MVP not starting after Windows 7 9-8-15 Updates

Gordo

Since this was brought up in the shout box, figured we should get a thread going on this in case this turns convoluted.  Kyleb first indicated that MVP won't start after Windows 7 updates were installed from about 9/8/15.  I can confirm this is a problem.  I can also confirm that a barebones install of MVP would not start, nor would it start from an alternate HDD.  I also tried various compatibility modes (W98, XP w/ SP 2, etc.) to no avail.

Seems there were 10 M$ Windows updates labeled either security updates or the generic update:

24uz31c.jpg

It seems there are 40+ Office updates (as I only have the Student edition), though I doubt anything there would have interferred.  Only thing to do is uninstall the updates Windows updates 1 by 1 and see if there's any effect.

Addendum:  well after I saw that Windows was going to require me to restart my PC after each uninstall, I decided to delete them all and restart.  After that, MVP DID in fact start up. Now it's a matter of which one of these is the culprit.  Maybe looking at the details of each one would provide a hint, but not holding my breath. Also, my TW08 game did start up before the removal of these, so there's something about MVP it didn't like.

One thing maybe someone can try is to do a fresh MVP install and then maybe move the data sub-folder over from their mod of choice.

Addendum 2:  This might be it:   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

From the summary:  In addition to the changes that are listed for the vulnerabilities that are described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097, this security bulletin addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver. This may affect the ability to run some older games.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you SO much for looking into this. I did the registry edit linked in Addendum 2 (copied below), set the driver's service to automatic, then rebooted and it seems to have done the trick. I'll report back if anything wonky pops up. Thanks again!

Or, you can edit the registry directly. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
  3. Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
  4. In the Value data box, do one of the following:
    • Type 4 to disable the driver's service, and then click OK.
    • Type 3 to set the driver's service to manual, and then click OK.
    • Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK.
  5. Exit Registry Editor.

Oh ok, so you kept the update and just did the registry work around?  Because I did the updates but omitted that one security update and the game did work, so that was definitely the culprit.  I'll have to re-DL that 1 update and then try the registry edit and report back.

I installed that culprit update and did the registry fix.  Confirming that Kyleb's choice "Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK" is the one to use.  Rebooting the PC after making this registry change is key.

I would also backup your registry just in case.  You simply right click on "Computer" in the left hand column and select export.  I would suggest naming it something like the date of the backup and regbak or something like that.  It will save it as a reg file to whatever location you choose.

Thank you guys so much!!!  I feared that microsoft would put my dynasty out of service..  Im going to do this, see if it works for me.. I have windows 8.1

Ok I did the check, changed the number from 4 to 3 and restarted..  I started mvp and got a notice that some features were not permitted or something, and I simply clicked allow access..  The game is loaded, it seems to work fine.. Im off to continue my dynasty...

You guys are awesome, thanks again for this update, Im sure there are some who havnt noticed the microsoft update has shut the game down, and will come looking.

@ leekt :  no, not necessarily.  We're talking about the security updates M$ recently placed on W7.  Read again above to clarify.  If you're not having trouble starting your MVP game on your W7 PC, then either you haven't received/installed the updates yet or you got lucky (somehow). 

You don't need to install individual updates unless that's how you normally do it. 

@ Deuce:  good idea that people try the various options indicated in kyle's posting to see what works for them.  As KC has it, there are command prompts for people who don't like monkeying in their registry.

If "Windows key + X" doesn't work for you, type "cmd" in your search window (from the Start button) and right click on "cmd.exe", right click, and choose "run as administrator".  Also, when I tried this initially, the cmd box prompted me to have a space after the "=" sign.

The registry edit worked great. You guys are wonders at figuring this stuff out. i thought is was just something wrong with my computer. Thanks for all the help and support you guys give. I feel sorry for the people who don't follow this site. They all probably just threw there discs out the window yesterday.

The registry edit worked great. You guys are wonders at figuring this stuff out. i thought is was just something wrong with my computer. Thanks for all the help and support you guys give. I feel sorry for the people who don't follow this site. They all probably just threw there discs out the window yesterday.

not if they keep an xp machine just for this game :)

This thread suited the needs of this old head EXTREMELY well. I kept running into the brick wall of program death every time I tried to run MVP 05.exe. I just purchased and received a CD version of MVP 2005 and am anxious to get going.  Became a member a while back when I fond this community. The mods are incredible and the advice on here is excellent. The thread above is indicative of the knowledge on display here.

I am fairly decent with all this computer upkeep but those last Windows 7 updates did me in. All is well once again in Clarence, PA.

The Nvidia 960 GTX SSC 4gb card in my machine is gonna dig this game....I can't wait to get this classic running again! Job well done, and YES, this thread is very important moving forward!!!!

Now, to go get the first patch for MVP 15 and get it installed. Also, TiT installer is the bomb....you guys have it all covered! Rock on MVPMODS and Lets Go Bucs!

Human Stain...now that's a guy that's gonna go places. Certainly a draft pick to watch

I'm informing my scouts to keep a close eye on him. But there is word he may have trouble with the curve.

On a serious note, this is why I have stuck with XP for so long. Not knocking new OSs, but it always seems like the more they update them, the more problems they cause for older games. But also on that note, BRAVO gentlemen. Bravo! Well done solving this issue.

Human Stain is the name of an original song one of my metal bands performs. I just liked it for a moniker. Yes, be sure to track this guy closely...ha ha...

I have another machine with XP on it, but the video card is junk, so....until I update that I am stuck on Windows 7. Everything is working well now and once again thanks for the great information found here. Batters Up!!!

the 750 ti would be overkill for mvp, especially on an xp machine but it's the best that doesn't require power.  not all video cards need a power supply to them.  you can pretty much use about any video card you find on craigslist for as little as $10 and it'll play mvp just fine.  just about any upgrade over onboard graphics will be more than enough for mvp on an xp build.

Archived