Stadium Design Contest

NYM

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this drug out so long, I just re-read this entire thread from page 1 to page 31.

I count 5 entries that have posts in this thread that reached levels that I personally feel are worthy of judging: Midaz, mrmet, hiheat, abc, and wrigleyville.

I would include flim_flam, but he only ever posted once.

Since the thing took so long, several entrants may not be around to submit anything NEW now.... but all the work that went on should be considered.

I am NOT a judge - but if I was - I would have to put strong support to Midaz's work.

I’m impressed by the amount of work that was put into this contest. It’s a shame that the contest died off.

I started a stadium entry, but the time constraints killed it off so I can truly appreciate what went into these pieces.

With that being said I will be critical of what was presented and I will only judge the two entries submitted. Both were missing vital information.

My biggest complaint is that nothing is explained. I don’t know why there are arches in ABC006’s stadium. I don’t know the purpose of the pool in HiHeat’s.

I’ll list what I like and what I don’t.

First ABC006

DISLIKES:

There is too much brick.

I don’t understand why there is a clock tower. What role does it play?

The double decker bullpens don’t fly. There is no reason to have them on top of one another. How does a player go from the top deck to the field?

The scoreboard on centerfield wall would be far too distracting.

The use of glass is interesting, but it’s not inviting and the glare could be devastating. Not to mention the cost of keeping it clean.

The arches just look like a rip-off of the LA Coliseum.

Four entrances are just not enough.

Zagat doesn’t just rate a restaurant 5 stars, it has to earn it over years of service.

Brick walls in the outfield just won’t work. They only work in Wrigley because of the ivy and the padding in the corners.

I like the monorail. I am for light rail in some cities and public transportation around a stadium is a good thing.

The dimensions aren’t all over the place. I don’t know what they are exactly, but there are no nooks and crannies.

I like the idea of only having two decks, but I wonder how you seat 40,000 in two decks and don’t have ridiculous views from a far.

HiHeat:

DISLIKES:

I hate the pool. It was a stupid idea in Phoenix and it is in Dallas. What is the purpose?

The office building looks like it was built in 1950. It serves no purpose. It takes up room that could be better used to sell tickets. Good seats too.

I love the fact that the upper deck does not hang over the lower deck at all, except that we are in Dallas. It’s going to get hot down there and people will complain.

Too much brick used.

Why is the wall in left taller?

How many stadiums have restaurants in center field and does anyone eat there. Too many and no.

Who would want a dented car? Silly idea, good for a jalopy at a minor league park.

Dimensions are clean and simple.

I like the walkway above the one bullpen, but would want some sort of symmetry with the other.

Love that it is open to the outside and toward the city.

In the end this wasn't really a contest. So I won't pick a winner, both did an amazing amount of work, but this isn't about the artistic abilities of one person compared to the other it's about concepts and reasoning.

There is no reasoning for any of the features in either stadium. Most are there just to be there and I hate that. Neither stadium reflects the area that it is built. Nothing says NY or Dallas. There was a lot of work that went into these and I do not discredit that, but very little thought was used.

Zagat doesn’t just rate a restaurant 5 stars, it has to earn it over years of service.
Talk about picky, I wasn't going to research the exact requirements for a Zagat rated restaurant for one sentence in that thing. It was just meaning to say that it has a nice restaraunt. :roll:

Also, the stadium wasn't specifically meant ever to be in New York, I just chose a city only once, about 3/4 of the way through, other people started picking a city for it. I added the Ebbets-style windows later since I did want a little bit of recognizable New York, but it never was really intended for it to be in New York. Anyway, thanks for judging.

They don't event rate based on stars. Restaurants are graded and given a numeric grade. There is picky for you.

As for it not being intended for NY then where is it intended for? There has to be some inspiration. For this prject there was none.

Okay now, let's not get too animated here.

I know it's hard to listen to criticism whenever someone is "judging" a piece of work that someone has worked hard on...

...but remember - you signed up to be JUDGED.

Pirate certainly isn't trying to be mean - so just in case feelings are being bruised here, remember: No hard feelings.

It's just an honest examination of the (obviously fantastic) work you've done.

How do you know there was no inspiration? It was greatly inspired by Ebbets Field and Shibe Park, particularly Shibe on the dimensions and Ebbets more for the exterior.

So you just basically copied other parks?

Is that inspiration or just copying someone else's work?

Just curious. Remember, you asked to be judged.

...and please abc006, you have been quite testy lately, people have noticed.

thanks pirate. 'preciate the time you took to judge mine and abc's. well i guess if we ever have this contest again, i will be already done. its too bad this thread died, designing stadiums and seeing everyone else's stadiums is very interesting to me.

heres the link to my park if anyone didnt see it:

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee115/h...Dallas%20Field/

So you just basically copied other parks?

Is that inspiration or just copying someone else's work?

Just curious. Remember, you asked to be judged.

...and please abc006, you have been quite testy lately, people have noticed.

No offense DJ, but... I haven't noticed getting in really any arguments aside from that one time a few weeks ago, but other than that I've been on good terms. I thank Pirate for judging me, I am perfectly aware that he's offering good advice, obviously I want him to be critical of it so I can get better. I don't want ego stroking or something, I DO want suggestions, so I'm not sure why you think I wouldn't. Most of it was good advice, but I was explaining some things he said he wasn't sure about. I don't want to sound like I'm pointing fingers, but I think Pirate just thought I sounded a bit more annoyed than I was in my first response post, I think he just misunderstood that, that's all. Wasn't trying to dictate what he thought or anything.

DJ, where is the line drawn from inspiration to copying someone else's work? Obviously I've incorporated some of the architectural elements of those great old ballparks into my work, as much as any other modern stadium you see... how is that copying as opposed to inspired or vice versa? If I said I didn't use any thing from previous ballparks, then would I be accused of having no inspiration? And if I use some elements of them, would I be accused of just copying the other ballparks? See what I mean? I don't know myself how to get the right balance, or if it's even possible.

Inspiration doesn't come from something that has been done, it comes from believing something should be done.
Then how do you know I wasn't inspired to make my stadium? This isn't a knock on your judging abilities, just the simple fact that nobody can read my mind.

I would expect you to explain why things were the way they were. You didn't all you did was write a PR piece about how majestic the clock tower was. Like I said in the review, tell me wha the purpose and inspiration of a clock tower is at a stadium. You gave me none of that.

There is no reasoning for any of the features in either stadium. Most are there just to be there and I hate that. Neither stadium reflects the area that it is built. Nothing says NY or Dallas. There was a lot of work that went into these and I do not discredit that, but very little thought was used.

sorry, im a little late at posting this, but this is a good point pirate. i was thinking of giving it a southern theme and a retractable roof, but there would be too many textures to import and my program wouldnt allow me to make a roof that big (since after all, it was a house designing program), so i chose the lazy way out by using default textures and not including a roof. anyways, just lettin ya know that some of the problems you mentioned about abc's and my park were not because of lack of thought, but were because lack of ability using cad programs. im sure you encounter the similar problems with the mvp 05 stadiums, as in you cant do all what you want to do with them.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to judge and i hope we see sean o on this thread.

I wanted to create a stadium with the tier structure similar to old early-20th century ballparks, such as ebbets, shibe, and tiger stadium with a more modern look outside and in the outfield. I wish I could have been able to connect the tiers in the infield and the ones in the outfield at equal length, but as hiheat said, unfortunately it takes a lot of work and sometimes is nearly impossible when you're working with a program like that - it's not a drawing you can just erase or a model you can simply add on to.

Still, thanks for judging anyway Pirate, you gave some good insight. :) I hope Sean O posts here soon with his stuff, it'll be interesting to see what he thinks.

• 1 month later...

Archived