Epic IV: 2008 Rosters for MVP 2005

SwinginSoriano

I'm looking forward to it. I like the ratings adjustments to pitchers. It seems like no matter how good or bad you rate pitchers in MVPEdit, in the game they're always shown as being better than position players, which is annoying and unrealistic.

I'm trying to finish my roster project ASAP so all I have to do for the 2007 season is make the ratings adjustments to fit the players in your roster. From what I've seen, the game rates players with good defensive abilities very high, so defensive ratings are very important to keep an eye on. You need any help, just let me know.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I plan to only leave defense ratings high for the very best, and just have 'above average' ratings for good to very good defenders. I used to be more generous because MVP 2004 barely accounted for defense. (On another note, MVP 2004 didn't rate pitchers ridiculously, and relievers were able to be rated fairly with just 38 stamina).

Oh well, I'll screw around. At least I have more knowledge on how to inflate and deflate ratings if need be. Pretty much like earlier this year, I plan to release a beta before the 1.0 version so I can re-adjust players more fairly after the overhaul. (Eg. Make sure Miguel Tejada is rated #1 on the Orioles, etc.)

Pretty much, expect something out by Spring Training. However, I usually finish these things much sooner, so, I'll update you all (like once every three weeks I bet) as work progresses on the roster. As it gets done, I'll have a better idea when the beta and finished version will come out.

Hopefully people still care about MVP baseball next year, there are going to be a ton of great rosters out. Hell, MVP 06 may be almost done by then. :p

• 2 months later...

2007 Roster Status:

11/27/06: New ratings completed for all thirty teams/ML free agents (excluding a few like Pedro Astacio, who did not get to yet.)

Coming up next:

- New ratings for minor league free agents

- 'Creating' (stealing KG's players) missing minor league players

- Putting together team rosters for playability

- Revamped lineups, rotations, etc.

Realistically, this thing can be done before New Years, but since not enough signings will be complete there is no rush IMHO. Expect an early January release like all those old EA rosters.

Other notes:

- The Majors are exclusive to KG's roster overhaul for use with a Total Minors roster.

- Modifications for other ML-only rosters are permissible as usual.

- If you want a look at the alpha, PM. I'll more easily take your suggestions when I'm in the middle of making this thing. Remember to make more specific suggestions. Just saying 'Chipper Jones sucks too much' or 'Bengie Molina needs to be better' isn't really going to convince me to take a second look.

Just telling you all work is getting done.

Well I just came across a new stat (to myself at least) which I thought may help. Then I looked into it and the stat may not be as helpful for your purposes as I originally thought when I posted.

You may have heard of it, it's called FRAR and you can find it as baseball prospectus. They define it as:

Fielding Runs Above Replacement. The difference between an average player and a replacement player is determined by the number of plays that position is called on to make. That makes the value at each position variable over time.

Hope it helps, here's a link to Mike Cameron's page on baseball prospectus for an example.

Well, it's a little too late to look over every player on baseball prospecticus. :lol: Of course if there are some glaring mistakes, you can tell me and I'll adjust them. That and I have to be a subscriber to look at the rest of them. :(

Anyway, the 12/2/06 Progress report is that I finished re-rating all the free agents. All that remains are:

- Additional 40 man roster minor league players (via KG's roster and re-rated)

- lineups

- rotations

- filling out roster

- deleting extra free agents

Pretty much it could technically be done very soon, but since I'd prefer to play it for myself when more free agents have signed, a beta will be put on hold until that point. Possibly a beta will be out before new years, but if there are too little invitations made for Spring Training it may be needless to push it out too soon.

Too have a look at the alpha file (all players re-rated), just give me a pm and your email address within it.

All players may be done by Tomorrow, if not, by Friday. Possibly a beta may be up pretty soon. (I'll upload it publicly). But it won't be nearly a done version, due to more transactions being necessary to make lineups worth having. From this point until Spring Training, I will be releasing beta versions of the roster. It'll probably go like this though it can change rather quickly:

Next week or before Christmas: Beta 0.5

- Working version, but incomplete

Mid-January: Beta 0.9

- Completed lineups and rotations, ratings finalized

Before ST: Beta 0.99

- Updated transactions, more of the same

All the players to be included in the roster are done. (Matsuzaka, Igawa, and other possible future signings will be included when they get their contracts).

I'll put together a working beta and release the file in this thread. It'll be a good time to nit-pick ratings while I'm in double-check mode! (E.g. Making sure Chipper Jones is one of the highest rated players on the Braves.)

Well, it's DONE. A really crappy beta of course, but it's technically playable. It's out so you guys can criticize me while I fix up the ratings a bit.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with how the ratings came out. Relievers gained status, starters lost status, so now bullpens will remain more stable around the majors. That's a big plus. Also, my simulation had lesser stats, though to Kraw's displeasure Adam Dunn bat .310 and won the MVP.

Anyway, there are still some crappy ratings (like Ryan Freel being rated better than Junior, obviously that's getting fixed) by the overalls are very accurate in my opinion.

This file is a standard version, I'll see if I can get a plus up. The free agent pool is pretty much gutted, so nothing there is final until more guys get invites.

Anyway, fun facts about the roster:

- Albert Pujols is rated #1 in all of MLB

- Johan Santana is rated #2

- Travis Hanfer is rated greater than David Ortiz

- Manny Ramirez is rated greater than Travis Hafner

- Joe Nathan is rated higher than Mariano Rivera (that'll be fixed)

- Soriano bat .230 in the simulation, Y4Ls everywhere rejoiced.

- The Reds and Yanks had a seven game World Series, the Yankees won.

- The roster did not crash during my second simulation, during my first it crashed in mid-April. Too lazy to do more simulations, possibly an un-related problem but who the hell knows. Knowing my dick roster it isn't.

This is meant to be a single-season MLB roster, when KG gets my players (he can now 'steal' their ratings from the DAT file) I'd presume there will be changes. (That to his liking, and to increase star ratings of prospects if he decides to use my modified versions.)

Enough bullcrap, here's the file. Can't wait to see your comments, complaints, and complaints.

Archived