~ Relive The Dyna'Sty ~ - A 2009 Season In Progress

JoeRudi26

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're looking for something to do in the meantime, the 1989 Cubs are on the 'Best of the 80s/90s' mod (and it can easily be put into MVP08). I'm playing the 87 cards, but not presenting.

I'd love to get my hands on a good PC College basketball game, I may even get the urge to present something.  I'm betting The Show gets it right next year, so I may take my time over the winter and throw a presentation together that justifies The Show's next gen graphics.  

Like I said, I wasn't really "finished" with baseball yet, so I'm already up for the challenge.   B)

This may be my favorite season of all time.  I started the season with basically nobody, and it only got worse.  I hung in there, and had to fight my a@@ off for everything I got.

That's getting your money's worth out of a video game.  It was a blast.   B)

Man, Jay... All Good Things must come to an end. Hell of a dynasty you played this year my friend. I loved following this one, because like you said: This was basically a team of no-names and you scraped and clawed your way to within 1 game of the post-season. Heck of a job man. :drinks:

I hear ya on a PC College Hoops game for the PC. Would love to see that myself. I also like the NBA (not as much as College Hoops though), and I'll be picking up NBA 2k10 for the PC this year. From all the early reviews from the OS guys, looks pretty good this year. Even has a "My Player" mode like The Show. If only the Dev team for NBA 2K could work on MLB 2K...

Thinking of snagging me a PS3 Slim this winter and then picking up The Show 10 next spring. Like you, I also think they will get it right next year.

Again, thanks for giving us all another fun, exciting, excellently presented dynasty to follow. Now come out of the cave, get some sunlight, and have a beer on me. You've earned it. :drinks:

Thanks, Rob.  I know there hasn't been much demand for this tired old game, and I realize there is even less demand to follow someone else's season, but for those of you guys that jumped in here every now and then to check it out, I do appreciate it.  As most everyone know's on this site (or any other sports gaming site), the big issue surrounding someone presenting a dynasty is the fact that almost none get taken to the end.  Aside from playing the game itself, my most important objective is to finish what I started, even if it is a 5 year old game.

To me, a person's word can be the most powerful thing they have, and when someone sees my name (JR26) attached to a dynasty, I want them to know they're going to get they're "money's worth".  I love playing the game, and I have fun presenting it, so it's a win-win situation all the way around for me, but finding the time to get it all done can be tricky.

That said, this is definitely my last year presenting an MVP Dynasty, and I've enjoyed anyone and everyone's input.  I'm just curious as to where this site will drift off to if something major comes out next spring, whether it be The Show or something else.  If anything, I guess I'll follow the herd to the next pasture.   ^_^

Anyway, good luck with the Sox and I'll most definitely keep following!

Okay time to start a fall dynasty JR. I need something to look at while I'm supposed to be working. Great job with the A's. You did way better than expected with the ragtag team you had. It was great to read about your progress. Don't give up on MVP in 2010. Looking forward to your next dynasty.

Thanks guys, like I said, it was fun, but you wouldn't believe how "stressful" it was not being able to get over the hump all year.  Of course, there are things in life that are obviously more important, but in the context of playing this game, I felt like I was walking on egg shells the entire season.  If I'd have been so far behind with no chance, I can almost gaurantee this team probably would have had more homeruns collectively, but when I could see chances of getting in the post season, I just never had any room whatsoever to gamble.  

I swear my wife thinks I'm about half crazy, there were times that I was so pizzed I'd (somewhat contained) yell obscenities, and there were times I was like "hell yeah!!.  Again, in the context of the game, it was truly a roller coaster of a season. B)   I can't imagine taking a summer off and not being able to play 162 games of baseball.  Somehow, somewhere, I'll be playing.

And don't get me wrong, the only way I will stop playing MVP is if something comes along that can compete with it's gameplay over the course of a whole season.  I can deal with mediocre graphics, but I see no sense in playing all year if it doesn't offer a solid game of baseball.  

Like I said, I'm going to gamble and say Sony finally gets it right next year, so I'll take the winter and step this thing up a notch for next spring.

Jay, I hear Uncharted 2 calling your name. :D

Oh man...I didn't forget.  The 13th right?  I'm all over it.   :D

Hey guys, I forgot to mention, I'll go ahead a post updates to the rest of the season to let everyone know how it ends.  Nothing fancy, just wins/losses throughout the playoffs.

Okay JR you did wonders with the A's but there is another team that needs your help. The Pirates. Since you did great with your last challenge imagine the fun you can have with the Buccs. What do you say? lol

I wouldn't mind doing a Royals dynasty someday, maybe the Indians.  But you're right, the Pirates may be the biggest challenge (besides Washington) there is.

Not sure what I'll do next year.

Joe, I have been looking forward to your updates every day for a while now. I have really enjoyed following this dynasty of yours.

Also, I downloaded the datafile and slider set you posted yesterday, what a combo (I now have my ideal balance!! I just played a see-saw game using the Indians against the Rangers where 9 total HR's were hit. Last night I played a 2-1 pitching duel between Aaron Harang and Johan Santana. Both were incredibly enjoyable. I really wanted to not only thank you for sharing those, but for sharing an entire season worth of baseball (and a season far more exciting IMO than the real thing)

Here's hoping you do another one sometime.

Joe, I have been looking forward to your updates every day for a while now. I have really enjoyed following this dynasty of yours.

Also, I downloaded the datafile and slider set you posted yesterday, what a combo (I now have my ideal balance!! I just played a see-saw game using the Indians against the Rangers where 9 total HR's were hit. Last night I played a 2-1 pitching duel between Aaron Harang and Johan Santana. Both were incredibly enjoyable. I really wanted to not only thank you for sharing those, but for sharing an entire season worth of baseball (and a season far more exciting IMO than the real thing)

Here's hoping you do another one sometime.

Thanks Josh!  Man, I'm glad to hear you're getting good results out of the slider/datafile combo.  I realize you have to factor in playing style as well, but my objective was to get a good balanced, overall game of baseball.  Glad to see someone else getting good results.

Anyway, thanks for following, and I'll definitely be back doing something soon.   B)

WELCOME TO THE 2009 MLB PLAYOFFS

(ALL GAMES SIMMED, I'll  TAKE CONTROL OF THE A.L. CENTRAL CHAMPION CLEVELAND INDIANS IN TOMORROW NIGHT'S GAME vs A.L. WILDCARD WINNER *BOSTON RED SOX)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~TODAYS GAMES~

NATIONAL LEAGUE

(Game 1)

Philadelphia Phillies*

vs

Los Angeles Dodgers

(Game 1)

Chicago Cubs

vs

New York Mets

AMERICAN LEAGUE

(Game 1)

Texas Rangers

vs 

Tampa Bay Rays

* = WILDCARD WINNER

RESULTS WILL BE POSTED LATER THIS EVENING

Thanks Josh!  Man, I'm glad to hear you're getting good results out of the slider/datafile combo.  I realize you have to factor in playing style as well, but my objective was to get a good balanced, overall game of baseball.  Glad to see someone else getting good results.

Anyway, thanks for following, and I'll definitely be back doing something soon.   B)

I'm still getting realistic results and gameplay with this combo. It is very enjoyable, with both the Diamondbacks (34-29) and my 87 StL (2-3) Cardinals dynasties.

I'm not sure how much flexibility there is with MLB10, but one idea I'd like to do if have the Pirates move to San Antonio (stay in the NL Central) to become 'The Stallions'. I already have unis made with a dark green, red, and white color scheme (my HS colors). It would give them a little bigger budget and I would allow for some fantasy trades/signings. It's the only scenario that could/would draw me to MVP for the 2010 season. I guess another possibility is to emulate Red Sox idea of division realignment based on region, market size, and rivalries (NYY, NYM, BOS, NYM in the 'Northeast division', for example).

I'm still getting realistic results and gameplay with this combo. It is very enjoyable, with both the Diamondbacks (34-29) and my 87 StL (2-3) Cardinals dynasties.

I'm not sure how much flexibility there is with MLB10, but one idea I'd like to do if have the Pirates move to San Antonio (stay in the NL Central) to become 'The Stallions'. I already have unis made with a dark green, red, and white color scheme (my HS colors). It would give them a little bigger budget and I would allow for some fantasy trades/signings. It's the only scenario that could/would draw me to MVP for the 2010 season. I guess another possibility is to emulate Red Sox idea of division realignment based on region, market size, and rivalries (NYY, NYM, BOS, NYM in the 'Northeast division', for example).

Great ideas, CC.  I think I'm going to have the wife "save" one of my Christmas presents and just go ahead and plan on getting The Show for next year.  If it doesn't pan out (and I'll know early on), then I may do something totally off the wall with MVP next year as well, play a season with a created team perhaps. 

What MVP (and High Heat) did right, and what most sports video game makers seem to miss when programming sliders (or the tune file, etc.), is versatility and variety.  To be able to achieve the gameplay from one spectrum to the other is the key, with enough options that you can cover all the important aspects of gameplay.  It's not throwing out "their" slider suggestion as a base for what they deem to be a realistic overall game, then leaving the gamer with a tight set of sliders that leave no room for end to end customization.

My point is, I think Sony probably gets this right for next year's title, the only problem is we're still left with the fact that it's a console game without all the extra utilities, which I guess I could handle for a single season if there is enough freedom with the rosters. 

I want Sony, Trip Hawkins, and EA to merge this winter so they can get a damn baseball game on the market by early March.  Then I'll stop bitchin'.   B)

Archived