Homer's Classics

Homer

Very nice.  I too am in the process of building an XP machine just for MVP2005.  

Our IT department at work replaced a number of old Windows XP PC's on the manufacturing floor and raffled off the old ones for free.  I was able to get one of them so I grabbed one of the mini-towers and they threw in a keyboard, a mouse and a Windows XP Pro CD.

When I opened up the PC, I found (along with a LOT of dust) that it only had PCI slots.  Even though it does play the game, at a minimum I wanted a PC with an AGP slot so I could add a graphics card, like our 2004-era office PC at home that I currently use to play the game.

Lately, eBay has been my new best friend.  I bought a motherboard (2.8 GHz Pentium with 512 MB RAM) with an AGP slot for $23 and the same video card (Nvidia GeForce 6200 with 512 MB RAM) I have in our office PC for $5.  I bought 2 GB of memory for $10 and some Arctic Silver cleaner and thermal paste for $10 since the CPU heat sink has to be reattached.  All together with shipping, I've spent about $75.  I still need to get a monitor, but I've got a 17 inch monitor from work that I can use for a little while.  I've seen some used 19" flat screens on eBay for $30 - $40, so I'll pick one up at some point.

Now I just need to find the time to put it all together, reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Kind of sounds like what I went through.  I eventually found a non-profit that sells used computers and they have tons of old core 2 duo machines for $50 so I grabbed a mini tower.  I ended up returning it for a mid size tower because my graphics card wouldn't fit.  I also had an ssd lying around so it was just perfect.  Just got it networked so I can access files on my computer with ease and not have to be burdened by intrusions from using the internet on it.  But it's up and running and hooked up to my same monitors, so I switch back and forth.  The only shame is that I can only hook up to two monitors because the gpu isn't strong enough to run three.  But man MVP and photoshop run so smooth on a clean install of XP.  

1 hour ago, Homer said:

But man MVP and photoshop run so smooth on a clean install of XP.  

That's what I am hoping for on my "new" PC.  It's been years since I reformatted the hard drive on our office PC, and even though I regularly run tools to keep it clean, I can definitely notice that it's slowed down.  With nothing but MVP and maybe a few other tools on this PC, I'm excited to see how it performs.

If you ever get a chance to switch to an ssd, it's really smooth.  But so far I don't have anything else installed except CCleaner, MVPedit, and oedit.  Runs really fast.  Photoshop opens right up and doesn't lag at all.  I know over time it'll slow down, but I'm going to backup the fresh install to an image file and reinstall it if it starts to slow.

i'm not a fan of laptops for this.  If you want an xp machine for a laptop, you need to get a gaming laptop with a dedicated graphics card.  so a dell xps, alienware, or something like that.  but the thing about these generation of chips is that they run hot, so those laptops aren't as durable as a desktop.  it'll be harder to come by for one that's in working order.  desktops are just a lot easier to work with.

On 4/26/2016 at 8:00 PM, Homer said:

i'm not a fan of laptops for this.  If you want an xp machine for a laptop, you need to get a gaming laptop with a dedicated graphics card.  so a dell xps, alienware, or something like that.  but the thing about these generation of chips is that they run hot, so those laptops aren't as durable as a desktop.  it'll be harder to come by for one that's in working order.  desktops are just a lot easier to work with.

I know Homer. I just don't really want to have another desktop laying around.  My Desktop now is quite large for cooling needs. 8 core AMD 9590 running at 5.1 GHz.  And what a power hungry monster.  220w dedicated to the chip alone.

I see what you mean.  I have a corsair 800d case, so it's huge.  So yeah having another desktop takes up some room.  I got lucky because I have a nice large desk, so I made it work.  Plus I like being able to hook it up to my monitors rather than a laptop screen.  None the less, if you can find an old gaming laptop with a pentium 4 or core 2 chip, you should be good to go.  

when I first started modding, I had an HP Pavillion zd8000 with a pentium 4 in it, and it ran smoothly.  It was pretty high end at the time but that sucker ran hot.  My friends had more basic models and the game ran, but there were times that it was choppy.