Official Political (Republican/Democrat) Debate Thread

DJEagles

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any opinions on Palin's appearance on SNL or Powell's appearance on Meet The Press? Do you think what Powell had to say will influence what a lot of people will do?

Regarding the SNL: I think Palin's first skit was good. I liked it when Alec Baldwin acted as if Palin was Tina and started to bad mouth Palin only for Loren to tell him it was Palin. He then sucked up to her and she told him that his brother is her favorite Baldwin ... LOL. But, I don't think the second skit during the News Weekend Update was good for her image. I didn't pay attention to the song but some parts weren't flattering.

My friends, McCain knows how to get Bin Laden. And He's going to get him because he knows how to. My Friends.

I was going to say that he can bomb whichever country in which he's hiding if they don't locate him within 48 hours but my Second idea is better. The government can issue a One Billion Dollar Reward for him kind of like how you see rewards in the post office or similar places. The government just approved 700+ billion dollars so what's one (or even two) more. Ironically, I think SNL did a skit on this a year or three ago.

A town called Brighton that's about 30 miles away from where I live is having a Danish company called Vestas come in and build a wind farm. The wind farm will create 1,400 jobs on its own, and 2 for every one of those. 4,200 new jobs, not to mention lots that have been vacant since the 50's are now being replaced with cultural centers and other new projects.

A town called Brighton that's about 30 miles away from where I live is having a Danish company called Vestas come in and build a wind farm. The wind farm will create 1,400 jobs on its own, and 2 for every one of those. 4,200 new jobs, not to mention lots that have been vacant since the 50's are now being replaced with cultural centers and other new projects.

"Brighton is not a part of Real America. Drill, baby, drill!"

- Sarah Palin

Does anyone have any opinions on Palin's appearance on SNL or Powell's appearance on Meet The Press? Do you think what Powell had to say will influence what a lot of people will do?

She looked like a fool on SNL, she had Alec calling her names to her face, and then she was grooving to a song that talked about her bridge to nowhere.

They should have had more control of what was happening or pulled her from the show, just what the hell were they thinking

As for Powell I thought it would make NO DIFFERENCE, but the polls call me wrong. In one poll they ask people who made their decision in the last week (for Obama) it the Powell endorsement has influenced their decision and 40% claim yes

And, if there was a terrorist attack domestically in the next 3 weeks, the polls would reverse and McCain would be in the lead. Because it plays to his strengths on foreign policy.

Which is essentially what we had. And economic terrorist attack.

not seeing it, most people do not see that has a strength for McCain any more (the debates killed that)

O 47 M 47 on The U.S. campaign against terrorism

O 48 M 48 on The war in Iraq

The Repugs can not longer count on the "vote for us or you are going to die" game plan

BUT

O 55 M 40 on The economy

SNL will have a Presidential Bash the night before the election. I don't know about anyone else but I just watch it for Tina. 30 Rock here I come. LOL

Has either of the candidates stated in detail what they would do regarding this latest economic issue?

Commentary

And how the banking and mortgage laws should looked at again as well as perhaps how the Glass Stegall Act might have to be re-established and that the government or another entity will have to analyze each of the mortgages that were bundled to see which ones are good and which are bad?

It's nice to throw money at the banks so that the rest of the country doesn't collapse but unless if they actually fix the problem and perhaps throw many people in jail or take away their licenses, this problem may just happen again sometime in the near distant future. It was nice for Congress to do something as they did and I think they had to do something. But, I don't know why they came up with the whole package and new rules by themselves. I don't think they fully understood the situation and since they passed it, they changed their minds at least twice on what to do.

However, I think if we were able to examine as to what led up to these events ... basically no regulation on something that these banks were coming up with themselves because of pressure to compete against the international banks and those bundled mortgages. Unless if something is done about this, the economy and more importantly the housing market will suffer for a while to come. Eventually, the stock market will bounce back as it done before but something has to do about the banks so that this can be avoided in the future. No matter who becomes President, I hope they have something planned for this and no matter who becomes President, they'll have a tough task ahead of them and will inherit a bad economic situation that the other party will eventually blame on them. Sometimes I just wonder why anyone would want that job of President. It can't be the money. Maybe it's having a secret service. LOL

EDIT -- Japan had the same banking problems and they've been in a recesion for I think 25 years now. Their stock was about 3 times higher than it is now. Iceland just let their two big banks go under a little while ago. These banks are huge in backing a good part of Europe so Europe is undergoing a tough time too. This is a global economy and what goes around comes around. It just sucks that people get greedy and don't learn from history ... whether it be their own or someone else's.

Today, with my family, we drove to Fort Collins at Colorado State University, about 30 minutes away, to see Obama. In Denver, at 11:30, Obama drew 110,000 people. In Fort Collins, Obama drew 40,000 inside "the Oval" where the event was. Outside? At least another 30 or 40 thousand, possibly even 60, were waiting outside, where we were at. The line was 4 or 5 wide, and went on for at least a few miles. We didn't even reach the end of the line, it was so long. I've never seen anything like it.

Today, with my family, we drove to Fort Collins at Colorado State University, about 30 minutes away, to see Obama. In Denver, at 11:30, Obama drew 110,000 people. In Fort Collins, Obama drew 40,000 inside "the Oval" where the event was. Outside? At least another 30 or 40 thousand, possibly even 60, were waiting outside, where we were at. The line was 4 or 5 wide, and went on for at least a few miles. We didn't even reach the end of the line, it was so long. I've never seen anything like it.

And McCain a few days ago drew 2,000 people in Denver with John Elway by his side

http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/10/24...s-a-field-goal/

arena hold 65,000

And McCain a few days ago drew 2,000 people in Denver with John Elway by his side

embeds.blogs.foxnews.c...ield-goal/

arena hold 65,000

Which arena was this? The only stadium that holds an amount even close to that, to my knowledge, is Invesco. I don't doubt that McCain has weak crowds not reaching capacity, but I don't know of anyplace besides Mile High that holds that many.

Today, in Good Ol' Red State Colorado, Barack Obama held the biggest political rally in US History, in Denver Civic Center Park. This was just after breaking the previous record in St. Louis.

About a week ago, Sarah Palin screwed up royally by giving out 20,000 tickets to her event at the Budweiser Event Center about 20 minutes away from where I live. The problem? It only seats 7,500. There were not too many happy people outside.

Edit: My friend just tried to blame the last 8 years on Bill Clinton's "tax policies". It never ends.

I was talking to my friend about how Obama is going to roll back the tax cuts for the rich, and she says:

"Well you must obviously plan on making money ever in your life"

To which I should have said, but I didn't:

"You must obviously not plan on making money either, you go to CSU."

I missed the ultimate burn. As a CU fan, just think of CU/CSU like any other intrastate collegiate rivalry.

Edit:

I just wanted to pass along an article that describes the political climate in my congressional district, which was featured in Rolling Stone.

Colorado 4th Congressional District

Sorry to go off topic for a sec but ...

There was an emergency at the White House today but at least everyone was fine. The secret service caught a guy trying to climb over the fence to the White House.

After they caught they guy, they told him that he had to get back in the house since he still has 2 more months left to go on his term.

I heard that on Conan. Sorry about that but I just had to.

* edit *

Giuliani: I think, I believe, I guess ...

Get this:

In Texas, 23% of people polled, said they believe Obama is a Muslim. Are you fu**ing kidding me?? How stupid are these people? Im sad to say that I lived in Texas for 8 years, and the people I knew, were not that stupid. I dont know how to explain the ignorance in this country, but to think he is a Muslim is asinine. What more does this poor guy have to do to get people to understand?? Most of these backwoods idiots who believe this crap, are probably the same ones who think that Obama is an Arab as well, when in fact his father was Kenyan. Just because you have an Arabic name by nature, doesnt mean your Arabic or Muslim. There are christians dying everyday in countries that dont have religious tolerance, and these people who think this about Obama are the true whack jobs. Palin is a saint in comparison.

and Guiliani went on some torrid rambling escapade, and what he did unintentionally, was link McCain to Ayers. That my friends is how you lose an election. Oh the Reps are digging in deeper, while the Dems are throwing pooh on top of them. I cant wait for tuesday, its coming soon, and so is retribution.

You know, people talk so much about right wing and left wing. Republicans talk about how good the right is, so...........Sadaam (was) and Chavez is right wing.....but you knew that already.

and heres how ridiculous the Ayres/Obama comparison was.....

The Dems, if they were smart would have used the Palling around with communists comparison with McCain during his 5 year imprisonment in Vietnam. Its the same stupid comparison as the Ayers/Obama comparison, and meant absolutely nothing in the grander scheme of things. Just more of the same fearmongering from the right.

Actually your vote really doesn't count at all. It isn't like one vote is going to make a difference anyway. The electoral votes are what counts. Our votes mean nothing.

The problem with this attitude is that when thousands of people have it, those vote totals could have counted a great deal.

More like hundreds of thousands have it. Wrigley, you have to know that your vote does count man. Thats whats the determining factor of the electorate. This is gonna be a close election and if everyone thought the way you do, this country would be in trouble even more than it is now.

But I do see your point wrigley. I know one thing though, and I mean this sinceraly.........The candidates are all we have, which isnt saying much, but to go through 4 more years of what we are going through now, and we elect another Republican to carry out Bush policies, I wont vote again. Because you cant fight ignorance, so why try. Ignorance to race, ignorance to past economic crisis, ignorance to warmongers, ignorance to terror which is way overblown and used as a crutch on bothsides way to much, but more by McCain and his experiences. Im just tired of watching the better qualified candidates get knocked over and we elect people like Bush twice in a row, going on 3 times in a row. You cant buck party lines, when you are with the president 90% of the time. Spin it all you want, his record is transparent for everyone to see. Then you wonder why the world is against us, and we are forced to go alone. The Czechs finally decided to take the radar system as an example. But they wanted something in return because the (we) the US always force our weight on other countries, so they forced the government to withdraw Visa documentation as a criteria to get into our country. I say good for them, because Visas are way over rated. I know this because my friend lives 2 hours from Prague, 15 minutes from Poland. Im sick of going to different countries, only to have people call me a stupid american, because we elect stupid people. I cant argue that and I wont. I have to laugh and agree with them, and buy them a drink, because they are right. They are not dumb people. We laugh and call the French cowards, but the truth of the matter is, when you lose over one million men over the course of one war, you have a tendancy to be gun shy. France lost more men in Verdun, than we lost over the course of WW1 and more men in WW1 then every war we fought in our history. I think the French have lost more men (soldiers or rebels and by rebs Im talking about rebs fighting against Rome in what is present day France) fighting wars over their history the 90% of most countries. So suffice to say, the French are not cowards. Thats an example the French use, when they call us arrogant. Yeah, we as a country are arrogant. You want to know why we are in the hole as deep as we are? Our money is valued by the central bank, and how much is circulated at one given time. We have borrowed so much to pay for this war, our money is worthless. Thats why Bush had to borrow from the Chinese, because we have so much money in circulation.

Archived