Faces

AlexTony

??? Okay, let's cancel the release of the card set if one out of the team has hair slightly different from how he looked on tv or something. I don't see what you guys are seeing, and I've certainly explained clearly enough how to make your own if you don't like mine. His hair looks fine.

I mean if that were my biggest worry, I'd be really happy. Check out how much trouble I'm having putting color back in Rogers Hornsby's face.

hornsbycu1.jpg

I'm doing what I can based on what materials I have been able to acquire through hours and hours of searching. You have to accept each of them as being the best I've gotten to so far and also understand I'm trying to make headstarts on as many faces as possible. I'd like to have faces on every TC team eventually that at least somewhat resemble the real guys. Things like how dark the dark hair is I hope are getting resolved at some point in the future, I'm just trying to get in the neighborhood now with the likenesses. You have to accept it for what it is, I'm not being employed by EA and I don't have their resources.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you think I'm not calm if I don't respond positively to people being overcritical? If I responded positively, I would be encouraging behavior that I would rather discourage.

To the person who wanted Dale Murphy--I can't find large shots of him from the front, but I know they exist. If you can find them, please send them to me or post them here, thanks. From the front not smiling not from below or from above.

OEDIT:

I am able to edit the the mesh of the 2005 both side of face player and load them back in but not the one side face versions. Thanks for doing Mattingly.

I see you are putting color back into the faces. What tool are you using? I use PaintShopPro7. Reason I ask is that there are some good B&W photos that sounds like could be colorized. Is it a long drawn out process?

BTW, started to capture all of the faces in the game by using Fraps. Each player snapshot is about 3MB. The Angels are totaling 93MB. This is so a mesh can be found more quickly rather than fooling with Oedit so much.

Well, how are you doing it?

I use various means in Photoshop, from hue and saturation to color balance to painting the faces pink.

BTW about the facepack coming out this week:

since Fuzz is giving me the ability to install a bunch of faces at once, there are a few faces that really aren't there yet that I am planning on inserting in the game. I won't plug them or make a big deal out of them because they don't look right yet. But I will be using ones that look closer than a generic face. For instance, if I can get a guy's distinctive moustache or sideburns, I will go for it even if his eyes nose and mouth don't look right yet. So I know already about Sparky Lyle, don't write me critical notes. At least he has a big moustache light eyes and long burns. I'm not here to entertain you, this is a group process where we all help each other entertain ourselves. If you think you can do better, I'll try to give you advice along the way to help. You can open the Koufax face and make his hair purple if you want to and re-release it, if people like yours, that's the one they'll download. Freedom of choice rules. That's the lesson for today, now class dismissed.

69Yanks, I need oedit lessons from you.

A jpg "baseball card" set is being made to accompany the face pack. Here are the first 9, I'm not sure how many faces will be in the first pack, probably over 20. Baseball card idea by AlexTony, baseball cards by me dedicated to AlexTony.

pbcards1thru9.jpg

great stuff, Rickey, Reggie are my fav's

Thanks 69! Thanks Jogar! Capa, I often ask for feedback, but not on the finished pieces. At that point you can download them and change them yourself. Nothing brutal, this is the DIY world. If I disliked a roster I would learn how to change it, that's all. No big deal.

EDIT: Capa and others: I'll include instructions for people to either restore the original faces individually or put in their own. I'm not Bill Gates, I'm not forcing other people to have my taste.

Peter,

While I'm laughing at having just returned from the eye doctor and being informed that I need Catarac Surgery ---- Even I can see and appreciate Mr Oliva! You have again done a masterful job!

Catarac Surgery! I thought that was for 80 year olds and such ......... although I am a bit long in the tooth -- I am not quite that OLD! YET!

So, from an old baseball fan fixin' to undergo the knife for cataracs --- I truly appreciate the beauty of what you are doing !!!

Thanks,

Don

Peter,

With all due respect...you need to lighten up a little. I was not "criticizing" the face you made for Koufax. In fact, if you look at my posts regarding your work, I have done nothing but praise you. All I wanted to point out was that Koufax had black hair, not brown. I don't know why you felt this was an attack on your overall artistry...because it wasn't. It also was not an attempt to ridicule you or make the point that I could do better (I can't).

That's my $.02...you just seemed to get way over-offended, and if that is in fact how you really feel, so be it. I hope you at least understand what I am saying here.

C

Capa, I didn't feel it was an attack on me, and I wasn't attacking you. I was only explaining my view of the DIY philosophy. These are for you to download and do what you like with. So you can make his hair darker or purple.

If you think I'm trying to be perfect, I'm not, I'm trying to do sort of 3D cartoons that represent the people as best I can with the limitations present. Most of these faces have way bigger problems than needing a slight hair tone change. If you want perfect stuff, I can't make that. This is my best take on it, and it is intended as an artistic interpretation that I'm entering into the public domain. You can then take it and change the coloring or anything you want about it and create a new artistic rendition of that player. But to me it's like if someone handed you their new single and you said, "This will sound really good once you put the saxophone arrangement in." The record is done already to me, but you can add your own sax arrangement to it if that's what pleases you.

I know that we've all grown up in a consumerist culture where products are sold as entertainment and we're used to the creators of the content changing their product to suit the marketplace. This is not that. This is me doing a series of cyberfaces for my own purposes that you can share or not share or download and change.

I hope that's more clear now, no attack was intended or perceived on my part.

EDIT: I have the distinction of having the least-downloaded cyberface on the site with Monkey Mantle and I'm planning to release an entire Halloween facepack, so I clearly don't care what anyone else thinks of what I do, haha. Don't take me so seriously, Capa. Sorry you got upset.

Thanks BBfans, I've got those WIlliams shots but I never saw those DiMaggios before!!!! The shot I postd earlier of Tony Oliva is the kind of shot I'm looking for. DiMag has a unique face shape too. I put him on Jorge Posada and it didn't work because he had more of a chin than Posada. It's hard to find shots of the old-timers looking right at the camera in closeup not smiling too much with enough detail that you can see the skin texture. Thanks very much for your help. The top Williams shot might work if I had a huge version of it. Does that make sense? I personally think Ted is waiting for a Red Sox fan to get into face modding and that DiMaggio is waiting for a higher bidder.

BTW 69Yanks, this is what happens when I use oedit, the times it doesn't crash outright:

invisible.jpg

I'm planning to release this as the Invisible Man in my Halloween facepack, but in the meantime there are a few faces I can't finish till I can get that going again. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Archived