• Houston Astros
    • Atlanta Braves
    • Florida Marlins
    • New York Mets
    • Other

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I post the playoff results, I thought I would note that the Giants organization had three major injuries in 2007:

Two in the majors:

Matt Cain missed 51 days with a torn knee meniscus.

Dan Ortmeier missed 45 days with a fractured leg.

...and one in the minors:

Carlos Sosa missed 40 days with a fractured leg.

All three returned before the season ended with no ill effects. They should be 100% for the 2008 season.

Johan Santana Wins Third Cy Young Award

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - For the third time in his eight-year career, Johan Santana has been recognized

as the top pitcher in the American League after winning his third Cy Young Award.

The left-handed hurler went 21-6 with a 2.73 ERA in a career-high 240.2 innings pitched this season.

Santana also set career highs in wins and complete games (five) this season.

Santana becomes only the ninth pitcher to ever win more than two Cy Young Awards, joining Sandy

Koufax, Pedro Martinez, Jim Palmer and Tom Seaver with three. Roger Clemens leads all pitchers with

seven.

2007alcyfinaloh1.jpg

Ramirez Tabbed as AL MVP

BOSTON - As always, Manny was just being Manny in 2007; and this time it earned him the 2007

American League MVP Award.

Ramirez hit .314 for the World Champion Boston Red Sox while slugging a team-high 38 home runs

and driving in 127. The right-hander posted a career high 50 doubles.

Ramirez has finished in the top 10 in MVP voting eight times, all coming in succession from 1998 - 2005.

He finished 18th last season, snapping the streak. He has finished third twice, the closest he has come

to winning the award prior to this season.

2007almvpfinalml6.jpg

Oswalt Takes Home NL Cy Young Award

HOUSTON, Tex. - After finishing in the top five in the Cy Young race in five of his six seasons, including

his rookie year in 2001, Roy Oswalt finally took home the award as he edged out the Padres Jake Peavy.

Oswalt went 20-4 with a 2.35 ERA this season, matching his career high for wins while besting his

career-best ERA by almost half a run (2.73 in 2001). His 248.2 innings and 211 strikeouts were also

career bests.

2007nlcyfinaluz9.jpg

Three Giants Sneak into Top 10 of MVP Voting

SAN FRANCISCO - In a stunning development, three San Francisco Giants players appeared in the

final voting for the National League MVP Award. San Francisco finished the season 82-80, five games

behind the Dodgers and Padres for first place in the NL West.

Carlos Beltran took home the award, posting a .293 average while slugging 32 home runs and driv-

ing in 97. Beltran finished fourth in last years voting.

Slugger Barry Bonds finished second in the voting in his last season with the Giants. Bonds passed

Hank Aaron earlier this season to become the new all-time home run king, finishing the season with

38 homers to push his career mark to 772. He posted a .330 average while driving in 129. It was the

first season that he failed to steal a base, minus 2005 in which he played just 14 games.

Bonds collected 193 hits this season and passed the 3,000 hit mark early in September. He now sits

at 3,034. Many thought that he would play in 2008 if he was short of that mark, but no announcement

has been made by Bonds in regards to his plans for next season.

The big surprise in the voting, however, came as Omar Vizquel and Ray Durham finished third and

sixth respectively in the voting.

Vizquel finished in a tie with Derrek Lee for third, posting a .307 average while setting new career-

highs in home runs (17) and RBI (92). It was only the second time the veteran shortstop hit above

.300 in his career, the other coming in 1999 when he hit .333. He finished 16th in the MVP voting that

season.

Durham hit .328 with 27 home runs and 104 RBI, all career highs. It was the first season that Durham

hit over .300 in his career and the first time he drove in more than 100 runs. It was his third career

20+ homer season - his second consecutive.

2007nlmvpfinalstandingsgh2.jpg

Glad to see that you're back in action sf. It's sure to be a quality dynasty. It will be interesting to see how the rebuilding process goes, and it looks like the real Giants are making the first small steps towards this themselves.

Good Luck!

Thanks - hope you enjoy it!

(congrats to your team on winning '07) :D

I wonder if this is a sign of something happening in real life. :wink:

Definitely like the idea of a re-building process. You had mentioned a multi-season dynasty - are you planning on playing/updating every game or just a few - for example one game a series or something similar? In any case I will just sit back and enjoy this one. Take care.

Glad to see that you're back in action sf. It's sure to be a quality dynasty. It will be interesting to see how the rebuilding process goes, and it looks like the real Giants are making the first small steps towards this themselves.

Good Luck!

Thanks - hope you enjoy it! :D

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm willing to give Sabean one more offseason to prove he's serious about starting over. Stay away from the Jones, Hunters, etc. and give 2008 to the kids - Schierholtz, Lewis, Frandsen, Davis, etc. A trade for an impact bat is a probable and needed route to take - but it's going to be tough.

He had a hand in drafting the core of current Yankee staples - Jeter, Posada and the like. So maybe there's that GM style still left somewhere in him.

I wonder if this is a sign of something happening in real life. :wink:

Definitely like the idea of a re-building process. You had mentioned a multi-season dynasty - are you planning on playing/updating every game or just a few - for example one game a series or something similar? In any case I will just sit back and enjoy this one. Take care.

With my old D-Rays dynasty, the format of playing the first game of the series and simming the other two or three seemed to work well. I was also tossing around the idea of playing Opening Day then simulating and doing week recaps for the first month or two before doing the aforementioned process starting around June.

All up in the air right now. First things first - the offseason is underway :D

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

November 1, 2007

Alfonzo Shocks Giants, Announces Retirement

SAN FRANCISCO - Eliezer Alfonzo, 28, announced his retirement from Major League Baseball today,

citing personal reasons. Alfonzo joined the Giants as a free agent on December 16, 2004, after being

released by the Marlins on October 15, 2004. Prior to joining the Marlins, Alfonzo played for the St. Paul

Saints in the independent Northern League.

Alfonzo was originally signed by the St. Louis Cardinals as an undrafted free agent on July 13, 1996.

He was later traded, along with RHP Matt Parker, to the Brewers on June 13, 2000, to complete an

earlier trade in which the Cardinals traded RHP Juan Acevedo and two players to be named to the

Milwaukee Brewers for 2B Fernando Vina.

He made his major league debut with the Giants on June 3, 2006, against the New York Mets at Shea

Stadium. After grounding out and striking out in his first two at-bats versus Orlando Hernandez,

Alfonzo hit a two-run home run in his next time up for his first major league hit. He went on to hit

.266 with 12 home runs and 39 RBI in 87 games that season.

In 2007, Alfonzo hit .298 with six home runs and 19 RBI in 50 games. He finishes his career with a

.274 average.

Alfonzo was second on the depth chart behind starting catcher Bengie Molina. Giants officials were not

available for comment.

Good luck with this dynasty man, it looks really good. And Jeez Alfonzo was looking good...that's too bad, I think (at least from his stats) that he would be a great 2nd string catcher.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed that Alfonzo retired. IMO, he's a solid #2 catcher - he did a good job of coming in for Matheny last season.

With regards to my dynasty, I'm going to go with Guillermo Rodriguez as Molina's back-up. Hopefully I can find someone, either in the upcoming draft or in free agency, that I can develop for the future.

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

November 1, 2007

Bonds Set to Return for 23rd Season

SAN FRANCISCO - Barry Bonds annouced earlier today that he plans to return for his 23rd season in

2008, citing his desire to win his first World Series Championship as motivation.

The left-handed slugger finished second in the MVP voting in 2007 after hitting .330 while blasting 38

home runs and driving in 129. He surpassed Hank Aaron on the all-time home run list and now sits at

772. He collected 193 hits in 2007, passing the 3,000 hit mark in early September before ending the

season with 3,034 for his career. His career RBI mark sits at 2,059.

With all those milestones surpassed, there was some doubt as to whether Bonds would return after

the Giants announced in September that they would not resign him.

"I've had a great career," said Bonds in an interview with KNBR yesterday. "The one thing I've always

wanted though is that ring. Coming so close in 2002 just got me wanting it that much more. So I'm

going to go for it."

There was some debate last season whether any teams other than the Giants offered him a contract,

with a few sources pointing towards the Rangers as one team that showed interest. But with the

home run chase over and the media circus that follows the 43-year old around dying down, there could

be a fit for a team that's one bat away from seriously contending for the crown.

Retiring Players

SP Anderson, Brian

2B Biggio, Craig

SP Carlyle, Buddy

SP Clemens, Roger

1B Conine, Jeff

RP Donnelly, Brendan

RP Farnsworth, Kyle

1B Franco, Julio

SP Glavine, Tom

1B Gload, Ross

RP Hernandez, Roberto