics because graphics were still being played with.

OXMvWoy.png

September 9, 1965
The great Sandy Koufax and the Los Angeles Dodgers face off against the Chicago Cubs at Dodger Stadium.

9SrU5TH.pngK8Zqt5T.png

In real life Koufax pitched a perfect game; but I fail miserably in duplicating the same feat when I give up a double to the 3rd batter I face, Billy Williams.

IvUtZGB.png

Left fielder "Sweet" Lou Johnson has a phenomenal day at the plate with 7 RBI, 3 HRs, and an OPS of 4.0.

FXzZ40f.png

Hey Lou! You're not supposed to "High-Five" a teammate after a home run for another 12 years.

tqOlrTz.jpg

re7DBeo.png

The Sultan of Strikes!  Yes even Sandy Koufax does his best Babe Ruth imitation a launches a solo shot to beat up further on Cubs pitching.

Slick fielding like Maury Wills' behind the back action shuts down the Cubs for the afternoon.

DnUXRPb.png

Even though I gave up 2 runs and 6 hits; I managed to pitch 9 innings and record 16 strikeouts ( 2 Ks than the real Koufax did that afternoon).

VMe7oDQ.png

qE6Bbgy.png

Mr. Lou Johnson gets Topps player of the game.

Here is Tony Larussa Baseball 3. This was another good edition to the Larussa series that SSI had in the '90's. This game took me awhile to get accustomed to because I was so used to Tony 2. I still am to be honest. I am not taking anything away from this game. It just was a big change.

You can view a short video by clicking right here.

Tony3.thumb.jpg.85f502e044297760c5cff573658862e5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

April 7, 1984.  Dwight Gooden's 1st game in Houston facing the Astros

Y236DPO.png

sFOU1QX.jpg

Mookie robs Phil Garner of a sure HR.

0YE2KTY.jpg

Inside the Astrodome; Gooden is striking guys out left and right until a Bill Doran HR in the 4th to tie it up at one apiece.

JZ69FEX.jpg

8YECZxv.jpgP7hyVB8.jpg

XWF18iz.jpg

vVgkIm7.jpg

Evidently 9 strikeouts for Doc is not enough as I give up another solo HR to Bill "Walk-Off" Doran (again) in the bottom of the 9th.

5QpUnAC.jpg

The Dodgers and Giants are celebrating their 60th Anniversaries since moving to California.  60 years ago they faced each other in San Francisco at old Seals Stadium for their 1st game.

oLtS6BS.jpg

9PDNgfD.jpg

Willie Mays smashes a double in the 1st inning

e015RsH.jpg

HszxU4v.jpg

And his great fielding prevents a Dodgers run from scoring in the 3rd inning

wkJb0YG.jpg

4dIG8jh.jpg

The Giants withstand a Dodgers rally in the 9th inning to preserve the close win.

miNSz4G.jpg

vm8fu6R.jpg

zdwa5cy.jpg

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, dennisjames71 said:

April 9, 1993. 1st AB at the 1st time at home in BallFours' Mile High Stadium.  Lead-off batter Eric Young of the new Colorado Rockies smashes a single off of Dennis Martinez of the Montreal Expos.

Nice one, dennisjames! As an Expos fan, can't say I'm too thrilled about the leadoff single, but I'm glad you gave Mile High a whirl!

Archived