• New York Mets
    • Other

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

April 1, 2008

Cain Named Opening Day Starter

SAN FRANCISCO - The rebuilding process has begun for the San Francisco Giants, and nowhere is it

more apparent than on the mound as 22-year old Matt Cain has been named the team's Opening Day

starter. The Giants start the season tomorrow in San Diego versus the Padres.

"It's a great honor," said Cain. "I'm looking forward to this season - it's going to take awhile, but I

think the team is on the right track."

The Giants first six games are on the road, with their first home game coming against the Padres on

April 7. With the scheduled rotation announced by manager Bruce Bochy, another Giants phenom is

expected to take the hill in their home opener in the form of Tim Lincecum. Here's the rotation Bochy

announced earlier today:

Cain

Lincecum

Barry Zito

Kevin Correia

Pat Misch

First pitch for Opening Day is set for 1:05 PT. The runner-up for the 2007 Cy Young Award, Jake Peavy,

will start for San Diego.

What happened to players like Jose Reyes, Jonathan Papelbon, and Carlos Zambrano? They're nowhere to be found on those rosters!

Yeah, that's the beauty of the computer. Once you get past the first season, they tear the rosters to hell. I fixed a couple of players, but then I noticed that it was wide-spread. So it's just going to have to fix itself.

Did look at some of the stats, and it appears to be somewhat production-driven. For instance, Reyes hit just .240 last season. Obviously these demotions probably wouldn't happen realistically; but it's out of my hands now.

Everything looks great, sf. Sorry if I missed it somewhere but do you play all games manually? Sim some play some?

With the majority of dynasties I've played, I play the first game of a series and sim the rest.

Since this dynasty will go until I win a World Series (the final of three goals I set - make playoffs, win pennant being the other two which are listed on page one), it's more than likely going to span a few seasons.

So, my plan is to play the first game of every division series. Then I will sim the rest of those series, and all non-division series, until August 1. Starting in August, I will treat any series against teams that are contending for the wild card with the Giants, if any, as divisional series.

I will play every playoff game. Recaps will be done for every game played and every series.

Hope that's confusing enough. :D

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

April 1, 2008

Padres Take Opener 3-2, But Lose Peavy

San Diego ace to undergo MRI tomorrow

gamefinaldq8.jpg

peavyrt6.jpg

Jake Peavy held the Giants scoreless through six innings and struck out 10 in his outing; but he left

with an apparent shoulder injury in the eighth inning.

cameronyb3.jpg

Mike Cameron reacts to a called third strike from Matt Cain in the bottom of the fourth. Cain only struck

out two in the contest, but didn't walk a batter in his six and two-thirds innings of work.

frannytb3.jpg

Peavy watches Kevin Frandsen's game-tying, two-run home run in the seventh inning.

molinabe3.jpg

Cameron doubled with one out in the bottom of the seventh, but was thrown out by center fielder

Randy Winn when he tried to score on a single by the next batter, Khalil Greene.

gilesqc2.jpgbenchjg9.jpg

(Left) Marcus Giles homered off Brad Hennessey with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning to put

San Diego up 3-2. (Right) The Giants bench reacts after a ground out by Winn ends the contest.

Scoring

B1: Barrett two-run HR

T7: Frandsen two-run HR

B8: M. Giles solo HR

W – Hensley (1-0) L – Hennessey (0-1) S - Hoffman (1)

Player of the Game:

Kevin Frandsen 1-3, HR, 2 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

April 2, 2008

Lincecum Solid, But Giants Drop Second Straight 2-0

Chris Young allows just seven hits over shutout performance

april2hy3.jpg

Chris Young and Tim Lincecum battled for seven innings in a classic pitcher's duel today; but Lincecum

faltered first, finally surrendering a two-run home run to Morgan Ensberg in the eighth inning. That

was all Young would need as he held the Giants to just seven hits while striking out seven and walk-

ing one in the shutout.

It was Young's fifth career complete game and his third shutout. He posted four complete games

and two shutouts last season.

Scoring

B8: Ensberg two-run HR

W – Young (1-0) L – Lincecum (0-1)

Player of the Game:

Chris Young 9 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 7 K, 1 BB

April 2, 2008 Boxscore

April 3, 2008

Zito K's 10 as Giants Win First Game of '08

Zito lifted one out short of finishing the contest

april3mr7.jpg

With San Diego eyeing a sweep to start off 2008, Barry Zito pitched the Giants to their first victory of

the season.

San Francisco got all the support Zito would need in the second inning, scoring three times off future

Hall of Famer Greg Maddux on a sacrifice fly from Randy Winn and RBI singles from Dan Ortmeier and

Fred Lewis.

Zito cruised until the ninth inning when San Diego got two runs off the left-hander, forcing manager

Bruce Bochy to bring in closer Brian Wilson. Wilson walked pinch-hitter Andy Phillips before striking out

Marcus Giles to end the game. It was Giles fourth strikeout of the contest.

Scoring

T2: Winn sacrifice fly scores Wood; Ortmeier single scores Molina; Lewis single scores Ortmeier

B9: Ankiel single scores Cameron; Hunter sacrifice fly scores Greene

W – Zito (1-0) L – Maddux (0-1) S - Wilson (1)

Player of the Game:

Barry Zito 8.2 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 10 K, 3 BB

April 3, 2008 Boxscore

wow thats awesome!!! how did you get there to be noone there?

There's an option in settings that allows you to turn off crowds. Can't remember the exact name, but I'm assuming you will recognize it when you see it :D

I do it because the game seems to run smoother with the crowds gone. Thanks for checking in!

Tough loss, sf. Despite the offense, you hung in there pretty well. Too bad Peavy didn't get hurt in the offseason. ;)

Yeah, that would have helped a lot. Although, with the way Young and Maddux pitched, I don't know...

Looks like the offense is going to give me ulcers this season - much like real life :D

Go get em, sf. BTW, you checked out rolie's new Dodger stadium?

Wow. :shock:

I'm almost hoping I get to face them in my post season just to get some playing time there.

With that said, it might just be my last wish of the season. :)

Haven't played in it yet, but I've got it installed. Lookin forward to smacking the Bums around in it :D

bannerturnthepagetu9.png

April 4, 2008

Kemp, Loney Power Bums Past Giants

Correia struggles in first start of '08

gamefinaldo6.jpg

kempez7.jpgloney1to4.jpg

(Left) Matt Kemp's three-run home run in the bottom of the third put the game out of reach for San Fran-

cisco. (Right) James Loney added two RBI of his own as he and Kemp combined to drive in all six runs for

the Dodgers.

furcalzt0.jpgloneyvg7.jpg

(Left) Rafael Furcal was hit by a Kevin Correia slider to begin the bottom of the first. (Right) Loney was later

hit in the third inning, forcing home plate umpire Tim McClelland to warn both benches.

schierholtznx4.jpg

Nate Schierholtz was the first of five strikeout victims by Derek Lowe in his seven strong innings of work.

Scoring

B1: Loney double scores Furcal; Kemp single scores Loney

T3: Lewis single scores Frandsen

B3: Kemp three-run HR

B7: Loney single scores Freeman

W – Lowe (1-0) L – Correia (0-1)

Player of the Game:

Matt Kemp 2-4, HR, 4 RBI

For Boxscore, click here

Archived