• New York Mets
    • Other

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

November 15, 2007

Feliz, Niekro Among Departing Giants

SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Giants announced today that they will not negotiate with Pedro

Feliz and Lance Niekro this offseason, effectively ending the chance that they would return to the

Giants for the 2008 season.

"We wish both Pedro and Lance the best of luck," said general manager Brian Sabean. "As we turn

our focus to rebuilding, we have to evaluate the talent we have. They just don't fit into our plan at

this time."

Feliz continued his struggles with his batting average, hitting just .240 - the third straight season he's

hit under .250. His home runs totals also dropped, slugging just 16 on the season. It was his lowest

total since he posted 16 in 235 at bats in 2003. He had 580 at bats this season.

Niekro played in 23 games for Fresno this season, hitting just .159 with two home runs before being

sent down to Double-A Connecticut. In 184 games at the major league level for San Francisco in his

career, he has hit just .249 with 17 home runs in 482 at bats.

Other players the Giants will not be re-signing in 2008:

RP Atchinson, Scott

SP Blackley, Travis

LF Bonds, Barry

3B Feliz, Pedro

SS Figueroa, Luis

RP Giese, Dan

1B McClain, Scott

1B Niekro, Lance

SP Ortiz, Russ

1B Von Schnell, Tyler

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

November 26, 2007

Vizquel Re-Ups for One More Year

SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Giants announced early this afternoon that Omar Vizquel has been

resigned to a one-year deal worth $3.5 million.

Vizquel finished in a tie with Derrek Lee for third in this season's MVP voting, posting a .307 average

while setting new career-highs in home runs (17) and RBI (92). It was only the second time the veteran

shortstop hit above .300 in his career, the other coming in 1999 when he hit .333. He finished 16th in

the MVP voting that season.

"I had a lot of fun last season," said Vizquel at today's press conference. "I look forward to taking part

in this rebuild. Hopefully I can teach guys like Kevin (Frandsen) what I've learned in my career. I'm just

not quite ready to quit playing yet; it doesn't get any better than this."

The Giants also resigned the following players to their major league roster:

RP - Chulk, Vinnie - 3/800

CF - Davis, Rajah - 3/500

RP - Messenger, Randy - 3/800

SP - Misch, Pat - 3/1.9M

1B - Ortmeier, Dan 3/100

C - Rodriguez, Guillermo - 4/100

RP - Taschner, Jack - 4/700

RP - Walker, Tyler - 2/1.1M

Along with those signings, the Giants resigned the following players to minor league deals:

SP - Foppert, Jesse - 3/1.2M

C - Knoedler, Justin - 3/200

3B - Leone, Justin - 4/300

1B - Martinez-Esteve, Eddy - 3/200

2B - McMains, Derin - 4/100

SS - Ochoa, Ivan - 3/100

RP - Threets, Erick - 3/1.2M

Yankees Retain A-Rod

NEW YORK - The New York Yankees announced today that Alex Rodriguez has decided to say with New York to finish out his current contract.

"After considering all my options," said Rodriguez in a press conference at Yankee Stadium this afternoon, "the Yankees give me the best opportunity to continue my career and win a World Series ring. I look forward to winning a title here in New York."

Rodriguez saw his batting average drop to just .254 in 2007, his lowest full season total in his career. He slugged 31 home runs and drove in 95 while playing all 162 games for New York. He sits five home runs shy of 500 for his career entering 2008.

After committing 24 errors in 382 total chances in 2006, Rodriguez was charged with 16 miscues in 552 total chances.

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

December 2, 2007

Lowry Being Shopped in Nashville?

SAN FRANCISCO - With the Winter Meetings just a week away, rumors are abound at 24 Willie Mays

Plaza that the Giants are taking calls in regards to left-handed starter Noah Lowry in hopes of trading

for some offensive help.

As the Giants push forward towards their first season without Barry Bonds in 15 years, it's obvious

that they need some offensive help. San Francisco has not had an offensive prospect pan out since

they drafted Bill Mueller in 1993; and their closest thing to a solid offensive prospect right now is

17-year old Angel Villalona, who is years away from contributing at the major league level.

"We have to listen to all offers," said Brian Sabean on KNBR this morning. "We aren't just going to give

players away, but you have to give up something of value to get something of value. I definitely think

you can't have enough pitching, but I also believe we are in a position where we can afford to trade

one or two of these guys if we can get an impact bat."

Sabean confirmed that only Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum are untouchable. He also suggested that the

Giants are looking to unload some of their veteran contracts as they begin the rebuilding process.

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

December 6, 2007

Giants Get Wood in Blockbuster Trade with Anaheim

SAN FRANCISCO - The San Fracisco Giants and Anaheim Angels have come to terms for a trade that

would send third base prospect Brandon Wood to San Francisco in exchange for pitchers Noah Lowry

and Jonathan Sanchez, and first baseman Ryan Klesko.

The negotiations lasted long into the early hours of the morning, but Brian Sabean and Bill Stoneman

finally came to an agreement that gives the Giants the player Baseball America ranked as the eighth-

best overall prospect entering the season.

Prior to 2007, Wood had collected 172 extra-base hits over his past two seasons, including 68 home

runs in that span. He spent 2007 with the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees, hitting .297 with 20 home runs and

66 RBI. The Giants expect Wood to compete with Rich Aurilia for the third base job in spring training.

Lowry, 27, and Sanchez, 25, are both southpaws with great promise. Lowry relies more on confusing

hitters with his plus change-up and control. Sanchez sports a mid-90's fastball and spent the 2007

season in Class AAA Fresno working on his control and breaking pitches. Both are expected to compete

for starting jobs in spring training.

Klesko, 36, adds a left-handed bat to the Angels lineup as they look to improve on their 80-82 campaign

last season.

The sticking point in the deal was Klesko's contract, which the Giants renewed last month to the tune

of one-year, $1.5 million. San Francisco will pay all of that salary in 2008, keeping it off the Angels books.

Lowry comes relatively cheap and is locked up through 2009, with an option for 2010.

Lowry and Sanchez? Oh well, you got lots of pitching anyway.

You gave up too much. The Angels have a bunch of good prospects in those positions anyways so it's not like it hurts them all that much, too.

Do I think I gave up too much? Absolutely. The computer was ready to do it with just Sanchez and Klesko.

But I tried to think "realistically." And I think the only way Stoneman trades anyone, let alone Wood, is for him to be blown out of the water in doing so. He's notoriously hard to trade with.

And, realistically speaking, it got followers thinking "What the hell is Sabean doing." :D

Thanks for the feedback guys - hope you keep checking in!

Umm...you're right, Stoneman IS really hard to negotiate with. AND Wood is one of the ONLY completely untouchables in the Angels organization. Especially considering that you gave them something they already have a surplus of (pitching) and a duplicate Robb Quinlan (Klesko), you made a real steal there.

But hey, not to knock you. I'm also a Giants fan (strange, I know), and it'll be interesting to see how Wood pans out up there!

Wood is hardly untouchable considering his struggles to hit for average over the past few years and the fact that he finally moved off of shortstop. It's true that they have a bit of a surplus of pitching, but certainly not of lefties, and finally, Klesko is a far better player than Quinlan.

Glad this has started a debate of sorts. Thanks for taking the time to check in and throw out your opinion. :D

IMO, a majority of the "blockbuster" trades in baseball are one-sided toward the team that is giving up the prospect or superstar. And you'd be hard pressed to trade Stoneman a five-dollar bill for a one-dollar bill, if he thought you really wanted that Washington.

I think the Angels definitely got the high-end of the deal for basically the reasons TwentySeven laid out, which is what I was aiming for. Hopefully Wood can put up ROY numbers and I can get some good outings out of Correia and Misch, along with possible other prospective starters, to lessen the blow.

Again, thanks for the feedback guys - hope you enjoy the rest of the journey!

Twins Resign Hunter, Santana Next?

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn - In a somewhat shocking turn of events, the Minnesota Twins and center fielder Torii Hunter have to come an agreement that will keep Hunter in Minnesota through 2012.

Hunter, 32, will be guaranteed $80 million over the life of the contract, with incentives potentially adding another $15 million.

"When it came down to it," said Hunter, "my heart is in Minnesota. The fans are great here and I have a lot of memories. I probably could have gotten more elsewhere, but the brass assured me that they will actively work to keep our core group together so we can make run in the coming years."

One player in that core group is Johan Santana, whose contract is up at the end of the 2008 season. With the contracts handed out to pitchers recently, many believe that he could become the first $200 million pitcher if he hit free agency.

Minnesota offered Hunter a five-year, $75 million deal earlier in the season, but Hunter turned it down. Many thought that the action meant Hunter was set on testing free agency.

Jones Takes One-Year Deal with Atlanta

ATLANTA - The Atlanta Braves and Andruw Jones have agreed to a one-year deal worth $10 million.

Jones, 30, struggled in 2007, hitting just .243 with 21 home runs and 63 RBI. They were his lowest average and home run totals since 1997 when he hit .231 in his first full season in the majors while blasting just 18 home runs. His 63 RBI were his lowest full season total in his career.

Despite a push from agent Scott Boras to test free agency, Jones accepted the one-year deal with hopes of proving his worth again in 2008.

"I had a horrible year," said Jones. "I'm going to spend this offseason working as hard as possible to improve my game and to show, not just the Braves and the rest of the league, but myself that I can still be counted on as an impact player."

Jones defense remained stellar in 2007 as the center fielder committed just one error on his way to winning his 10th Gold Glove Award.

On quick glance, it appears that a lot of free agents stayed with their clubs (i.e. Mike Lowell). So instead of doing a press release format for every one of them, I'm going to list each team and some of the new faces for 2008.

There are probably more, but I just noted the players that I thought a majority of you would recognize in passing...and the players I list might not be just free agency either. The game doesn't make a list of transactions until spring training starts, so I'm just seeing new faces - not whether they went via trade, free agency, etc.

...but one more free agent will get a press release write-up. Wonder where he ended up...

Its sad to see Lowry being dealt - he is one of my favorite players (if not the favorite) on the Giants roster. But I like the way you thought about that deal and didn't succumb to one of those trades that the computer accepts even though there is no chance of a deal like that (Sanchez, Klesko for Wood) happening in real life. Looking forward for more updates. Take care.

Archived