Cyberfaces For Beginners- MLB 2K-MOD 2017

Jed

On 2/9/2021 at 1:13 AM, LetsGoFish2015 said:

Good call, Y4L! That makes sense. I was just curious bc for a while recently, there was a flurry of activity in here. I didn't mean to cause trouble. I just was curious what, if anything, is in the works. I know it's a slow time right now. It's very rare lately when this thread is dormant for a long time, and I was just inquiring in general.  

I'm fine guys, thanks for caring. Unfortunately I don’t have much time to work. My next project is Tingler, manager of the San Diego Padres.

1.thumb.png.04dfb464f2bed069288f3d1aa9d70f6f.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/14/2021 at 9:37 AM, Jed said:

I'm fine guys, thanks for caring. Unfortunately I don’t have much time to work. My next project is Tingler, manager of the San Diego Padres.

1.thumb.png.04dfb464f2bed069288f3d1aa9d70f6f.png

I like your Tingler. I would like to add him to my game when he is finished the only problem Is that with the 2020 Roster The Manager of the Padres is Andy Green" and I don't know how to change that, and in the "MLB2K12 CF Master Sheet" Jayce Tingler is in there with a face Id of 8046. How would we be able to change Andy Green to tingler to be able to input his face?

6 hours ago, jarmusic2 said:

I like your Tingler. I would like to add him to my game when he is finished the only problem Is that with the 2020 Roster The Manager of the Padres is Andy Green" and I don't know how to change that, and in the "MLB2K12 CF Master Sheet" Jayce Tingler is in there with a face Id of 8046. How would we be able to change Andy Green to tingler to be able to input his face?

Try to create it in the REDitor II program .... You have it in the download section ...

1.thumb.png.3f9af7c88ea489eb2cd27273b30ae73a.png

12 hours ago, Jed said:

Try to create it in the REDitor II program .... You have it in the download section ...

1.thumb.png.3f9af7c88ea489eb2cd27273b30ae73a.png

Yes I did some digging and found the Program and got it to work. I was able to change Andy Green to Jayce Tingler and Get the correct Face Id. Now I just have to wait for your Sweet Face mod. Thanks again for all your hard work. Your Tingler is Spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Bostonnico @Jed Let me know what face textures I can try to rip from RBI 21 for you guys to work with.

This is what Randy Arozarena's face texture looks like for RBI 21. In RBI, the faces have the eyeballs, hands, and mouth included. I think the arm texture too but I'm not sure.

I think this can be warped or cut around to fit 2K12's face layout.

ArozarenaRandy_Albedo.png

11 minutes ago, scottybilly said:

This could be great. How are the graphics as far as cyberfaces go as well as the number of player cyberfaces created by the developers compared to 2K?

Glad you asked.

2K12 is an almost 10 year old game a couple of generations old, so the texture work for it's time was small because of hardware limitations (the X360 had 512GB RAM for example and the PS3 had 256MB). On RBI, most textures are in 1024x1024 quality like Arozarena and the lighting across the board is handled by the hardware it plays on and not so much baked in compared to the games of the mid 2000s.

There are a significant amount of player faces given that they don't have minor league rosters in the game, so at the most you'll have most of any team's roster with a cyberface, but you'll run into some generic faces here and there. In RBI the process of including a face at least from MLBAM's side sounds simple, just adding in the headshape, texture and assign it to a player as part of their roster updates. It helps that their "ID" system is basically whatever the player ID is on MLB.com so it's easy to find who is who, like Gerrit Cole for example.

sounds cool. can you try to create a cyberface for 2K yourself using the RBI textures and show us what you needed to do as far as fitting into 2K's cyberface textures layout? I am deeply curious to see how these would effect the 3D head model for a player with long hair, dreads, big beard etc.  And if each RBI cyberface includes a unique arm texture, then can tattoos be added. If it works out as well as I hope it does, I would pretty much just request you to take your time and rip face textures from RBI on a team by team basis and maybe post them in the downloads section. 

53 minutes ago, scottybilly said:

sounds cool. can you try to create a cyberface for 2K yourself using the RBI textures and show us what you needed to do as far as fitting into 2K's cyberface textures layout? I am deeply curious to see how these would effect the 3D head model for a player with long hair, dreads, big beard etc.  And if each RBI cyberface includes a unique arm texture, then can tattoos be added. If it works out as well as I hope it does, I would pretty much just request you to take your time and rip face textures from RBI on a team by team basis and maybe post them in the downloads section. 

I have no clue how to do cyberfaces. In theory from texture work I've done with uniforms, you can probably do heavy warping on the textures from RBI and see how they fit on the 2K12 headshape and adjust the UV mapping accordingly.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to add anything inherently new to 2K12 outside of just providing possible face textures for players we can't collectively find a source for. Additionally, hair can't be imported. I think it throws the checksum off on headshapes in 2K12 and crashes things. On the NBA games it works out fine though, but not on the MLB 2K games.

My initial thought was to just apply the existing dreadlock/long hair/facial hair parts that 2K already has for created players to the headshape that has all of those parts included (which should be in the global). You would just need to replace the headshape with the one for that particular player. Ideally this would work, but the tools we have are very limited as far as what we can do with 3D shapes.

As far as tattoos, arm textures in 2K12 are universal based on skin tone. Same reason why we don't have individual player sleeves in 2K12 as well. Those were things that didn't get implemented into baseball games until like 2017, because I know MLB The Show didn't have that in 16 or earlier.

Personally, I think we've exhausted what we could do with the tools we've been given to mod 2K12. Only thing left right now I feel is to tinker with the .ROS files and see what we can adjust within the game's engine.

1 hour ago, Kccitystar said:

I have no clue how to do cyberfaces. In theory from texture work I've done with uniforms, you can probably do heavy warping on the textures from RBI and see how they fit on the 2K12 headshape and adjust the UV mapping accordingly.

it's definitely something I want to try and I agree with Scottybilly you can share these textures with us. Send me some by PM and I will try to adapt it to 512x512 which is the size of the cyberface texture in MLB2k. the shape of the texture is very similar to MLB2k although in the hair part they are a little different, and for the rest it does not matter I will only use the facial part. thanks @Kccitystar for always looking to improve this video game

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends, good afternoon, please help me I want to unzip the file portrait.cdf and portrait.iff and change some portrait ID number of the players and I don't know how to do it, I want to unzip the two files and keep the folder with the DDS files and your ID numbers

• 4 weeks later...

Archived