TOTALMINORS VERSION 3 RELEASED!!!

GForce22

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am HOPING to have it done within 2 weeks, but it depends on time and if I'm happy with it. This will be the final release for this year, so I want to make sure everything plays out really well before release.

GH

I'm already looking at MVP2005 and saying there's no chance I'll be buying it if you are not modding the rosters. It's really a shame that EA doesn't employ you to do the rosters for them, so you feel a bit more gratitude and compensation for your awsome efforts. It's appartent by your responses that you've really tired of this task. I wish there was something we all could do to change your mind about no longer updating the rosters in the future. I mean, is it a monetary thing, or are you really just overwhelmed? The money we can help with for sure, and maybe even the rosters themselves. If you took a bit of time to explain your rating systems in depth, maybe Trues or someone could assign different modders to a team, majors on down, and we each could bear the burden of doing one team to the most finite detail, and then email our changes to one persons email for review and conversion to one masterpiece?! If everyone got serious about this, we could probably knock a good month off of the time it took to complete.

I guess for me, the love of this game is not going to be the same without your roster set, and I'm willing to explore options to keep your legacy going, even if you can't help in the least. :cry: :banghead:

Oh, and just to be clear about everything, I am in no way saying all the other roster sets out there are inadequate for everyday use and I appreciate all the effort everyone else has put into those, but there is just no comparison when it comes to the realism and playability of the game with Gforce's rosters.

I'm already looking at MVP2005 and saying there's no chance I'll be buying it if you are not modding the rosters. It's really a shame that EA doesn't employ you to do the rosters for them, so you feel a bit more gratitude and compensation for your awsome efforts. It's appartent by your responses that you've really tired of this task. I wish there was something we all could do to change your mind about no longer updating the rosters in the future. I mean, is it a monetary thing, or are you really just overwhelmed? The money we can help with for sure, and maybe even the rosters themselves. If you took a bit of time to explain your rating systems in depth, maybe Trues or someone could assign different modders to a team, majors on down, and we each could bear the burden of doing one team to the most finite detail, and then email our changes to one persons email for review and conversion to one masterpiece?! If everyone got serious about this, we could probably knock a good month off of the time it took to complete.

I guess for me, the love of this game is not going to be the same without your roster set, and I'm willing to explore options to keep your legacy going, even if you can't help in the least. :cry: :banghead:

First off, I appreciate the kind words. It's really just a matter of time. When I brought TotalMinors to High Heat, I had a lot more time to devote to it. I could spend 5 hours a day on it if I wanted. Guys pushed 3DO to hire me to do rosters, but the company said to do that I would have to move to California to be on site with Trip Hawkins, and that just wasn't going to happen. I went to OOTP, and the guy who had done rosters there wanted to join my efforts. That didn't work out and the project didn't get done until after the season. But the guy who runs OOTP, Markus Heinsohn, saw my work and hired me to do the rosters for OOTP5. I got the game in advance so I could release the work on time and it went great. I moved to MVP this year, but with a now 15 month old son and another on the way (due in December), I will have 2 very young kids next year, which will make doing these rosters very difficult, just from a time perspective.

I was compensated very nicely by the OOTP community last year, and it was much appreciated. But I certainly don't expect guys to donate, I'm just grateful when they do. Back when I didn't have as much going on in my life, wasn't married, didn't have kids, it was easy to just do this simply because I enjoy doing it. The time element is a big one, and not being compensated for that time, which is much more valuable now than it was, certainly doesn't help. Some guys say silly things like "if you're asking for donations, it's not fun for you", which is stupid. Yes, the rosters are fun for me. I love baseball and research. Unfortunately, with as many responsibilities as I have (I am also an editor for a major newspaper), I don't have the luxury to take that much time just for "fun". That reality gets lost on some people.

I may keep doing rosters after TotalMinors, but they would be all-time roster sets and such, things that aren't as time sensitive as opening day sets. Releasing an opening day set in June isn't ideal by any means. But I also don't release stuff half-assed, and if I can't do it to my standard I won't do it.

I am enjoying doing TotalMinors this year as well, I'm enjoying seeing the guys I create play the game and improve the game (hopefully) as much as I can. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that.

Hope that clears it up. I appreciate the support for my work from so many the past 4+ years. Hopefully the last installment of TotalMinors lives up to billing.

GH

GForce, just a couple of quick-hit questions:

1.) What datafile/settings are you using to test your rosters, and re you testing them on CPU vs. CPU or Human vs. CPU

2.) What kind of pitch counts are you seeing for humans in your testing. I understand this to be one of, if not, your top concern for v3, and am ecstatic someone is finally paying attention to this flaw in the game.

Take your time with your response...

I can't wait until GForce releases his rosters. Maybe I'm a freak, but I haven't even played a complete game yet! Not while I know there's something better waiting yonder.

The Piazza inspired GForce has to do his thing, and I can't wait to use my game.

Go GeForce Go! :!:

I can't wait until GForce releases his rosters. Maybe I'm a freak, but I haven't even played a complete game yet! Not while I know there's something better waiting yonder.

The Piazza inspired GForce has to do his thing, and I can't to use my game.

Go GeForce Go! :!:

Neither have I and I got it when it came out :?

Moving along, probably 7-10 days away from v3.

This game is so damn frustrating, because they really are SO close. But the pitching control/counts are very hard to fix, because the best ratings for accurate simming don't equate to the best ratings for played games. In fact, the whole rating system is a bit off.

For example, they basically have it so a each level has a certain range ratings should be at. The problem is, the floor at MLB is higher than the ceiling at AAA. Meaning, if you have a guy who has had major league experience in AAA, he stands a good chance of cleaning up, because he's been rated on the MLB scale, which is much higher than the AAA scale. You see a lot of scrubby MLB guys go down to the minors and be outstanding. Their whole scale system is messed up.

The chase/take/miss ratings are, essentially, a clusterfuck. Check out some big K guys and their miss ratings in the game. Virtually all of them were low...because practically everybody's is low. Guys who really rarely strike out have 2s and 3s, guys who strike out a lot have 6 or 7. What this does is create the problem where virtually every swung on ball gets hit, because the chances for them to miss are so low. my revisions have helped this a good amount, but I by no means claim it's perfect.

Pitcher strikeouts...it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to create a pitcher who will strike out more than a batter per inning. Johnson, Pedro, Prior are basically straight 99s...still strike out less than a batter per inning. This shouldn't be frequent, but it should occur.

Pitch counts...what's the biggest problem here? too few foul balls. This is a problem every baseball video game has, and I understand the reasoning to a degree. Their thinking is "who wants to watch 40 foul balls a game." But there's a balance there that needs to be found and it hasn't been yet. High Heat came closest (and the tune file was a big reason for this, where you could essentially adjust the bat reach, sweet spot, etc.). But I should NOT be able to throw 34 pitches through 5 innings as I could with the default rosters. Just no way. I also shouldn't be able to hit my spot pitching basically at will. I almost think Rod should adjust the datafile to basically, the green part is nonexistent if you're a below average control pitcher and marginally grow beyond that point. He's done a great job and there are limitations, it's just frustrating because, as I say, it's SO close.

Why are some relievers averaging 2 IP a game? There's no reason for it. And if I cut the staminas to nonexistent levels, then the played games will be impacted too greatly.

These are just some of the issues and why it irritates me so much. It's 100% pure ego on my part, but I feel like I should be able to fix these things and I can't, at least not completely.

That said, what I've got going right now is much better than before, and v3 will be a BIG step up.

GH

For the reliever issue, I usually Global Edit the whole roster so that their stamina will be -16 or so. It's working pretty well so far, though still s.u.x compare to real life. Perhaps you can give it a try

For the reliever issue, I usually Global Edit the whole roster so that their stamina will be -16 or so. It's working pretty well so far, though still s.u.x compare to real life. Perhaps you can give it a try

That renders them completely useless in the game.

GH

Moving along, probably 7-10 days away from v3.

///This game is so damn frustrating, because they really are SO close. But the pitching control/counts are very hard to fix, because the best ratings ////for accurate simming don't equate to the best ratings for played games. In fact, the whole rating system is a bit off.

I discovered this last year while making a roster. One of my goals was to up AI batter power, so I adjusted the power ratings until the CPU was a HR threat. While games played out were more realistic and challenging, (In 2003, the CPU would hardly ever hit homeruns against you-even with mistake pitches) the simmed power numbers were way up across the board.

I can't say it better than Gforce said, "the best ratings for accurate simming don't equate to the best ratings for played games."

As Dave Chappelle would say, "In 2003, EA is ******* up."

Because I haven't played 2004 much yet, I can't really comment on it. But with 2003, the ratings equated to accurate simmed results, but in played games the AI had all the power of an infant.

I remember doing tests of groving mistake pitches to AI "power" hitters strike zones while they kept the ball in the yard. After observing this, I realized that creating more hot zones for AI batters (I made my roster optimized for one team) wasn't going to be enough to make the game more challenging. At this point, I made the decision in preference to realism during played games at the expense of simmed stats. The stats a player puts up don't affect player development anyway. 2003 is an arcade game with sim flavor in my mind.

I guess sliders could help you set played balance, but as I have not played through a full game yet, I cannot comment.

geforce im curious, are you going to release the system you used to rate these players? In case we want to add/delete different players in our systems...

No. I have released the spreadsheets that give ratings equivalents, but I won't be releasing every detail on how I do it.

GH

No. I have released the spreadsheets that give ratings equivalents, but I won't be releasing every detail on how I do it.

GH

where can we find those?

because the pitchchart hitchart things in the zip file arent very useful without any explanation, and theres a shitload of other ratings.

i dont need a detailed explanation just an idea on what formulas you used to determine baserunning speed, contact, power, those sorts of thangs.

if its not too much to ask of course, i know youre working on version 3 now, so whenever :oops:

quote="poonani"]

where can we find those?

because the pitchchart hitchart things in the zip file arent very useful without any explanation, and theres a shitload of other ratings.

i dont need a detailed explanation just an idea on what formulas you used to determine baserunning speed, contact, power, those sorts of thangs.

if its not too much to ask of course, i know youre working on version 3 now, so whenever :oops:

They're included in the download... so if you just copied and pasted into your MVP directory, they should be in there.

Archived