Home of the Braves

xiberger

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything was working out for my Braves and starting pitcher Horacio Ramirez until the seventh inning. Bobby Abreu homered to start the inning and Jimmy Rollins later hit a one-out grand slam deep into the stands in left field. I was able to get the tying run in scoring position in the ninth, thanks to a two-out double by Ryan Langerhans, but pinch-hitter Jeff Francoeur flied out to end the game.

btw, the Yankees have taken a 2-1 lead in the ALCS. Although I'm not a fan of the Bronx Bombers, I would love to play against them in the World Series.

In Game 5 of the series, John Thomson (2005: 13-7, 4.34 ERA) will take the mound for my Braves and Randy Wolf (2005: 14-10, 3.93 ERA) will get the start for the Phillies. It will be Thomson's first appearance in this year's postseason. If I don't win this game, the NLCS will be decided in Philadelphia. Go Braves!

Jim Thome's first-inning home run set the tone for Game 3. John Thomson never really found his rhythm and my offense was shut down by Randy Wolf. The Phillies scored two crucial runs in the eighth when Pat Burrell delivered a two-out, two-run single to give his team a 7-3 lead. Ryan Langerhans singled in two runs for my Braves in the bottom of the inning and Geoff Jenkins almost hit a three-run homer, but Bobby Abreu caught the ball at the wall. Representing the tying run in the bottom of the ninth, Andruw Jones flied out to end the game.

Series tied at 2-2. :(

Jim Thome's first-inning home run set the tone for Game 3. John Thomson never really found his rhythm and my offense was shut down by Randy Wolf. The Phillies scored two crucial runs in the eighth when Pat Burrell delivered a two-out, two-run single to give his team a 7-3 lead. Ryan Langerhans singled in two runs for my Braves in the bottom of the inning and Geoff Jenkins almost hit a three-run homer, but Bobby Abreu caught the ball at the wall. Representing the tying run in the bottom of the ninth, Andruw Jones flied out to end the game.

Series tied at 2-2. :(

Sounds like a great game. Good luck in Game Five

I'm sorry for the delay, guys! Work has kept me pretty busy over the last few days, but I'm going to post a recap of Game 5 soon.

22-year-old rookie Gavin Floyd (1-0, 2.57 ERA) will start the game for the Phillies, while I'm going to send my ace Tim Hudson (2-0, 0.69 ERA) to the mound. Stay tuned...

This has been one of the most heart-breaking losses ever. With the game tied at 2-2 in the bottom of the eight, Geoff Jenkins hit a two-out homer to give my Braves the lead. I decided to leave Tim Hudson in the game, but made the switch after he allowed back-to-back single to start the ninth. Closer Danny Kolb took the mound and retired Pat Burrell for the first out. Up came Bobby Abreu, who singled to center field, thus allowing the tying run to cross home plate. With runners at the corners third baseman David Bell also singled to give the Phillies their first lead of the game. Luckily, I managed to get out of the inning without more runs being scored. The Phillies then brought in Billy Wagner in the bottom of the frame. Pinch hitter Julio Franco hit a two-out single, but Rafael Furcal grounded out the end the game.

It's so frustrating to see your most reliable players lose a game like that. Kudos to the Phillies, though. They fought back like champions and now lead the series 3-2.

With my Braves trailing in the NLCS 2-3, the series is heading back to Philadelphia for Game 6. Veteran left-hander Mike Hampton (1-0, 4.15 ERA) will get the start for Atlanta and Jon Lieber (0-1, 5.25 ERA) will take the mound for the Phillies.

Wish me luck!

The game started badly for my Braves when Jim Thome belted a two-run jack in the first inning to give the Phillies an early lead. However, Mike Hampton settled in after that and only gave up one run over the next four innings. Chipper and Adam LaRoche homered in the fifth to tie the game at 3-3. In the top of the sixth, I had runners on first and second with two outs and Chipper Jones at the plate. He came through big-time by hammering Jon Lieber's offering over the right field wall for his second home run of the night. With that three-run lead, I decided to bring in John Smoltz in relief of Hampton. Smoltzie, who had just returned from an injury, retired the side in order. In the bottom of the seventh, Mike Lieberthal got on base with a two-out single and Johnny Damon followed with a two-run homer, which cut my lead to a single run. The Phillies brought in pinch hitter Ryan Howard, so I went to my most reliable lefty in the bullpen, Valerio de los Santos. Still, Howard managed to single to center field, thus bringing up Jimmy Rollins as the potential go-ahead run. And just like in Game 3, when J-Roll hit a clutch grand slam in the seventh inning, Philly's shortstop delivered again. His two-run shot gave the Phillies the lead, which they took into the ninth. Closer Billy Wagner then entered the game. Wagner had converted his last three save opportunities against my team in the NLCS and was going for his fourth in as many games. But I wasn't dead yet. Andruw Jones singled to start the frame and Geoff Jenkins drew a walk. LaRoche then hit a ball deep to center field, but Damon was there in time to make the catch. Andruw advanced to third base on the fly ball, which meant that the tying run was only 90 feet away from home plate. Catcher Johnny Estrada had a chance to be a hero, but he grounded out into a series-ending 5-4-3 double play.

Game over! :sad:

Archived