Faces

AlexTony

If they have long hair, then you would WANT the hair wider than the cap. You WANT it to stick out. I have long hair, when I put on a baseball cap, it makes my hair stick out on the sides. You want to make it look messy and random. I'm able to get an effect of hair over the ears as long as part of the ear is left showing. If the ear gets covered, then it looks like someone painted the side of the face and the 3D quality is lost. But I work as little in oedit as I can--if there's a way to tweak it in photoshop, I'll go for that. Oedit is the hardest to use 3D editing program I've worked with, it took me a day to figure out how to look at the figures. What I'm going to have to do for some of these, (like DiMaggio's chin) is save the file as something I can open in my real 3D editing program.

I think I should put out my own tutorial because I do it differently and faster than anyone else, but it's based alot on intuition and chance. I'll explain at some point. This is somethig that non-artists could do also if you keep the Oedit parts to an absolute minimum. Most of the faces I've done I NEVER made o files out of. And I have a decent success ratio in making faces, I think, in terms of them coming out resembling who they are supposed to resemble. I think it's like baseball, if you get 1 in 3, you're doing well.

EDIT: Oh I see you mean at cap level, so it will look like holes in the cap. Gotcha.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know the difference in creating cyberfaces with the half-face .fsh as oppose to the full face? Ive followed 69yanks' instructions and found that it keeps crashing when i use the half-face .fsh file. This is extremely frustrating since i should have released Darryl Strawberry a long time ago.

You need to make the bmp for the fsh 128 wide and 256 tall. It won't work on everyone's machine though, some people will have to play with it at medium detail. The half faces work for me though. Make sure the ord and orl you're using are also 2004 versions and that you check the 04 box next to player face number in mvpedit.

Peter:

A tutorial would be great as I spend too much time on a face. I want to redo or improve Mantle but I think you have the talent to do this, please do it for us. Can't wait for Maris. Thanks so much for your work and give me some tips ASAP.

Jogar-- yeah, I decompress and extract the fsh, orl and ord using biggui. You can copy and rename orl and ord files differently and audition faces on them, this goes for the half faces and the full faces.

69Yanks--Your tutorial is mostly what I would write already, I just sort of cheat or skip over the tough parts and look for workarounds. It's more luck and keeping at it for hours than talent, but if you are decent at photoshop that helps alot. I'm trying to learn this 3D program so I hope by this time next year manipulating meshes is easier for me. At that point I might do it more your way, if there were something like this game around in a year. I think your Mantle and the one in the game are both fine, I don't want to redo your work! You've been doing this lots longer than I have, please keep going. The more different approaches the better, I like what you do.

EDIT: Fuzz tells me my faces will start being in Total Classics starting with Phase Two but they are not in Phase One. Just in case there's any confusion.

Sorry to post this in this forum, but I figured one of you guys could answer it. I exported c064.bmp from the models file in mvp2005, spent the day with photoshop, which I pretty much have down pat. Now here's my problem...I have read in another thread that you can bypass the oedit part all together, and put it into the game by trial and error. So what do I do now with the bmp file I have edited with Photoshop...hope someone can give me a hand. Thanks.

open the fsh file you want to put it into (and that you should have matched your eyes, nose and mouth to in photoshop) with FSHed, import the new bmp file (saved as 128 wide by 256 tall), and save as the c number you need it to be. I always make sure to type the .fsh after when saving but I'm not sure if that matters or if I'm superstitious. Hope that helps. But expect it to look wrong in surprising ways and keep trying.

shoot....I cant figure it out then...saved like I was told too...and fshed says the btmp is invalid...oh well, wanted to get used to making cyberfaces so I could contribute...

I had that problem too, save it as a jpeg in photoshop, re-open that jpeg in EA Graphics Editor and save it as a bmp. FshED should read it now. Don't ask how I figured that one out. 8O I just did.

Lemme know if that worked.

Cocobee....thanks for the advice...everything worked fine.

Face is in the game when I started it...but it crashed when I came up to bat...I will good=f around tomorrow, and see if I can figure it out...I am excited that I made a face though...it's a start, thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it!

Ha, it's not my thread, I don't have a thread. John Rocker is back in the game, so I'm sure someone will do his face soon. Is Canseco on any of the Total Classics teams? I have to print out the team list and have it handy, I can't remember these things. Right now I'm trying to build up a library of old-timer faces for use with Fuzz and AlexTony's Total Classics project. Once that's done I'm willing to entertain any other patrons or barter offers. Like I'd trade a face for help with a uniform or with a stadium, I want to learn to do those next for my own personal projects.

Archived