Home of the Braves

xiberger

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hunt for the division crown is over! Philadelphia won its game against Washington which puts them two games ahead with only one left to play. That also means the playoff brackets for the National League are set: my Braves will face the Astros and the Phillies will take on the Padres.

Sounds like two good matchups, doesn't it? ;)

What a horrible way to end the regular season! John Smoltz was pitching a gem, but suffered a strained right ribcage in the seventh inning. He'll be out for at least two weeks, which means he won't be able to play in the Division Series and also not in the Championship Series (if my Braves can get there).

Furthermore, Danny Kolb blew his third save of the year by giving up back-to-back home runs in the bottom of the ninth. That's not a good sign for the upcoming playoffs, but I'm sure he'll be as dominant in the NLDS as he has been all year.

Last weekly update of 2005 coming up next...

The first matchup in the Division Series will be a duel of titans, as Tim Hudson (20-7, 2.25 ERA) will take the mound for my Braves and Roy Oswalt (16-9, 3.02 ERA) will start for the Astros. My record against Houston is 5-1 this year, but the last time I faced Oswalt wasn't a pleasant experience. For those of you who don't remember, here's what I'm talking about: HOU 1 - ATL 0

Looks like JR was right when he said that patience was the key against Roy Oswalt. ;)

Houston's ace was dominant in the beginning but struggled to find the strike zone. A total of seven free passes and two big home runs by Geoff Jenkins finally broke his neck. Tim Hudson gave up a solo shot to Craig Biggio to start the game, but found into his rhythm after that. When he left the game after seven innings, my Braves had a comfortable 8-1 lead. The Astros then went to work and put a six-run inning on the board, which included a pair of three-run blasts by Adam Everett and Morgan Ensberg. Luckily, setup man Chris Reitsma was able to retire the side and catcher Johnny Estrada provided some extra room with a two-run homer in the ninth. Reitsma and Danny Kolb sealed the deal by getting the last three outs in the bottom of the inning.

The next game will feature a battle of left-handers, as Mike Hampton (16-7, 3.95 ERA) and Andy Pettitte (15-11, 3.35 ERA) will square off against each other.

Just wondering, x, what sliders and datafile do you use?

I'm playing on All-Star level with a slider set I've constantly tweaked over the years. You can find it here.

As for my datafile, I actually don't remember which one I originally used, but I've also tweaked it quite a bit in the past. It contains my very own pitching view and some adjustments to batting power.

I'm playing on All-Star level with a slider set I've constantly tweaked over the years. You can find it here.

As for my datafile, I actually don't remember which one I originally used, but I've also tweaked it quite a bit in the past. It contains my very own pitching view and some adjustments to batting power.

Thanks, x. I'm going to give these a shot. The one's I had been using were just too hard to get on base. I could barely average 5 or 6 hits a game, and you seem to get some good offensive numbers. I understand it's a "each his own" thing, but thanks for the reply!

Oh, and good luck in Game 2. B)

Archived