~ Relive The Dyna'Sty ~ - A 2009 Season In Progress

JoeRudi26

~ INDIANS, PHILLIES ADVANCE TO WORLD SERIES ~

2zhi242.jpg

*I will take control of Cleveland and begin playing (and posting) the Series next week.*

Cleveland gets to face Cliff Lee. Oh, the irony.

I predict Fausto Carmona is gonna have a big series. His pitches are electric and his ratings are still a little heavy from his big year in 07. I feel bad for this dude, he went from 4th in Cy voting in 07 to a 5.44 ERA in 08 and a 6.32 in 09. In 07 he was 19-8 and to date (4 seasons) his career w-l record is 33-37. He has to be wondering "what happened?".

I'd imagine that facing the Phils lineup is about as "Suckish" as facing the Bronx Bombers.

No Lee, No Martinez, and they still make the WS. Who is raking/pitching well for them? Somebody has to be.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict Fausto Carmona is gonna have a big series. His pitches are electric and his ratings are still a little heavy from his big year in 07. I feel bad for this dude, he went from 4th in Cy voting in 07 to a 5.44 ERA in 08 and a 6.32 in 09. In 07 he was 19-8 and to date (4 seasons) his career w-l record is 33-37. He has to be wondering "what happened?".

I think Fausto's struggles can be explained by the fact that he is inhuman. This secret was exposed in the 2007 playoffs when an army of midges invaded Progressive Field and Fausto acted like they weren't there. Any normal human would have flipped out (see Joba Chamberlain). Now that his real identity has been uncovered, his daily struggles as a baseball playing space thing have carried onto the field, hindering his performance. His extraterrestrial-ness would also explain his poor teeth. (Off topic - but I'm sure Fausto originates from the same planet as basketball player Josh Childress, they both have poor oral hygiene).

But seriously, I think it's his control and batters just laying off of the sinker (which isn't as fast as it used to be). There's a lot of material on Fausto over on FanGraphs and it's worth a read.

Also, Go Tribe! Beat Philly!

Joe I love this Cleveland-Phillies World Series...by the way this series smell like a 7 game series

This was a fun game.  Because the game went 14 innings, the Boxscore Extracctor Play By Play was messed up, so I just didn't post it.  Philadelphia went up early 4-0 until the 6th inning, I (Cleveland) stormed back to tie it in the top of the 7th, they immediately took the lead again in the bottom of the 7th, and I came back again to tie it in the 8th.  After 6 full innings of back and forth baseball and some great defense, Philadelphia finally prevailed.

Wow, what a first game.   :drinks:

You had me at 'Steve Trachsel'. *grin*

Trachs is 3-0 in the playoffs?

Yeah, guess I just realized this too.  I haven't looked at (or posted) many end of season/post season stats.  I guess since it's not been my own team, the motivation to do so isn't quite there.  I'll have fun playing what's left of the games though, winter will be here all too soon.

I don;t know if anyone other than you would understand this (since you played a dynasty with the A's), but I cannot figure out what is tougher to do consistently: [1] score runs with the 25th rated offense, or [2] hold opponents with the 29th rated pitching staff (My Pirates/Stallions) dynasty.

It's like you just hope for walks and then a big hit (only multiple times in a game) on offense, and then on the mound you better not miss the meter by a millimeter or BYE-BYE, longball. The margin for error is minimal. I do find that stolen bases is/are a huge gamble b/c it could lead to a much needed run with just one hit or it could be the killer of perhaps you're only chance to put up more than 1 run.

It's challenging, frustrating, and wonderful all wrapped into one.

I'm finding, much like you did, even after 14 games that I am scrambling to find a call-up pitcher or hitter than can make a spark for a few games before I have to repeat the whole process over again ... especially with pitchers ('specially relievers).

I'm also finding that even when you do use the left stick and hit a ball very wel, unless you've got a decent amount of power rating, it's just a long fly ball, or occassionally a solid double down the line. There's only so many singles up the middle a team can get and still score runs, y'know?

The pitching is just unbelievably challenging. I have one pitcher that isn't garbage ... and may very be after some more games. It's ruckin' fediculous as I sometimes say.

FWIW, last night I simmed a season on Baseball Mogul ... CLE beat PHL in the WS 4-3.Hey JR, for a giggle, compare the pitch counts between the two teams in Game 3. WOW.

Hey, we all know that CLE is facing their old CY Cliff Lee in your series, but PHL is also facing two of their top prospects (former) in Donald and Marson. Interesting.

compare the pitch counts between the two teams in Game 3. WOW.

I know, it was apparent to me all game.  Something I've noticed over the course of this season with these sliders:  The lower the  pitch count (mine) in my games (I'm usually around 120), the more I'm likely to win.  In other words, for some reason in these types of games, the CPU swings earlier and more often in the count the whole game and they seem to find less holes.

Like I said, I really started noticing this in this particular game, and I paid attention to "how" I was pitching.  I didn't nibble, or pitch around anyone more or less than I had previously all year.  For some reason the AI just didn't take many strikes.  

It's been rare, but it does happen.

I know, it was apparent to me all game.  Something I've noticed over the course of this season with these sliders:  The lower the  pitch count (mine) in my games (I'm usually around 120), the more I'm likely to win.  In other words, for some reason in these types of games, the CPU swings earlier and more often in the count the whole game and they seem to find less holes.

Like I said, I really started noticing this in this particular game, and I paid attention to "how" I was pitching.  I didn't nibble, or pitch around anyone more or less than I had previously all year.  For some reason the AI just didn't take many strikes.  

It's been rare, but it does happen.

Yeah, when batters are both [1] hitting the 1st or 2nd pitch and [2] hitting it right at the fielders, that's the only way my starters effectively pitch into the 7th and 8th innings.

There's also the case of when I miss the meter target, I miss "early" which results in a ball aimed at the "left corner" ending up over the left half of the plate, instead of being far inside for a ball. That likely explains why I'm among the league leaders in HR allowed. If when you missed the meter, the automatic result was a ball, my pitch counts would be much higher ... but since I usually miss in the zone the results are "disaster". *grin*

Archived