White Sox 87 (88 pitch/83 batt)

Rays 86 (92 pitch/77 batt)

Athletics 86 (87 pitch/80 batt)

Indians 86 (84 pitch/80 batt)

Mariners 82 (83 pitch/77 batt)

Royals 80 (86 pitch/68 batt)

Twins 77 (79 pitch/69 batt)

Astros 75 (78 pitch/68 batt)

I think these numbers are somehow okay. Some seem a little bit too high or a little bit too low but that is mostly depending on one or two players being in the lineup or not. E.g. when you take out Weaver of the Angels starting rotation the Angels get a 87 pitching rating. Or when you take out the Big Papi of the Red Sox batting lineup the Red Sox batting rating drops from 84 to 82.

But I ask myself how the overall team rating is calculated. Often it does not make much sense. The Tigers have a better pitching and a better batting rating than the Angels but the Angels get the higher overall rating. Same with Red Sox and the Rangers. But well, I do not care for overall ratings too much. And I don't know why pitching is always rated better than batting. Although some pitching staffs are really bad.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I decided to give you some more insight on those players I have edited already. I will give you a list with the 3 best players at each position who are on a 25 man roster of a MLB AL club.

C:

Joe Mauer (MIN) 86

Carlos Santana (IND) 83

Matt Wieters (BAL) 82

1B:

Prince Fielder (DET) 92

Albert Pujols (LAA) 92

David Ortiz (BOS) 92 (he should mostly play as DH because I gave him fairly low speed and fielding ratings)

2B:

Robinson Cano (NYY) 92

Dustin Pedroia (BOS) 88

Ian Kinsler (TEX) 84

3B:

Miguel Cabrera (DET) 95

Adrian Beltre (TEX) 93

Evan Longoria (TB) 90

SS:

Jose Reyes (TOR) 89

Elvis Andrus (TEX) 85

Erick Aybar (LAA) 83

LF:

Yoenis Cespedes (OAK) 90

Josh Willingham (MIN) 87

Alex Gordon (KC), Melky Cabrera (TOR) 85

CF:

Mike Trout (LAA) 94

Adam Jones (BAL) 90

Austin Jackson (DET) 88

RF:

Josh Hamilton (LAA) 94

Jose Bautista (TOR) 93

Alex Rios (CWS) 89

SP:

Justin Verlander (DET) 96

David Price (TB), Felix Hernandez (SEA), 93

Jered Weaver (LAA) 92

RP:

Ernesto Frieri (LAA) 85

Ryan Cook (OAK) 84

Darren O'Day (BAL), Jesse Crain (CWS), Andrew Bailey (BOS) 83

CL:

Casey Janssen (TOR) 88

Fernando Rodney (TB) 87

Jim Johnson (BAL), David Robertson (NYY), Grant Balfour (OAK), Joel Hanrahan (BOS) 86

As I said earlier I use formulas to create every single rating. Looking at those ratings I think my formulas are not too bad. ;)

Perhaps a little bit more (don't see this as a spam or advertising, it helps me to have an overview):

Hitters:

ConR:

Josh Hamilton (LAA), Miguel Cabrera (DET), Joe Mauer (MIN) 90

Robinson Cano (NYY) 88

David Ortiz (BOS) 84

ConL:

Miguel Cabrera (DET) 96

Billy Butler (KC) 89

Jose Altuve (HOU) 88

PowR:

Adam Dunn (CWS) 97

Jose Bautista (TOR) 96

David Ortiz (BOS), Curtis Granders (NYY) 91

PowL:

Jose Bautista (TOR) 99

Miguel Cabrera (DET) 94

Evan Longoria (TB) 91

Out by Strikeouts:

Adam Dunn (CWS), Mark Reynolds (IND) 99

Tyler Flowers (CWS) 95

Kelly Shoppach (SEA) 94

Walks:

Jose Bautista (TOR) 99

Adam Dunn (CWS) 97

Carlos Santana (IND) 94

Speed:

Peter Bourjos (LAA) 97

Drew Stubbs (IND) 94

Jacoby Ellsbury (BOS), Michael Bourn (IND), Jarrod Dyson (KC), Mike Trout (LAA), Rajai Davis (TOR) 93

Fielding Range:

Peter Bourjos (LAA) 99

Michael Bourn (IND), Brett Gardner (NYY) 94

Austin Jackson (DET) 93

Glove:

Brendan Ryan (SEA) 94

Franklin Gutierrez (SEA) 93

Adrian Beltre (TEX) 92

Arm Strength:

Jeff Francoeur (KC), Nick Markakis (BAL) 99

Nelson Cruz (TEX), Robinson Cano (NYY) 96

Mike Moustakas (KC) 95

Arm Accuracy:

Adrian Beltre (TEX), JJ Hardy (BAL), Brendan Ryan (SEA), Robinson Cano (NYY) 94

Matt Wieters (BAL) 93

Alex Gordon (KC) 91

Fielding Anticipation:

Brendan Ryan (SEA) 97

Peter Bourjos (LAA) 95

Franklin Gutierrez (SEA), Evan Longoria (TB), Dustin Pedroia (BOS) 94

Pitchers:

ConR:

Justin Verlander (DET) 98

Fernando Rodney (TB) 94

Vinnie Pestano (IND) 91

ConL:

Justin Verlander (DET) 95

David Price (TB) 93

RA Dickey (TOR) 92

PowR:

Josh Johnson (TOR), Felix Hernandez (SEA), Fernando Rodney (TB), Justin Verlander (DET) 92

Joe Smith (IND) 91

Pedro Strop (BAL) 89

PowL:

Felix Hernandez (SEA) 90

David Price (TB) 89

Matt Thornton (CWS), Justin Verlander (DET), Jim Johnson (BAL) 88

Strikeout:

Ernesto Frieri (LAA) 99

David Robertson (NYY), Vinnie Pestano (IND) 98

Greg Holland (KC) 95

Walks:

Mike Kohn (LAA) 92

Andrew Miller (BOS) 91

Tim Collins (KC) 89

Stamina:

Felix Hernandez (SEA), David Price (TB), CC Sabathia (NYY), Justin Verlander (DET), Jered Weaver (LAA) 99

RA Dickey (TOR), James Shields (KC) 98

Jake Peavy (CWS), Hiroki Kuroda (NYY) 94

Control:

RA Dickey (TOR) 93

Justin Verlander (DET) 90

Jered Weaver (LAA) 88

Composure:

Jered Weaver (LAA) 99

David Price (TB) 94

Fernando Rodney (TB), Casey Janssen (TOR) 92

Looks pretty realistic to me. I think it's also important to check how it plays, in order to better adjust the sliders.

But great work so far. Looking forward to see it.

You are right. I play test games with every team to see how it plays out. There are always different results. Sometimes high scoring, sometimes low scoring. Sometimes the SP goes into the 8th inning, sometimes he has to be pulled after 2 innings, etc.

Lol sorry my mistake, I had Rivera at the AAA Scranton. Of course he is above 88. Mo is a 92 OVR and so he is the best closer in the AL. My mistake took place because I put him down to Scranton when he was injured and forgot to call him up.

More or less a slider set of my own. I used the slider set from Mkharsh (over at operationsports.com) some time and tweaked it a little bit. Feeling quite good right now.

When I am finished I will offer you my sliders, too.

I finished the 25 man roster of the Braves. The team rating calculations seem more and more confusing to me. Although the braves have the Upton brothers (Justin 88, BJ 84), Heyward (90), and Freeman (83) their hitting rating is a calculated 79. But they get 93 in pitching (which seems quite realistic - strong rotation, strong BP).

I know that set. Last year I think they worked a little better, but they're good. I recently tried hetfield426's set and they seemed to produce more realistic results in terms of gameplay. Also dependes on whether you use total contral vs classic pitching/hitting. I use both on classic.

And I always adjust the sliders a bit too.

Yeah I know that his ISO and HR numbers are always better vs. RHP. But you must not forget the fact that he does not see many AB against LHP where he even can hit. You must remember that his OBP last year against LHP was way higher than against RHP (.441 vs. .375). This is because he was walked 17.9% by LHP and only 6.2% by RHP. When you get walks all the time you will not get much chances. And especially against LHP who tend to are less frequent compared to RHP.

Please do not always look only at those raw numbers like AVG, HR, 2B and so on. They never tell the whole story.

Higher numbers against LHP will produce more walks for Miguel Cabrera against LHP. Simple as that.

btw, I can't wait for either your's or WB's rosters to come out, so I can add it into my game.

x2.

Why don't you guys work on this together? You have what seems to be a great system to rate players and create rosters, and he seems to be working on stuff like schedules, etc. Just a suggestion :good:

I don't know how to do that either, but it's a shame that you can't merge your efforts.

I'm not sure if any of the editors has an import or export function or how do they work for that matter, but I'm guessing that would be something that you'd need to work together.

The better case scenario would be a merger between both of your rosters AND being able to move Houston to the AL along with correct schedules. But this is just me dreaming and I have zero knowledge of MLB2k12 patching.

Yeah I know what you mean. But editing the schedule and/or the Houston move to the AL always caused problems (either crashes in long term or even short term) and I didn't find honest and satisfying solutions. I do not want to release a roster that has a high chance to crash after the first season or even after a few games.

No editor has an import function either. This is the next problem. I played around with both available editors (the one by Vlad and the one by Ty Wiggins) and tried some simple moves via copy and paste from one roster to another and it happened multiple times that the roster file could not be loaded in the game anymore. When trying to load the roster it simply made bang and I found myself back at the desktop.

That caused also multiple re-starts for me to edit the rosters all over again. And when you keep in mind that editing one MLB team (only the 25 man roster) including transactions, numbers and position edits, lineup and rotation changes and especially the rating edits, takes about 2-3 hours of work you get an imagination how annoying those crashes are. And remember, that was only one MLB team without its affiliates.

After realizing that copying stuff from one roster file to another hurts more than it helps I drew a line under a roster project that has been worked out by more than one person.

Of course it still would be possible that more than one person contributes in a roster projects. But the problem is that you would have to set up something like a schedule, meaning that you would have to set fixed dates on which one person could work. But on this date or in this time the other person simply could do nothing. But when you have someone like me who can not predict his freetime that is simply impossible.

We have some great football managers (called Anstoß or now Football Manager) over here in Europe and those games offer editors with them. In these editors there are different import and export options and so a ton of people can work on the database at the same time. This is possible because the database in this game is separated in different smaller databases. In MLB 2k you have only one big database.

These are the problems. Just a little explanation...

I get it, and thank you for the explanation.

The schedule and Houston to AL is something that is bound to give trouble to whoever tries to do it.

From what I've read around here, parts of the database are hard-coded, not text or number based values in a database. Those include schedules and division assignaments.

Other stuff that I've read and I'm sure you read too, is that roster crashes are happening mainly due to not enough or too many players in a given team. With all the time you've put into this I'm guessing you've researched and tried different methods too.

It might be that when you updated one team, it somehow messed with other team's minimum available hitters or pitchers and it caused the game to crash upon loading.

I'm thinking the best thing is as you go along and update each team you make a backup and lock it in a swiss bank vault, otherwise, like you said, you run the risk of ruining all your work.

I really think this is a great project. Anyway, I'm just trying to help by sharing a few thoughts. I really don't have much of how modding in 2k12 works, but if there's anything I can help with, just shoot.

It is all appreciated! Maybe there is a solution for the schedule/Houston+AL thing. But to be honest, when we don't get a solution then I won't grieve over it. I like this game too much for it. :D

I am doing always some backups right now. Finished the Brewers MLB team today. Weak pitching (81), good hitting (85). :D

Ryan Braun is the first 99 ovr player in the game. I do not know how those ovr numbers are calculated. He is not that much better than Miggie Cabrera for example. He only is faster and plays LF.