Trick question....you can fool your teammates on this one!

Gordo

The question is: what is the maximum # of pitches, not counting foul balls past 2 strikes, that a pitcher can throw to this particular batter before he ever sees a different batter come to the plate?

Here's the situation: The batter in question starts out his AB with a man on first and 2 outs.

The answer: 11 pitches.

How? The count goes to 3 & 2 (five pitches)....remember no counting foul balls after this point...... pitcher picks off the runner at 1st; same batter comes up again next inning and faces another full count (five pitches), then the payoff pitch.

That was pritty stupid, you want a good one?

Three traveling salesman go to a hotel to get a room. The man behind the counter tells the men that there's only a onr bed room left, so they decide to split the room between the three of them. They each pay $10. Later, the man fells sorry for the salesmen, and sends a bellboy to their room to give them $5 back. On his way to the room, the bellboy wondrs how they'll split $5 between the three of them, so he switches the $5 with three $1's. Ok, Here's the question....

After they each get a dollar back, they actually paid $9 each for the room. And the Bellboy pocketed the other $2 from the $5.

3 times 9=27

27+2=29

Where did the other dollar go?

ANSWER:

Well, there isn't one, its the way that I said the problem. If you use addition/Subtraction, you'll get it. But as soon as multiplication comes in, it gets screwed up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

ok for a baseball question:

the yankees were playing a game (omg right?) and there was a batter up (omg). how did a fielder get charged with an error without an actual at bat being charged to the hitter?

Striking out and having the third strike get passed the catcher for a passed ball?

that's the first thing i thought of - but it wouldn't work because passed balls aren't counted as errors...and the strikeout would also give the batter an official at bat...

there would have to be someone on base for a fielder to get an error on the play without the batter being charged with an at bat...unless something like what happened at an A's (maybe Angels...can't remember exactly what team it was) game last year - the one where the catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher and the pitcher missed it allowing the winning run to come home. (i believe it was the Angels now - K-Rod dropped it right?)

so i guess my final answer would be either an error on a pickoff attempt or the situation i mentioned above. or the batter lays down a sacrifice bunt but reaches base on a throwing error - the fielder would get an error but there would be no official at bat since it is scored as a sacrifice with the batter reaching safely on an error.

ok, i'm done now :D

how about this? Runner on first. The batter takes ball four, which goes way outside on a wild pitch, and he hustles down to first, makes a big turn, and the catcher tries to throw behind him, and throws it to the outfield. That's an error on the catcher and the batter never was charged for an AB

That was pritty stupid, you want a good one?

Three traveling salesman go to a hotel to get a room. The man behind the counter tells the men that there's only a onr bed room left, so they decide to split the room between the three of them. They each pay $10. Later, the man fells sorry for the salesmen, and sends a bellboy to their room to give them $5 back. On his way to the room, the bellboy wondrs how they'll split $5 between the three of them, so he switches the $5 with three $1's. Ok, Here's the question....

After they each get a dollar back, they actually paid $9 each for the room. And the Bellboy pocketed the other $2 from the $5.

3 times 9=27

27+2=29

Where did the other dollar go?

ANSWER:

Well, there isn't one, its the way that I said the problem. If you use addition/Subtraction, you'll get it. But as soon as multiplication comes in, it gets screwed up.

why would u go 27+2? The bellboy gave them back 3 dollars.

so i guess my final answer would be either an error on a pickoff attempt or the situation i mentioned above. or the batter lays down a sacrifice bunt but reaches base on a throwing error - the fielder would get an error but there would be no official at bat since it is scored as a sacrifice with the batter reaching safely on an error.

ok, i'm done now :D

Study baseball rules. If player execute sacrifice, but reach first base on error his charged with one AB and fielder charged with error. You wrong, my friend.

Study baseball rules. If player execute sacrifice, but reach first base on error his charged with one AB and fielder charged with error. You wrong, my friend.

well, my friend, it seems you should study the rules. break out your official baseball rulebook and read along with me (official rule in bold):

10.09(a) Score a sacrifice bunt when, before two are out, the batter advances one or more runners with a bunt and is put out at first base, or would have been put out except for a fielding error. Granted the scorer judges that a batter is attempting a sacrifice, he will get credit for that sacrifice but reaches base on the fielding error. All earned runs are then figured as normal.

the sacrifice bunt with an error situation just happened tonight during the Giants game:

Lowry laid down a sacrifice and Oswalt fielded it...he then threw it over Ensberg's head at 3rd allowing Niekro (who was on second) to score and Lowry to reach first on the error. Lowry struck out in his second at bat and walked in his third - his final line was 0-1.

PS...the Giants finally won a game again - despite trying to give it away in the ninth...

• 1 month later...

It doesn't matter how many people are in the race.

Let me put it in simpler terms, There are five people in a race. I am in second, and you are in third. If you pass me, what place are you in?

I'm in second.

I'm sure the point of that one is to get people to say "first"... but those would be STUPID people. lol. :D

lol. It's one of those jokes where you say it out loud. IT's a give away if you put it on paper. Tell it to one of your friends. Somone will eventually say first.

Archived