• Colorado Rockies
    • Pittsburgh Pirates
    • Chicago Cubs
    • Houston Astros
    • Atlanta Braves
    • Florida Marlins
    • New York Mets
    • Other

Its sad to see Lowry being dealt - he is one of my favorite players (if not the favorite) on the Giants roster. But I like the way you thought about that deal and didn't succumb to one of those trades that the computer accepts even though there is no chance of a deal like that (Sanchez, Klesko for Wood) happening in real life. Looking forward for more updates. Take care.

Other than Cain, who's by far my favorite player since Barry joined the Giants in 1993 (with honorable mention to J.T. Snow and Lincecum), Lowry is a guy that I hoped could be a part of the Giants for a long time.

However, I don't see any way Sabean can hold on to him if he can be packaged with a deal that could bring in an impact offensive player this offseason. You can never have too much pitching - until a couple of pieces of that pitching staff can kickstart your franchise, without hurting it's ability to maintain it's effectiveness as a pitching staff.

In short, thanks for the comment :D

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Faces in New Places - AL Central

Chicago White Sox

None

Cleveland Indians

Scott Elarton, Pitcher

Cliff Politte, Pitcher

Pokey Reese, Infield

Detroit Tigers

Luis Castillo, Second Base

Dennis Tankersley, Pitcher

Ryan Vogelsong, Pitcher

Jaret Wright, Pitcher

Kansas City

Ben Broussard, First Base

Runelvys Hernandez, Pitcher

Javy Lopez, Catcher

Russ Ortiz, Pitcher

Willy Taveras, Center Field

Claudio Vargas, Pitcher

Minnesota Twins

Bobby Abreu, Right Field

Jerome Williams, Pitcher

New Faces in New Places - AL East

Baltimore Orioles

None

Boston Red Sox

Royce Clayton, Infield

Junior Spivey, Infield

New York Yankees

Taylor Buchholz, Pitcher

Jose Cruz, Jr., Outfield

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Julian Tavarez, Pitcher

Toronto Blue Jays

Luis Gonzalez, Left Field

Cesar Izturis, Shortstop

Mike Lieberthal, Catcher

Wade Miller, Pitcher

Joel Pineiro, Pitcher

Todd Walker, Infield

New Faces in New Places - NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

D.J. Carrasco, Pitcher

Darin Erstad, Outfield

Freddy Garcia, Pitcher

Jamey Wright, Pitcher

Colorado Rockies

Edgardo Alfonzo, Infield

Pedro Astacio, Pitcher

Emil Brown, Outfield

Erubiel Durazo, First Base

Matt Lawton, Outfield

Los Angeles Dodgers

Choo Freeman, Outfield

Mike Lamb, Utility

Trot Nixon, Outfield

San Diego Padres

Rick Ankiel, Outfield

Rod Barajas, Catcher

Travis Blackley, Pitcher

Richard Hidalgo, Outfield

Andy Phillips, Infield

Ty Wigginton, Utility

New Faces in New Places - NL Central

Chicago Cubs

Endy Chavez, Outfield

Sidney Ponson, Pitcher

Tike Redman, Outfield

Cincinnati Reds

Geoff Jenkins, Outfield

Mark Loretta, Second Base

Jason Simontacchi, Pitcher

Houston Astros

Sean Burroughs, Third Base

Chan Ho Park, Pitcher

Wilfredo Ledezma, Pitcher

Lance Niekro, First Base

Mark Redman, Pitcher

Milwaukee Brewers

R.A Dickey, Pitcher

Josh Fogg, Pitcher

Reed Johnson, Outfield

Tomo Ohka, Pitcher

Marco Scutaro, Utility

Pittsburgh Pirates

Carl Everett, Outfield

Pedro Feliz, Utility

Nate Robertson, Pitcher

St. Louis Cardinals

Josh Bard, Catcher

Tony Graffanino, Infield

Scott Hairston, Outfield

Corey Koskie, Third Base

Laynce Nix, Outfield

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

February 1, 2008

Sabean Confirms That Giants Standing Pat

SAN FRANCISCO - With free agency all but over (minus one certain 43-year old home run king), Brian

Sabean and the Giants confirmed today that they had no intentions of making a splash with a big free-

agency signing.

Rumors surfaced last month that the Giants were considering contract proposals to Mike Lowell, Torii

Hunter, Andruw Jones and Aaron Rowand; but all four players were signed by other teams in the past

couple of weeks.

"From our standpoint," said Sabean, "it didn't make sense to spend the money the free agent pool

was dictating. We have to find out what we have in house with guys like (Kevin) Frandsen, (Dan)

Ort(meier), Freddie (Fred Lewis); pushing their development back yet again would hinder our re-

building process."

The Giants did sign some minor league free agents, but will enter 2008 with many questions on the

offensive side of the field.

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

February 3, 2008

Giants Deal Durham, Roberts as Season Nears

SAN FRANCISCO - With report dates for spring training about two weeks away, the San Francisco Giants

unloaded two contracts by announcing the trades of Ray Durham and Dave Roberts late last night.

Durham, 36, was sent to the Astros in exchange for minor league pitcher Sean Walker, 25.

Durham had a stellar year last season, hitting .328 with 27 home runs and 104 RBI, all career highs.

It was the first season that Durham hit over .300 in his career and the first time he drove in more than

100 runs. It was his third career 20+ homer season - his second consecutive. He finished sixth in the

MVP voting.

Walker spent the season with Class-A Salem, going 19-6 with a 2.59 ERA in 187.1 innings. The right-

hander struck out 153 and walked just 52.

Roberts, 35, was traded to Baltimore in exhange for rookie outfielder John-Ford Lo Duca, 19.

Roberts hit .292 with eight home runs and 50 RBI for San Francisco in 2007. He finished the season

with 47 stolen bases.

Lo Duca was drafted out of high school by the Orioles in the ninth round of the 2007 amateur draft.

The Giants hope he will grow into his 6'7" frame in the coming years as the right-handed throwing,

left-handed hitting teenager weighs in at just 220 pounds right now. He has a plus-arm and speed,

but takes poor routes to fly balls. Lo Duca shows good disclipline at the plate though and makes

good contact. He projects to about 20-30 home runs a year at his peak.

Houston will take on all of Durham's salary while the Giants will pay three of the $5 million Roberts

is owed.

Those are some pretty bad returns for Roberts and Durham. At least you got rid of the contracts.

Yeah, I took the same apporach as the Wood trade. I hate how easy it is to get the computer to accept some things.

However, no one wanted Roberts. It was pretty sad. So I used the Editor to lower his contract to $2 mil and the Orioles finally bit.

Like you said though, at least the contracts are gone.

Wood is hardly untouchable considering his struggles to hit for average over the past few years and the fact that he finally moved off of shortstop. It's true that they have a bit of a surplus of pitching, but certainly not of lefties, and finally, Klesko is a far better player than Quinlan.

Dude, the point is not what you or I think Wood's value is. The point is that Bill Stoneman has "officially" marked Wood as a major untouchable in the organization. The talks for Mark Texiera collapsed near the deadline almost explicitly because Texas wanted Wood and Stoneman wouldn't give him up. Stoneman has also said repeatedly that he thinks his organization is very deep on pitching and he's not looking to add more--unless he happens to see a good piece on the free agent market (such as Justin Speier last winter). Otherwise, if he makes any trade he's looking either for long-term pitching prospects (i.e., Jeff Kennard) or immediate power bats.

Anyway, I really don't want to knock the trade and I don't want to distract from Sfgiants dynasty, which looks to be shaping up really well so far.

Good luck!

Dude, the point is not what you or I think Wood's value is. The point is that Bill Stoneman has "officially" marked Wood as a major untouchable in the organization. The talks for Mark Texiera collapsed near the deadline almost explicitly because Texas wanted Wood and Stoneman wouldn't give him up. Stoneman has also said repeatedly that he thinks his organization is very deep on pitching and he's not looking to add more--unless he happens to see a good piece on the free agent market (such as Justin Speier last winter). Otherwise, if he makes any trade he's looking either for long-term pitching prospects (i.e., Jeff Kennard) or immediate power bats.

Anyway, I really don't want to knock the trade and I don't want to distract from Sfgiants dynasty, which looks to be shaping up really well so far.

Good luck!

Glad to see you're enjoying it so far - can't wait to see where this leads :D

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

February 8, 2008

Cure for the Curse: Shot of Bonds?

CHICAGO - After months of speculation that began in September last season, the question has been

answered as to where, if anywhere, Barry Bonds would play in 2008...

bondsbarrydz8.jpg

The Cubs and general manager Jim Hendry announced early this morning that they had reached an

agreement with the 43-year old slugger, making Bonds a Cub for one year.

The deal guarantees the home run king $10 million, with numerous incentives that would push that

total as high as $16 million.

"We made the playoffs last season," said Hendry, "but we fell short. One of our weaknesses is our

lack of a left-handed power bat to hit in between Aramis (Ramirez) and Derrek (Lee). With Felix (Pie)

and Matt (Murton) and Craig (Monroe), we'll be able to give Barry time to rest and hopefully bring

home that elusive championship."

Before the addition of Bonds, Chicago's biggest offensive threats from the left-hand side of the plate

were Jacque Jones, Pie and free-agent addition Endy Chavez. Now, with Bonds, the Cubs have the

potential to post four 30+ home run hitters in one lineup.

Archived