Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
Blue Purple Red Orange Gold Green Teal Chocolate Charcoal
WacoKid

Anticipation attribute

After doing to reading over at Operation Sports forums in the slider section.  Im curious as to how many people here have been playong some of the other player specific attributes, specifically anticipation.  The pursuit of squeezing the most realistic gameplay possible out of this engine where modability is there, but limited is gonna require a deep dive into these kinds of things.

I have been using global edits for 25 anticipation, 99 accelleration, and 99 catcher plate.  From what i can gather in the OS forums and my own gameplay, the anticipation edit was inteded to help smooth out animations and does open up some new ones that weren't possible with higher settings.  But a shortcoming im noticing while doing playthroughs to test my edited pitches, is that pitchers dont field bunts that come right at them, and line drives/hard hit grounders get by first and third baseman with no effort from them.  Has anyone else seen that?  In an effort to fix this I am playing around with this attribute for specific positions.  Have brought anticipation up to 50 for catchers and pitchers, hoping to get some reaction out of the pitchers for bunts, they just kind of stand there and it doesn't reflect proper PFP and to get catchers to be a bit more proactive as well. 

Curious if anyone else has done any experimentation with these or other attributes that might help continue refining gameplay for the better.

Acceleration is meant to determine how fast a user can go from 0 to whatever their maximum speed rating is, right?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Kccitystar said:

Acceleration is meant to determine how fast a user can go from 0 to whatever their maximum speed rating is, right?

Yeah, to clarify this works in conjunction with if/of running speed set fron 0-10.  I go back and forth.  The one thing i find annoying that i dont think we can control specifically with sliders is the slow OF throw release.  It can only be compensated for with throwing speed.  

My goal with starting a conversation on this is to find any attributes the community has played around with and start doing some investigating myself.  I want to come up with a set of global attribute edits by position to give us a better result.  Theres so much to customize, and sliders are personal preference, but I want the projects being worked on to all work together so when the roster is ready it is more than a roster, but bring a new feel to the game.

Edited by WacoKid

I have played a bit with the anticipation attribute, which can be applied to the majority of players in almost all positions, but where I have seen the greatest impact of this attribute is catchers, IF and OF

Anticipation is the player's ability to get ahead of a move depending on his position.

for example in catchers, that attribute helps them a lot to get ahead of a stole base and put the player out in 2B
In the IF and OF  helps in plays where a runner wants to take an extra base so the if / of gets release of the ball faster and also helps when the OF makes the big catches in the outfield.

in the runner it helps when they are going to steal bases or take an additional base  @WacoKid  

1 hour ago, Bostonnico said:

I have played a bit with the anticipation attribute, which can be applied to the majority of players in almost all positions, but where I have seen the greatest impact of this attribute is catchers, IF and OF

Anticipation is the player's ability to get ahead of a move depending on his position.
for example in catchers, that attribute helps them a lot to get ahead of a stole base and put the player out in 2B
In the IF and OF he helps in plays where a runner wants to take an extra base so the if / of gets release of the ball faster and also helps when the OF makes the big catches in the outfield.
in the runner it helps when they are going to steal bases or take an additional base  @WacoKid  

Ahhh ok.  So this could be used to influence outfielders speed of release on their throws?  That's something I've noticed lacking with anticipation at 25.  Do you recall a particular value that worked well with this?  Definitely want to do some experimentation at 1st and 3rd, at 25 the players look like they have no reflexes.  Looking back at what I read on OS about this, the main purpose of it was to make animations smoother.  I want to see if we can find a nice mid point to get proper reaction times and ok animations.  Thanks for the info on this, now I know what I should be looking for.

54 minutes ago, WacoKid said:

Do you recall a particular value that worked well with this?

In the entire infield, you can try 50 in anticipation, because the infielders move very well in their positions and have good throw speed and in outfield you can try 90 or more because this can help in the reaction of the outfielders and of course at throw speed

In the original roster that came with the game, the 2012 roster, this attribute is very important but from the rosters that have been edited here in the community, that attribute was set aside and only has the default values

8 hours ago, Bostonnico said:

In the entire infield, you can try 50 in anticipation, because the infielders move very well in their positions and have good throw speed and in outfield you can try 90 or more because this can help in the reaction of the outfielders and of course at throw speed

In the original roster that came with the game, the 2012 roster, this attribute is very important but from the rosters that have been edited here in the community, that attribute was set aside and only has the default values

Thanks man, appreciate you sharing your experience.  I'll try this and see what happens.  Already made some global edits, just dont have time to do any testing until after next week.  As soon as I do I'll get some video up.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yankee4Life said:

This will be quite an accomplishment if you can do this.

We'll see, learning as I go.

Edited by WacoKid

Update:

Undid the 99 accelleration global edit and have reinstated the original values.  Input global edits for the anticipation attribute by position as follows:

1B: 50

2B: 45

3B: 40

SS: 45

All OF: 70

P & C 50

Got to play 1 game so far and it looks promising. 

Good things seen

-Saw some nice paths taken to make plays in the IF and OF.

-Reaction times to batted balls looking improved.

-Outfielders releasing the ball quicker, and actually seeing some closer plays on relay throws. 

-2nd base charging slow ground balls when needed to get the out at first.

Things that look funny

- pitchers fielding bunts in their vicinity.  This still isnt happening.

- saw a play where my second basemen charged a frozen rope, which shouldnt happen.  It was a screamer.

- looking further into middle infielders making too many successful diving plays up the middle.

Im going to work with these and adjust them as tightly as possible.  Really like it when you can change things by one value to dial them in.  Wish sliders worked this way.

6 hours ago, WacoKid said:

Update:

Undid the 99 accelleration global edit and have reinstated the original values.  Input global edits for the anticipation attribute by position as follows:

1B: 50

2B: 45

3B: 40

SS: 45

All OF: 70

P & C 50

Got to play 1 game so far and it looks promising. 

Good things seen

-Saw some nice paths taken to make plays in the IF and OF.

-Reaction times to batted balls looking improved.

-Outfielders releasing the ball quicker, and actually seeing some closer plays on relay throws. 

-2nd base charging slow ground balls when needed to get the out at first.

Things that look funny

- pitchers fielding bunts in their vicinity.  This still isnt happening.

- saw a play where my second basemen charged a frozen rope, which shouldnt happen.  It was a screamer.

- looking further into middle infielders making too many successful diving plays up the middle.

Im going to work with these and adjust them as tightly as possible.  Really like it when you can change things by one value to dial them in.  Wish sliders worked this way.

In the case of the diving plays, I've found range (and glove) to be more important than anticipation.

19 minutes ago, Cycloniac said:

In the case of the diving plays, I've found range (and glove) to be more important than anticipation.

Yeah, true as far as making the plays, anticipation just makes the reaction times look correct.  Too high and players react before they should, too late and they dont even make an effort to dive.  User/CPU power can influence this too, since it influences how hard the balls are hit, and how fast they come off the bat.  Its a fun balancing act. 

Anticipation in 25 and Blocking the Plate (only for catchers) at 99 is working really well to me, but as you mentioned my outfielders are to slow releasing the ball, so probably I'm going to increase anticipation value to try to fix it.

@WacoKid  iI didn't try with acceleration at 99, I read you undid that value, which was the influence of that value at 99?

This is the article at Operations Sports if someone wants to read it, the animations are at page #3 in answer #17

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-2k/602663-anticipation-attribute.html

Thanks

On 8/12/2020 at 12:06 AM, Fiebre said:

Anticipation in 25 and Blocking the Plate (only for catchers) at 99 is working really well to me, but as you mentioned my outfielders are to slow releasing the ball, so probably I'm going to increase anticipation value to try to fix it.

@WacoKid  iI didn't try with acceleration at 99, I read you undid that value, which was the influence of that value at 99?

This is the article at Operations Sports if someone wants to read it, the animations are at page #3 in answer #17

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-2k/602663-anticipation-attribute.html

Thanks

I started doing global edits by position.  Infielders seem to need to be between 40-50 on this attribute, have to find the right spot for the not to be charging screamers hit at them.  Outfielders I have played around with 75-85 to get their throwing release to be in the right ballpark.  PItchers I also upped to over 50 so they would actually field bunts in a realistic way.  I haven't experimented much with catchers and wonder if making this too high would make them too good at throwing out guys stealing bases.   I'm kind of torn on form over function here, love animations looking better but also prefer more realistic results.  I think doing these by position might be the way to go to get the best of both worlds.  Been away for a minute but am trying to make time to get back into this.  Read that thread and learned a lot from it.

10 hours ago, WacoKid said:

I started doing global edits by position.  Infielders seem to need to be between 40-50 on this attribute, have to find the right spot for the not to be charging screamers hit at them.  Outfielders I have played around with 75-85 to get their throwing release to be in the right ballpark.  PItchers I also upped to over 50 so they would actually field bunts in a realistic way.  I haven't experimented much with catchers and wonder if making this too high would make them too good at throwing out guys stealing bases.   I'm kind of torn on form over function here, love animations looking better but also prefer more realistic results.  I think doing these by position might be the way to go to get the best of both worlds.  Been away for a minute but am trying to make time to get back into this.  Read that thread and learned a lot from it.

hi bro, greetings
definitely the best option is to assign the values individually for each position, so good results can be obtained.
that well that you are back here I hope all is well over there

On 9/10/2020 at 2:52 AM, Bostonnico said:

hi bro, greetings
definitely the best option is to assign the values individually for each position, so good results can be obtained.
that well that you are back here I hope all is well over there

I agree from what I have seen so far.  Though one thing I saw today regarding pitchers and the anticipation attribute being set to 50, was that they will snag line drives hit back at the.  Though I saw the same animation for this twice in the same game.  I think I have a recording of the replay,  I'll see if I cant post it.  It didn't look natural at all, be interesting to see how lowering anticipation to 45 and increasing fielding ability might give a different result.  Will have some time Wednesday to test.