Whats your must have software List?

BigPaPa

I recently got a new computer with 64 bit OS and was going to ask waht 64 bit programs are best but im kinda curious what major or not so major software people swear by so heres mine:

1) Minifeild (aka Firefox 64bit)

2) AVG

3) 7z

4) Foxit PDF Reader

5) P S Pad

6) VLC Media Player

... prolly more but my computer currently has only windows installed so i dtn really remember

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Talk about reviving an old thread!

Couple of reasons for doing so. We have a lot of new people on this site since this thread was accessed last, there may be new software out there now that people use today that we didn't have two years ago and lastly, it can be an informative thread if enough people come in it and post here what programs they use for things and why. You may be able to learn of some software out there that you can use that you didn't even know existed. That's what I'm hoping can happen here.

Here's my short list of essential programs that I rely on:

Easy CD-DA Extractor

I've had this program for years now and it has never failed me. This program can convert one audio file from one format to another. It can burn Audio CD's for you and MP3 CD's, among many other things.

I purchased this program some years back and the great thing about this software is when you purchase it, you get free LIFETIME upgrades. You can't go wrong.

The webpage for this program is right here.

BS Player Pro

There's a free version of this but it really doesn't compare to the Pro version. Quoting their website, BS Player is "the best multimedia player (DivX, HD and AVC video, movie, audio, DVD, YouTube) in the world!" And I wouldn't argue with it because this program delivers exactly what it says.

For example, you can go to YouTube and you can cut and paste the address of a video on that website and it will play in BS Player and in the Pro version you can save the YouTube video to your hard drive in a .FLV format. Not bad.

This program is skinable, so you can make it look any way you'd like.

Media Monkey

Media Monkey is a music library manager, a MP3 player and converter, it can create audio CD's, plays podcasts, syncs with iPhones, iPods, and most any MP3 phone or Audio Device, among other things.

I have an iPod and I use this program to put on and take off songs on my iPod. I don't even have iTunes installed on my computer anymore because I don't need it. This program is a much better substitute for that piece of crap Apple product. And it takes less disk space too.

This program is highly customizable with Skins, visualizations, plug-ins and scripts.

Your Uninstaller

I think the best way for me to describe this program is to quote the website.

Let's say you frequently install trial versions of programs to check them out. And let's also say that, after giving them a shot, you don't like them and decide to uninstall them. Unfortunately, you find it impossible to uninstall some of them - they remain on the Windows installed programs list even they are "supposedly" gone. These improperly uninstalled programs can also be the cause of errors because many junk files and registry keys/values were left behind on your PC. These 'junk artifacts' can - and do - cause system problems and slow down Windows substantially.

Here's the solution:

Your Uninstaller! will solve these problems. It removes any installed program and clears all the left-behind traces - no more 'junk artifacts' remaining. Whenever you uninstall a program, Your Uninstaller! removes it completely! There's absolutely nothing left behind.

And I've owned this for a few years now and this program has helped me out a lot. Give it a shot if you think it would help you. And if anyone wants to purchase this program, occasionally check the website because at times they run specials and you can get it for ten dollars off.

I am not sure how big of an issue this is here, but I was just at a site with a 3 page thread about a guy who was having issues with IE8, and EVERYONE was telling him to roll back to IE7 :fool:

How in the world is ANYONE still suing IE anything?

Firefox, Firefox, Firefox, and lastly, Firefox.

Funny you should bring that up emath. My wife uses IE. Why she does I have no idea. Seems that all this time she used IE 7 and she was satisfied with it. Well, one day during a Windows update it updated her to IE 8 and when she got into that new version of that browser she had nothing but problems.

Among other things, her toolbar was gone. The place where you type in addresses wasn't there. She tried to go back to IE 7 but she had a hard time doing it. Eventually, she got back to version 7 and she's happy again. But for a time after that I tried to get her to get Firefox and use it because it is so much better but she is so used to IE that she won't.

Funny you should bring that up emath. My wife uses IE. Why she does I have no idea. Seems that all this time she used IE 7 and she was satisfied with it. Well, one day during a Windows update it updated her to IE 8 and when she got into that new version of that browser she had nothing but problems.

Among other things, her toolbar was gone. The place where you type in addresses wasn't there. She tried to go back to IE 7 but she had a hard time doing it. Eventually, she got back to version 7 and she's happy again. But for a time after that I tried to get her to get Firefox and use it because it is so much better but she is so used to IE that she won't.

I handle all things computer in my house, so you either use Firefox, or you don't get online :p

Internet Explorer is complete garbage. I understand people are lazy, but man it's clunky, slow, and not forgetting the security issues.

For me, Firefox, Photoshop, Vegas & VLC are musts, as well as my multiple versions of MVP that have been played x10000000000000 times more than MLB 2k9 and also Battlefield 2.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived