Who Do You Think Makes The List?

BigPaPa

Who Done It?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the players do you think used Steroids?

• Derek Jeter
    • Tino Martinez
    • Paul Oneil
    • Bernie Williams
    • Albert Pujols
    • Chuck Knoublach
    • Darryl Strawberry
    • Jason Varitek
    • Johnny Damon
    • Mo Vaughn
    • Cal Ripken Jr.
    • Alfonso Soriano
    • Garret Anderson
    • Vlad
    • Mike Piazza
    • Carlso Delgado
    • Nomar
    • Ken Griffy Jr.
    • Magglio Ordonez
    • Frank Thomas

Im curious as to people suspicions.

Ive tried to pick guys whove been: involved with World Series teams over the past 10 years, have a shot of the HoF and guys who haven't been directly connected to Steroids as of yet. Write ins are also appreciated. I could only fit 20 in one poll so i tried to select 20 that i though might generate some buzz, i look foward to seeing your results.

and we ALL know Jeter is clean....

I question that. I think EVERYBODY wants him to be clean (Yes, I hate the Yankees, and Yes I hate Jeter, and think he is over rated in some areas of the game, but I think he played the game the right way, and hope he is clean).... But, I would not be the least bit surprised to see him on the list of 104.

By the way, he is not my pick. I am going with either Piazza, or Magglio.

I picked Darryl Strawberry, Soriano, Piazza and Nomar.

Strawberry simply because it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, given his other known experiments with certain substances. With that said, I hope he can get rid of his cancer.

Soriano due to both his injury history and the type of player he is, although he was a fringe pick.

Piazza due to the reports of his rather odd acne breakouts, as well as his relative health as a catcher - his recovery rates seemed great, especially for a catcher. We all know that steroids generally don't directly impact performance, but they do allow much faster recovery of the body from fatigue, which helps to build muscle and stamina.

Nomar - the guy seems permanently injured. Why wouldn't be surprised if he showed up to have tried a little something different to help recover from his injuries faster?

I don't understand the concept of steroids.... Why don't these get in the weight room? Are they just lazy?

The #1 benefit of steroids is RECOVERY.

Al the guys I know that have used steroids have done so because they want to work out MORE, not LESS. They're mind says yes all the time, their body says 'maybe, not today'. In simplest terms, steroids allows their body to say "Okay, let's go!"

Steroids prevent the breakdown of muscle also, allowing one to build faster. When you work out in the weight room you actually do 'damage' to your muscle (microtears in the fibers). Rest and nutrition help build back stronger than it was before (sort of similar to forming callouses). Steroids simply help the repair faster.

Like I said, the users I know wanted to workout all the time, doing brutal workout after brutal workout, and steroids allowed them to do that.

As many find out, steroids don't help joints recover (only rest does), and joint injuries are common after continual brutal workouts.

The other side are the ones who are either young and impatient or aging and don;t have 2-3 years to add the strength or muscle they want NOW.

You'd be surprised, You may think he's juiced, but through all this, with all these notable names coming out, his name has never come up.

In 2003, he was basically injured, and his numbers decreased rather signifcantly in the years following.

Previous to 2003, he was pretty much a monster, physically and statistically.

I don;t 'hope' anyone is a steroid user, but I also have some expereince and notice when red flags pop up.

I'm surprised so many are voting Soriano? [1] the guy is a freak, and [2] does his build resemble anything like the other names that have been positive or outed? He's also had injury setbacks and his career has 'degraded' the normal path.

If Ivan Rodriquez was on that list, he'd be my #1. Amazing recovery/durability as a catcher (catching in a state-TX-that is draining/hot, [2] The Texas connection, [3] his numbers have fallen off since 03/04 (testing started)

In 2003, he was basically injured, and his numbers decreased rather signifcantly in the years following.

Previous to 2003, he was pretty much a monster, physically and statistically.

I don;t 'hope' anyone is a steroid user, but I also have some expereince and notice when red flags pop up.

I'm surprised so many are voting Soriano? [1] the guy is a freak, and [2] does his build resemble anything like the other names that have been positive or outed? He's also had injury setbacks and his career has 'degraded' the normal path.

If Ivan Rodriquez was on that list, he'd be my #1. Amazing recovery/durability as a catcher (catching in a state-TX-that is draining/hot, [2] The Texas connection, [3] his numbers have fallen off since 03/04 (testing started)

In 2003, Piazza injured his groin severely when backing off a pitch against SF, he was out for almost half the summer, never was the same. And in the previous seasons leading up to 2003, he was going on a steady decline, 40, 38, 36, 33. Those were his home run numbers before 2003 in order. As a Met fan who saw him play live, he was just getting old. He suffered a few more injuries playing 1B for us in 2004, like his wrist. He was never the same. But, don't you think, a guy like Piazza, the way he played, how much of a hero he was in NY, don't you think his name would've been leaked already? I mean, Manny, A-Rod, Ortiz and many others were leaked, don't you think Piazza's name wouldve been released as well?

Derrek Lee should be on this list. Look up his 2005 stats vs every other season in his career.

lol. You just threw that out there because Pujols is going to be the face of this talk. Except, Dlee's numbers were peaking at the time he hit his 46 homers. Every year before, he was steadily getting to that mark. His numbers declined after that season due to a wrist injury, which who knows how long that could take to fully heal. This year, is the first time in a while I can tell he is healthy.

In 2003, Piazza injured his groin severely when backing off a pitch against SF, he was out for almost half the summer, never was the same. And in the previous seasons leading up to 2003, he was going on a steady decline, 40, 38, 36, 33. Those were his home run numbers before 2003 in order. As a Met fan who saw him play live, he was just getting old. He suffered a few more injuries playing 1B for us in 2004, like his wrist. He was never the same. But, don't you think, a guy like Piazza, the way he played, how much of a hero he was in NY, don't you think his name would've been leaked already? I mean, Manny, A-Rod, Ortiz and many others were leaked, don't you think Piazza's name wouldve been released as well?

It's possible.

I don't think there's *that* much interest in retired players that may have tested positive. Clemens or a current HoF'er would likely be the only ones people would go nuts over, and Clemens primarily because of the stand he's taken.

IMO, if Piazza used steroids, it could have been in the minor leagues. It's just hard for me to wrap my mind around the situation of a guy being drafted in the 68th round and then end up as a Hall of Famer.

lol. You just threw that out there because Pujols is going to be the face of this talk. Except, Dlee's numbers were peaking at the time he hit his 46 homers. Every year before, he was steadily getting to that mark. His numbers declined after that season due to a wrist injury, which who knows how long that could take to fully heal. This year, is the first time in a while I can tell he is healthy.

No. Derrek Lee hit 100 XBH in 2005, 31 more than his second highest season total.

He is a prime example of a guy using. His slugging percentage jumped 136 points over any other season and his OPS+ was 43 points higher.

He wasn't building towards anything. From 2002 to 2004, his SLG percentage jumped 10 points. From 2004 to 2005, his SLG percentage jumped 158 points!

You'd be surprised, You may think he's juiced, but through all this, with all these notable names coming out, his name has never come up.

The only time Sosa's name came up (other than fans, really, and just pure speculation) before a couple of weeks ago when his name was leaked, was the incident when that idiot SI reporter accused him of doing it because he wouldn't take a voluntary test.

Plus, he was like the 4th or 5th name on the list to be released. Why was he never actually linked to steroids before. Canseco never named him. The Mitchell report never named him. None of his fellow players already linked to it named him. No family members (like McGwire was) named him.

The only real "link" we had was his size, and his sudden ability to hit 60+ home runs.

Sure he was a safe bet to be on there, but he was never truly linked to steroids before his name was leaked, and that wasn't til about a month ago.

All I am saying is, just because his name has yet to be linked directly to steroids (Piazza), doesn't really mean anything. Like Sosa, there are too many Red flags in his career to make you think he isn't a possible candidate for the list of 104.

No. Derrek Lee hit 100 XBH in 2005, 31 more than his second highest season total.

He is a prime example of a guy using. His slugging percentage jumped 136 points over any other season and his OPS+ was 43 points higher.

He wasn't building towards anything. From 2002 to 2004, his SLG percentage jumped 10 points. From 2004 to 2005, his SLG percentage jumped 158 points!

I won't try to argue to hard, because I don't want to look too much like a Cubs/DLee fan boy.... But:

I could go through history and find a bunch of guys who were good major league hitters, who then suddenly exploded for one great (maybe HOF type) year. Then went back to be good major leaguers the next year. And I am talking pre 1990's steroid era.

Just off the top of my head, Hack Wilson's 1930 season. How about George Fosters 1977 season. Wally Post's 1955 season (though he is not a great example). Cy Williams 1923 season.

That's just off the top of my head. Look 'em up, and tell me they aren't a whole lot like Derrek Lee's one season jump. If I felt like really researching it, and wasting my time, I could probably find 50 more guys who had years like that. Don't assume just because he had one great year, he is automatically a user.

Archived