Community Standards and You

Kccitystar

Hey, KC here. Is this microphone on? 

There's something I'd like to make clear to everyone who visits MVPMods. I've said this in the past but I wanted to just update our existing stance as a part of this site's administrative staff (Admins and Moderators) on some things: 

We've always been a community founded and rooted in our love for baseball video games. Whether it's Hardball, High Heat, Triple Play or MVP Baseball, it doesn't matter. The site was built by baseball gamers for baseball gamers from all walks of life, and it is a community that's entirely non-profit. Our mission has always been to build a community that can provide mods – or patches, as they used to be called early in its conception – 100% free of charge. Even as we started to include other games outside of MVP Baseball, none of that's been behind any paywalls. Just register an account and you can get the content for free.

Of course, the site has been on the internet for a long time and a lot of us keep our finger on the pulse with other communities in the sports gamer space, so online content creation has evolved into a means for a lot of gamers to make a ton of money these days, and I understand that. Hardworking and creative people have been very successful with online content, so it's inevitable that modding will go through this too and people will try to cash in. For some time now, I've seen private communities and people within our community try to charge users money for their mods, which is probably the most anti-community thing you can do. Modding games have always been a grey area at best, and something that publishers like EA and 2K and others have looked the other way on but the decision to charge for mods rather than release them for free carries a major risk both for us and for you, the modder. 

I want to say that, for everyone who's taken the time to update a roster with new players, replaced an ad in a stadium, updated a jersey for a team, or who made a face for a rookie, or even a portrait that was missing for a player, take a step back and make sure that you are modding these games for the right reasons. While everyone deserves compensation for their labor, the legality in regards to selling that work is a different issue entirely. 

This is not a site that intentionally sells mods here or charges for work, period.
MVPMods is not a marketplace.
MVPMods is not a business.

We don't own the software or the games, we license the use of it. We don't own the rights to the likenesses of missing players that we make cyberfaces for and add to the game. We're modifying the game in a way that hasn't been approved by EA, Metalhead or MLB Advanced Media themselves using tools that people have put up on the internet for free while we use trademarks and likenesses without permission from the people who own those things. 

Charging for mods opens up a whole can of worms as far as rates, complaints, and settling disputes; it would be something we would be expected to mediate (and the expectation is that this mediation would be free of charge, of course).  Also, we would be breaking agreements with our hosting provider and could immediately have our site shut down.  All of these practices, stuff like having an ad link, making releases conditional through a paywall (like Patreon for example), etc. are either direct or indirect attempts to extort our community for personal gain. Do not upload your work here or our site/community as a platform to sell your work for money. As a part of the Admin team, we're not going to jeopardise our ability to keep doing what we’re doing by skirting trademark law through trying to monetize content that we don't own the rights to. Take that elsewhere.

Speaking as someone who's dabbled in a bit of everything with MVP and MLB 2K, I personally know how much time and effort modding takes. Life gets in the way and stuff comes up at the last minute. At the end of the day though, this has always been approached as a hobby for a lot of us who work on a game that we truly love to play and want to share that work with the world. At its heart, the hobby of modding MVP Baseball and the MLB 2K games is about making the games we love to play better, changing certain aspects and adding content to enhance the experience, or like the Total Conversion projects, create brand new experiences.  Generally speaking, it’s something that you do for your own benefit first – either from a gaming or artistic point of view – and it's up to you if you want to share with other gamers because you’d like them to experience your work, too. Depending on how altruistic you feel, or how much you enjoy modding, you can continue to create works for games that you personally don’t play anymore, for other gamers who still do.

Modders like myself and everyone with that label on our site and everyone who plays this game want the community to thrive. I'd like to think we all do, which is why we're all here.

See you around,
KC

With the permission of Kccitystar I am going to proceed to put the post that he put in Spanish. 

Con el permiso de Kccitystar voy a proceder a poner el post que ha puesto pero esta vez en Español.

Hola, KC aquí. ¿Este micrófono está encendido?

Hay algo que me gustaría aclarar a todos los que visiten MVPMods. He dicho esto en el pasado, pero solo quería actualizar nuestra postura existente como parte del personal administrativo de este sitio (Administradores y Moderadores) en algunas cosas:

Siempre hemos sido una comunidad fundada y dedicada en nuestro amor por los videojuegos de béisbol. Ya sea Hardball, High Heat, Triple Play o MVP Baseball, no importa. El sitio fue creado por jugadores de béisbol para jugadores de béisbol de todos los ámbitos de la vida, y es una comunidad sin fines de lucro. Nuestra misión siempre ha sido construir una comunidad que pueda proporcionar mods, o parches, como solían llamarse al principio de su concepción, 100% gratis. Incluso cuando comenzamos a incluir otros juegos fuera de MVP Baseball, nada de eso ha estado detrás de ningún muro de pago. Simplemente registre una cuenta y podrá obtener el contenido de forma gratuita.

Por supuesto, el sitio ha estado en Internet durante mucho tiempo y muchos de nosotros nos mantenemos al tanto con otras comunidades en el espacio de los jugadores deportivos, por lo que la creación de contenido en línea se ha convertido en un medio para que muchos jugadores hagan una tonelada de dinero en estos días, y lo entiendo. Las personas trabajadoras y creativas han tenido mucho éxito con el contenido en línea, por lo que es inevitable que la modificación también pase por esto y la gente intente sacar provecho. Desde hace algún tiempo, he visto comunidades privadas y personas dentro de nuestra comunidad tratando de cobrar a los usuarios. dinero para sus mods, que es probablemente lo más anticomunitario que puedes hacer. Los juegos de modificación siempre han sido un área gris en el mejor de los casos, y los editores como EA y 2K y otros han mirado hacia otro lado, pero la decisión de cobrar por las modificaciones en lugar de lanzarlas gratis conlleva un gran riesgo tanto para nosotros como para usted. , el modificador.

Quiero decir eso, para todos los que se tomaron el tiempo de actualizar una lista con nuevos jugadores, reemplazaron un anuncio en un estadio, actualizaron la camiseta de un equipo, o hicieron una cara para un novato, o incluso un retrato que faltaba. para un jugador, da un paso atrás y asegúrate de que estás modificando estos juegos por las razones correctas. Si bien todos merecen una compensación por su trabajo, la legalidad con respecto a la venta de ese trabajo es un tema completamente diferente.

Este no es un sitio que intencionalmente vende mods aquí o cobra por el trabajo, punto.
MVPMods no es un mercado.
MVPMods no es un negocio.

No somos dueños del software ni de los juegos, tenemos licencia para su uso. No somos dueños de los derechos de las imágenes de los jugadores desaparecidos para los que hacemos cyberfaces y agregamos al juego. Estamos modificando el juego de una manera que no ha sido aprobada por EA, Metalhead o MLB Advanced Media utilizando herramientas que las personas han puesto en Internet de forma gratuita mientras usamos marcas registradas y semejanzas sin el permiso de las personas que poseen esos. cosas.

Cobrar por mods abre una lata entera de gusanos en cuanto a tarifas, quejas y resolución de disputas; sería algo que se esperaría que mediáramos (y la expectativa es que esta mediación sería gratuita, por supuesto). Además, estaríamos rompiendo acuerdos con nuestro proveedor de alojamiento y podríamos cerrar nuestro sitio de inmediato. Todas estas prácticas, cosas como tener un enlace publicitario, hacer lanzamientos condicionales a través de un muro de pago (como Patreon, por ejemplo), etc. son intentos directos o indirectos de extorsionar a nuestra comunidad para beneficio personal. No suba su trabajo aquí o nuestro sitio/comunidad como una plataforma para vender su trabajo por dinero. Como parte del equipo de administración, no vamos a poner en peligro nuestra capacidad de seguir haciendo lo que estamos haciendo eludiendo la ley de marcas registradas tratando de monetizar contenido del que no poseemos los derechos. Llévate eso a otra parte.

Hablando como alguien que ha incursionado en un poco de todo con MVP y MLB 2K, personalmente sé cuánto tiempo y esfuerzo requiere modificar. La vida se interpone en el camino y las cosas surgen en el último minuto. Sin embargo, al final del día, esto siempre se ha abordado como un pasatiempo para muchos de nosotros que trabajamos en un juego que realmente nos encanta jugar y queremos compartir ese trabajo con el mundo. En esencia, el pasatiempo de modificar MVP Baseball y los juegos MLB 2K consiste en mejorar los juegos que amamos jugar, cambiar ciertos aspectos y agregar contenido para mejorar la experiencia o, como los proyectos de conversión total, crear experiencias completamente nuevas. En términos generales, es algo que haces primero para tu propio beneficio, ya sea desde un punto de vista artístico o de juego, y depende de ti si quieres compartirlo con otros jugadores porque te gustaría que ellos también experimentaran tu trabajo. Dependiendo de cuán altruista te sientas o de cuánto disfrutes modificando, puedes continuar creando obras para juegos que personalmente ya no juegas, para otros jugadores que aún lo hacen.

Los modders como yo y todos los que tienen esa etiqueta en nuestro sitio y todos los que juegan este juego queremos que la comunidad prospere. Me gustaría pensar que todos lo hacemos, por eso estamos todos aquí.

Ya nos veremos,

KC

1 hour ago, Muller_11 said:

With the permission of Kccitystar I am going to proceed to put the post that he put in Spanish. 

Con el permiso de Kccitystar voy a proceder a poner el post que ha puesto pero esta vez en Español.

Much appreciated.

I am hoping crossing the language barrier establishes the tone and culture of this community for these games for other regions who visit.

We don't do that kind of stuff here and we don't promote it.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Yankee4Life said:

Have you been there lately? They have stuff posted there that would never be uploaded here at any time. They used to be a very respectable place when HFLR ran it but since he has been gone it's not.

I have been on the site silently and I have seen posts where they dare to ask for money for Mods and especially those from MLB2K Games

What a shame....