I was caught cheating

hiheat32

Sorry for this ranting I'm about to do, but this little incident just ruined my senior year of high school. First off, like any good paper, I'll start you off with a question: Have you ever cheated on a test in high school? If you answered "yes", "I wouldn't have passed high school if I didn't ", or "maybe," then you might want to read my little rant.

Ok, here goes the story. The day started off normally. I went to school, aced an AP calculus test, fell asleep in English, and studied for my Physics test. All good right? Yeah, my day was about to take a huge right turn.

So I get to my forth period class, goevernment, where we were going to take an easy test after lunch. Just to fill ya in, this class had what we call "B" lunch, so there would be lunch smack dab in the middle of the class. Anyways, we usually take the test after lunch, so I take that time to study a little. As I was about to look at some notes, though, I found a copy of the test near my desk. Let me ask you something, if you were asked to get to a certain place that was 60 miles away from where you were currently located, and were given a car, but told not to use it, would you use the car if ya knew you wouldn't get caught? Well, I decided to use the test, filled out in like 5 minutes (because I'm pretty smart and headed off to MIT next year) and took it to lunch. While at lunch, I looked it over real fast, without writing the answers down on my arm or anything (which technically means I wasn't cheating) and handed off to this girl I'll call May.

May was a cool and funny girl that had a little problem in this government class and was border-line failing. So, being the nice guy that I am, gave her the answers so she could ace the real test and be able to go to a band trip she really wanted to go to. Anyways, I finish eating my lunch and head back to class. During this time, though, she was caught by a principle with the answers written down on a little piece of paper. When the principle asked what the answers were for, she told her the exact thing it was for. Ugh. So the principle informs the teacher and poor old May gets a zero.

Well at this point, I'm still in the clear and I didn't cheat, so I walk out of class when the bell rings feeling sorry for May and thinking that I'm off the hook.

Unfortunately, May is an emotional basket case and goes back to the government teacher begging/crying for another chance. During this time, she is coerced to reveal where she got the test from. Instead of answering "I found it on the ground," which would have stopped the bleeding right then and there, she tells the teacher my name. A few hours later, I get a text from May saying she turned me in. Being home from school now, I called her up and said one word: "Why?" I believe my good character really showed out when I did that because I refrained from yelling and cussing (at least while I was still talking to her...). Now I'm stuck with a zero on a test I personally did not cheat on with more consequences pending on what the principles decide to do.

Oh, and that's not all. It turns out the test I found was a completely different test that did not have any of the same questions, so the whole thing was a huge wasted of time and GPAs. Also, when May turned me in, she still had a fat zero in the grade book.

Summary:

I help a girl by giving her answers for a test, while not keeping the answers for my self. Girl gets caught with answers and rats me out saying I cheated. The girl gets a zero, I get a zero and it turns out the test she was copying from did not match one question from the test we actually took.

Alright, I'm done ranting. You have any thoughts or cheating stories you want to tell? Let me here'em, maybe it will make me feel a little better.

Peace.

Well my friends cheat on every english/biology vocab test they ever have and yet I always get a better grade with out a cheat sheet. I study before class, thats it.

Well one of my friends got a 0 for cheating on a vocab test in bio-

so he was just about to put down his name and then he noticed a test left out of the basket. So the sub saw him looking at it (even though he couldn't read it at all) and picked up his test and yelled at him. He just looked at the test with out realizing it was infact a test. So that brought him from a 93 to an 80 for the nine weeks. ouch. :(

How were you not cheating by reading the test?

Is this not cheating? I am confused.

Dude, no offense, but by picking that test up, reading it (which you admit to doing), passing it off to someone else to cheat, then you certainly deserve whatever punishment you get.

You say your a smart guy, and going to MIT next year, then why in the hell would you bother even picking that test up. You were setting yourself up to get caught. Doesn't matter if it was a different test or not, you "read" it, and gave it away.....that's a no-no.

Although I do feel what ya did was cheating I will give you this advice. If the test was indeed out in the open for whoever to see and take as you say, then I'd demand that the teacher gets disciplinary action for being irresponsible with his papers. A high school student shouldn't have to try to resist that kind of temptation when they have so many other temptations right in front of them everyday. And if the teacher can't be responsible with his/her papers then who is he/she to teach others how to be responsible? I'd demand this be done and even possibly threaten legal action if this is the first time you've done anything wrong and it seriously impacts your acedemic career. Cheating is wrong, yes, but possibly destroying a students potential over one bad decision is criminal.

I'm a senior in HS and I cheated on every Law test that I had last year. (I never did in-class work or paid attention much). What I did was use the Notes part of the iPod and I would make this huge cheat sheet and our teacher would let us use iPods during class (This a university prep class). So I listened away with glancing at my iPod every while and got away with it. :D

In all fairness you should get a zero as well because you gave her the answers which ended up being wrong anyways. Even though you didn't cheat on your test, you were the reason for this girl's failure. It sucks though, you sounded like you were in the clear before she ratted you out.

"If you're not cheating, you're not trying. It's only cheating if you get caught" - Jim Rome

As much as I hate quoting that d-bag, it's true. Lots of people cheat during high school, which doesn't make it a good thing, but you're easily not alone.

How were you not cheating by reading the test?

Is this not cheating? I am confused.

Dude, no offense, but by picking that test up, reading it (which you admit to doing), passing it off to someone else to cheat, then you certainly deserve whatever punishment you get.

You say your a smart guy, and going to MIT next year, then why in the hell would you bother even picking that test up. You were setting yourself up to get caught. Doesn't matter if it was a different test or not, you "read" it, and gave it away.....that's a no-no.

You are right dj, I'm an idiot for even picking up the test. Although, I technically was cheating, I never actually cheated during the actual test. Two minutes at lunch was all I needed to memorize all of the answers. I see myself cheating before the test (which is still cheating, don't get me wrong) since there was no cheat or writing on the desk during the test. It's kind of like the fail-safe way of cheating, if you don't give the answers up to anyone else...

Yet, this is still hypothetical because the tests didn't even match up. It is kind of like we are getting punished for a failed attempt at cheating. When kids blatantly look at other people's papers and the teacher says as a warning "keep your eyes on your own paper," I see that as a failed attempt at cheating. I did take the test using my own knowledge.

Anyways, I see where you are coming from dj. That is probably how the teachers and my parents are looking at it.

On a lighter note, we one our high school baseball game to day. I was pitching and I imagined the catchers mit was "May" (jk). It seemed to work because I pitched a complete game with one earned run. If we would have lost that game, this probably would have been the worst day of my life.

I'm a senior in HS and I cheated on every Law test that I had last year. (I never did in-class work or paid attention much). What I did was use the Notes part of the iPod and I would make this huge cheat sheet and our teacher would let us use iPods during class (This a university prep class). So I listened away with glancing at my iPod every while and got away with it. :D

In all fairness you should get a zero as well because you gave her the answers which ended up being wrong anyways. Even though you didn't cheat on your test, you were the reason for this girl's failure. It sucks though, you sounded like you were in the clear before she ratted you out.

On the actual test I ended up making a 90 before it was shot down to a zero. Yeah, it will hurt my grade, but I had a 100 up to now so I'm looking at around a low 80. Oh well. As for May, I feel terrible. She is probably failing with a possible chance of not graduating. That is why I'm not extremely mad that she ratted me out. Yes I am mad, but I'm part of the reason she got a zero.

The thing I hate is that you are trying to blame other people for your mistake. You cheated on a test which you should not have done, and got caught, now you have to pay for it. It sucks that you got ratted out but you have to take responsibility for your actions. Don't blame the teacher for leaving the answers out there, or May for telling on you. And by the way, if you got caught doing anything even close to this at MIT you would be lucky to get by with just a zero on the test. I have professors that will fail you if you sight a paper in the wrong format.

every 1 at some point in life has done something like this, from preschool-highschool at some point and time, thing is this... and obv... you need a lil help on street knowlegde.. soooo... only thing im gone say to you is this, as it pretains to life in general, "Know who you choose to asscoiate with" in all aspects of life, this time it was a lil piece of paper without no reprecussions to you, as you said, you still will squeek through, lil miss may, might not, but in closing the people you think you know, and as you say is cool might not really be and set you up foreal, as you said, she's a

"Basket case" well you knew this from jump, why trust that move in the first place?, you see something, you feel is safe to do, and if you think you can get away with it, you do it by yourself.

as for your punishment, well depending on how strict your hs is, you might get a letter of attention writen to your current college you plan on going to, but as long as your grades are in tact, you should'nt have much to worry about there, outside of "character deduction", we had some students back in my day try something like this, and thats what happen, slap on the hand, but next time, it could be a judge slaping you on the hand for 25 to life, all because you thought some 1 was cool, or some 1 you, "Thought you could Trust"

'Know Who You Kick It With Yougin'

The thing I hate is that you are trying to blame other people for your mistake. You cheated on a test which you should not have done, and got caught, now you have to pay for it. It sucks that you got ratted out but you have to take responsibility for your actions. Don't blame the teacher for leaving the answers out there, or May for telling on you. And by the way, if you got caught doing anything even close to this at MIT you would be lucky to get by with just a zero on the test. I have professors that will fail you if you sight a paper in the wrong format.

I take full responsibility for what happened. I should have never picked up the test. I never once blamed my teacher and I'm really not trying to blame May. I'm just ranting about the chain of unfortunate events that happened after I found the test and my current situation. 99 out of 100 times I wouldn't get caught.

I take full responsibility for what happened. I should have never picked up the test. I never once blamed my teacher and I'm really not trying to blame May. I'm just ranting about the chain of unfortunate events that happened after I found the test and my current situation. 99 out of 100 times I wouldn't get caught.

I get what your saying just needed a way to say everything you felt.S*#t happens you live and learn and in 10 years you'll look back on that day and laugh because it could always be worse as long as your still breathing

Sorry for this ranting I'm about to do, but this little incident just ruined my senior year of high school. First off, like any good paper, I'll start you off with a question: Have you ever cheated on a test in high school? If you answered "yes", "I wouldn't have passed high school if I didn't ", or "maybe," then you might want to read my little rant.

Ok, here goes the story. The day started off normally. I went to school, aced an AP calculus test, fell asleep in English, and studied for my Physics test. All good right? Yeah, my day was about to take a huge right turn.

So I get to my forth period class, goevernment, where we were going to take an easy test after lunch. Just to fill ya in, this class had what we call "B" lunch, so there would be lunch smack dab in the middle of the class. Anyways, we usually take the test after lunch, so I take that time to study a little. As I was about to look at some notes, though, I found a copy of the test near my desk. Let me ask you something, if you were asked to get to a certain place that was 60 miles away from where you were currently located, and were given a car, but told not to use it, would you use the car if ya knew you wouldn't get caught? Well, I decided to use the test, filled out in like 5 minutes (because I'm pretty smart and headed off to MIT next year) and took it to lunch. While at lunch, I looked it over real fast, without writing the answers down on my arm or anything (which technically means I wasn't cheating) and handed off to this girl I'll call May.

May was a cool and funny girl that had a little problem in this government class and was border-line failing. So, being the nice guy that I am, gave her the answers so she could ace the real test and be able to go to a band trip she really wanted to go to. Anyways, I finish eating my lunch and head back to class. During this time, though, she was caught by a principle with the answers written down on a little piece of paper. When the principle asked what the answers were for, she told her the exact thing it was for. Ugh. So the principle informs the teacher and poor old May gets a zero.

Well at this point, I'm still in the clear and I didn't cheat, so I walk out of class when the bell rings feeling sorry for May and thinking that I'm off the hook.

Unfortunately, May is an emotional basket case and goes back to the government teacher begging/crying for another chance. During this time, she is coerced to reveal where she got the test from. Instead of answering "I found it on the ground," which would have stopped the bleeding right then and there, she tells the teacher my name. A few hours later, I get a text from May saying she turned me in. Being home from school now, I called her up and said one word: "Why?" I believe my good character really showed out when I did that because I refrained from yelling and cussing (at least while I was still talking to her...). Now I'm stuck with a zero on a test I personally did not cheat on with more consequences pending on what the principles decide to do.

Oh, and that's not all. It turns out the test I found was a completely different test that did not have any of the same questions, so the whole thing was a huge wasted of time and GPAs. Also, when May turned me in, she still had a fat zero in the grade book.

Summary:

I help a girl by giving her answers for a test, while not keeping the answers for my self. Girl gets caught with answers and rats me out saying I cheated. The girl gets a zero, I get a zero and it turns out the test she was copying from did not match one question from the test we actually took.

Alright, I'm done ranting. You have any thoughts or cheating stories you want to tell? Let me here'em, maybe it will make me feel a little better.

Peace.

So, you cheated and got caught. Now man up and deal with the consequences.

Edit: Well, "cheated" isn't really the right term. More like "tried to cheat."

hiheat32 will you still be eligible to play baseball? or they gonna suspend you?

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to play. I would really be letting down my team if I couldn't.

Man, that sucks. Will this go on your permanent record and will MIT be notified of this? That would really suck if MIT kicked you out because of this nonsense. I feel for you man.

I don't think so, but it could happen. That would really grind my gears. Personally, I think a zero for a test grade is a fair consequence. Much more than that I would think is unfair.

Let me ask you something, if you were asked to get to a certain place that was 60 miles away from where you were currently located, and were given a car, but told not to use it, would you use the car if ya knew you wouldn't get caught?

This metaphor doesn't work. It would be true if the only point was to pass the test by any means possible. However, the real point of tests is to make you study, and therefore hopefully learn the material.

Your metaphor under these circumstances would be:

Let me ask you something, if you were taking part in a 60 mile marathon, and you found a car that you could drive there instead, but were told by the rules of the marathon that you had to use your own feet, would you use the car to win the marathon if ya knew you wouldn't get caught?

That's cheating. Sorry, Rosie Ruiz.

That's cheating. Sorry, Rosie Ruiz.

Wow, I remember that like it was yesterday. She got her face splashed on a lot of papers and then they found out it was all a lie. For you guys who don't know who she is, she is the woman who won the Boston Marathon in 1980 but she only ran the last mile of the race. She was caught not too long after the race was done and the victory went to another woman who actually ran the whole thing.

Archived