Box Score Extractor

tywiggins

She's working like a charm now. I hadn't run the SavReader again since I played my first game of the season, so it was reading the empty stats of 2006 and inputing the 2005 stats in their place. Now that I've run the SavReader everything is fine.

When is the ESPN-style boxscore going to be ready? I love the program but the combination of season stats and game stats in the boxscore can be quite confusing.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's working like a charm now. I hadn't run the SavReader again since I played my first game of the season, so it was reading the empty stats of 2006 and inputing the 2005 stats in their place. Now that I've run the SavReader everything is fine.

When is the ESPN-style boxscore going to be ready? I love the program but the combination of season stats and game stats in the boxscore can be quite confusing.

I still need to do the extra stats beneath the pitching table. Then I need to do the home team (which will be a copy and paste job, with a little renaming), and then the game log.

Then I need to add in the option to choose between the layouts.

Hey fellas, some incredible work here Ty...I'm really impressed. Anyways, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here...I'm not seeing the images (logos, banner behind title). I have the .css file...I just don't see where the root file is for the images.

Is it a seperate download or do I have to create them myself?...

Thanks.

Hey fellas, some incredible work here Ty...I'm really impressed. Anyways, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here...I'm not seeing the images (logos, banner behind title). I have the .css file...I just don't see where the root file is for the images.

Is it a seperate download or do I have to create them myself?...

Thanks.

Put the logos in the images folder

I'm sorry, but where can I find these logos? Sorry for my incompetence...

MarkB attached the minor league logos to one of his posts, several pages back.

The MLB logos you can get from my website. (link in my signature)

I will include all of the logos in the final version.

MarkB attached the minor league logos to one of his posts, several pages back.

The MLB logos you can get from my website. (link in my signature)

I will include all of the logos in the final version.

Or for logos, you can do what I did. Go to the actual ESPN.com boxscores, put your cursor over the "logo" in the boxscore, right click, click on "save as" and put the logo (name it FLA.gif or HOU.gif or NYY.gif) in a Logo folder you create.

Here's what mine looks like:

boxscore-example.jpg

Probably a bit late for this.

Is it possible to show an expanded pitch count under the additional pitching information? Would be similar to how it is displayed on the MLB.com boxscores, but mixed with Kraw's layout.

Kraw's example boxscore, with the "Pitches-strikes" addition:

http://sio.midco.net/mvpbaseball/examplebox/examplebox.htm

Feel free to kick me if I missed this being asked about on one of the previous pages.

Hey, guys, could you please help me. It was OK previously, but now I can't get out of the game neither with ALT+TAB nor with CTRL+ALT+DEL. It does not work within the game and when the game is finished when I want to get out and run BOXSCOREEXTRACTOR.

However, ALT+TAB or CTRL+ALT+DEL works when I'm in dynasty menu and in after game menu (where the bix boxscore is on the top and big buttons: DONE in the bottom right ad BOXSCORE in the bottom left).

Probably its not the game issue but anyway please help

Probably a bit late for this.

Is it possible to show an expanded pitch count under the additional pitching information? Would be similar to how it is displayed on the MLB.com boxscores, but mixed with Kraw's layout.

Kraw's example boxscore, with the "Pitches-strikes" addition:

http://sio.midco.net/mvpbaseball/examplebox/examplebox.htm

Feel free to kick me if I missed this being asked about on one of the previous pages.

I can't currently do the pitches-strikes. I didn't find the information on each individual pitch.

Would you want that in the game log in the inning summary?

Yeah, that could be cool. "0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors. Pitches thrown: 14." Something like that? Although it might have to be split if the pitcher is replaced mid-inning...which I just remembered can't be done. :lol:

A few brainstorms on the latest version from the 31st (hadn't tried it until just now):

The new boxscore.css file is good. I like the grey.

At the end of the file, there was a final line of "0 runs 0 hits" after the top of the 9th. The home team was leading, hence, no bottom of the 9th. I'm assuming that's what's caused the extra linescore to be added. EDIT - See here.

As I was discussing wind earlier, this came into my head while playing. Could the wind speed and direction be grabbed from memory as well and placed in the output page? Maybe an extended information section with wind speed and direction, location of game (if the active stadium is yankday.big, for example, it could display just Yankee Stadium - 1:05pm, or if it's night, Yankee Stadium - 7:05pm. Or, if you don't want to create all the necessary IF statements (I know I wouldn't ;) ), even just the stadium name, then the user can amend it later.

When outputting, I was slightly confused with the X and H idea. I tried inputting "XH" to represent an exhibition game with the home stats, but got the pre-programmed error, so it meant loading the program twice. How about a variable, so that various options could be selected in one shot, so, for example, XHKY would result in an exhibition game, home stats page, krawhitham's layout and player links to MVPSavReader, while XRNN would result in an exhibition game, road stats page, neojonas' layout and no player links.

In a few cases, I'll insert a bench player to pinch-run for my catcher, if he gets on base. With the latest build, it shows the starting catcher, then the replacement catcher (nice indent ;)) as the PH. Could the pinch-runner be shown between both to represent him in some way, possibly listing him as the PH and leaving his batting stats blank as he didn't have an at-bat?

Could the player's fielding positions be shown in the Fielding section as well as, or instead of, in the batting section, and maybe sorted in some way?

Could errors be added to the half-inning linescores, and the titles of the half-innings bolded?

That's enough, for now. ;) Thanks!

EDIT - Also, the new pitching columnwith boxscore.css seems rather thin - Hughes' had to stretch to fit it, as you can see.

Yeah, that could be cool. "0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors. Pitches thrown: 14." Something like that? Although it might have to be split if the pitcher is replaced mid-inning...which I just remembered can't be done. :lol:

I can do that.

At the end of the file, there was a final line of "0 runs 0 hits" after the top of the 9th. The home team was leading, hence, no bottom of the 9th. I'm assuming that's what's caused the extra linescore to be added.

I'll fix that.

As I was discussing wind earlier, this came into my head while playing. Could the wind speed and direction be grabbed from memory as well and placed in the output page? Maybe an extended information section with wind speed and direction, location of game (if the active stadium is yankday.big, for example, it could display just Yankee Stadium - 1:05pm, or if it's night, Yankee Stadium - 7:05pm. Or, if you don't want to create all the necessary IF statements (I know I wouldn't ;) ), even just the stadium name, then the user can amend it later.

I don't think I'll do this. I would have to find it in memory to be able to do this.

When outputting, I was slightly confused with the X and H idea. I tried inputting "XH" to represent an exhibition game with the home stats, but got the pre-programmed error, so it meant loading the program twice. How about a variable, so that various options could be selected in one shot, so, for example, XHKY would result in an exhibition game, home stats page, krawhitham's layout and player links to MVPSavReader, while XRNN would result in an exhibition game, road stats page, neojonas' layout and no player links.

Why would you need "XH" ? The X option lets you choose the filename. The H option just uses the hometeaminitials and the gamenumber for the hometeam as the filename, and makes the links go to the correct filename.

I was thinking of adding an additional option.

The new option would allow you to choose the filename, as well as the filenames for the previous and the next links.

Would you be interested in this?

I wasn't planning on having links optional, but I guess I could.

In a few cases, I'll insert a bench player to pinch-run for my catcher, if he gets on base. With the latest build, it shows the starting catcher, then the replacement catcher (nice indent ;)) as the PH. Could the pinch-runner be shown between both to represent him in some way, possibly listing him as the PH and leaving his batting stats blank as he didn't have an at-bat?

I don't think I can show this. If you just use a player as a pinch runner, they don't show up in the list of batters, so there is no way to determine who they pinch ran for.

Could the player's fielding positions be shown in the Fielding section as well as, or instead of, in the batting section, and maybe sorted in some way?

I don't think I'll remove it from the the batting section. But, I could do the rest. (right now they are in order by roster spot)

Could errors be added to the half-inning linescores, and the titles of the half-innings bolded?

I can add errors to the half-inning linescores. I did the html for the game log, because I forgot to ask neojonas to do it earlier. See if you like how the game log is in neojonas's updated layout:

http://www.microtracesolutions.com/boxscore/boxscore.htm

That's enough, for now. ;) Thanks!

I think I responded to all of those. I will probably release another latestbuild before I go to bed. I will not implement any of your suggestions yet, (except for fixing the bottom half of the 9th inning thing)

Kraw's layout is nearly complete.

I can do that.

Cool, thanks.

I don't think I'll do this. I would have to find it in memory to be able to do this.

MarkB, I just realized (again) that I really can't do errors in the inning summary. The only errors that I could count are when a player reaches base on an error. I can't do an accurate error count, so there is no point in including them.

Here is the latest build. This also includes the all.css file for kraw's layout, and the boxscore.css file for neojonas's layout.

Looks wonderfull, A few things I noticed

this bit of code is missing

<script type="text/javascript">

//<![CDATA[

var SOB = new flashObj();

SOB.flashFile = "http://espn.go.com/mlb/gameupdate/swf/gameTitle.swf";

SOB.flashVars = "&gameTitle=Milwaukee+Brewers+at+Cincinnati+Reds";

SOB.width = "400";

SOB.height = "22";

SOB.scale = "noScale";

SOB.salign="lt";

SOB.wmode = "transparent";  // Window Mode

SOB.DenyIEdl = "TRUE";

SOB.FlashVer = 6;

SOB.cabVersion = "6,0,48,0";

SOB.altTxt = "";

SOB.ID = "titleswf";

document.write(SOB.render());

//-->

</script>

<embed src="boxscore_files/gameTitle.swf" swliveconnect="FALSE" quality="best" scale="noScale" flashvars="&amp;gameTitle=Milwaukee+Brewers+at+Cincinnati+Reds" wmode="transparent" id="titleswf" name="flash2" menu="false" devicefont="false" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveF
The swf is nothing more that a font file, you could ditch above code and just use plain text stating the 2 teams. If you decide to keep the swf file The
flashvars="&amp;gameTitle=Milwaukee+Brewers+at+Cincinnati+Reds"
&
needs to be updated to change the game title Plus I guess this
should be changed to
SOB.flashFile = "gameTitle.swf";
and this
<embed src="boxscore_files/gameTitle.swf"
to
<embed src="gameTitle.swf"
this line can be removed with no side effects
.i{background: #184984; background-image:url(http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sportindex/design05/subnav/mlb.gif);}
This is used as static code
<title>ESPN.com - MLB - Box Score - Brewers at Reds</title>
It should be updated for the teams that are playing, plus I would replace "ESPN.com - MLB - Box Score" with "Box Score Extractor" this too is used as static code
<div class="scoreHead" style="margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; text-align: center;">MVP Scoreboard - May 24, 2006</div>

Is it possible to have that list the date the game was played in the game

plus you should put in a link somewhere on the page pointing to your web site so people can donate

EDIT - Also, the new pitching columnwith boxscore.css seems rather thin - Hughes' had to stretch to fit it, as you can see.

Good catch. I fixed my css file to prevent that wrapping. Check out the first pitcher I have listed for the Cardinals...It shouldn't wrap. If it wraps for you let me know what browswer you're using to look at it.

http://www.microtracesolutions.com/boxscore/boxscore.htm

this bit of code is missing

<script type="text/javascript">

//<![CDATA[

var SOB = new flashObj();

SOB.width = "400";

SOB.height = "22";

SOB.scale = "noScale";

SOB.salign="lt";

SOB.wmode = "transparent";  // Window Mode

SOB.DenyIEdl = "TRUE";

SOB.FlashVer = 6;

SOB.cabVersion = "6,0,48,0";

SOB.altTxt = "";

SOB.ID = "titleswf";

document.write(SOB.render());

//-->

</script>

<embed src="boxscore_files/gameTitle.swf" swliveconnect="FALSE" quality="best" scale="noScale" flashvars="&amp;gameTitle=Milwaukee+Brewers+at+Cincinnati+Reds" wmode="transparent" id="titleswf" name="flash2" menu="false" devicefont="false" salign="lt" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveF
The swf is nothing more that a font file, you could ditch above code and just use plain text stating the 2 teams.
Before I decided not to do that block of code, I saved two copies of your boxscore. One had that block of code, the other didn't. The only difference I saw was that the one with the block of code removed had the linescore moved up slightly. EDIT: I just tested it again in Internet Explorer, and now I see the game title. I was viewing your page in Firefox and never saw the game title.
.i{background: #184984; background-image:url(http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/sportindex/design05/subnav/mlb.gif);}
Okay, I'll get rid of that.
This is used as static code
<title>ESPN.com - MLB - Box Score - Brewers at Reds</title>
It should be updated for the teams that are playing, plus I would replace "ESPN.com - MLB - Box Score" with "Box Score Extractor" this too is used as static code
<div class="scoreHead" style="margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; text-align: center;">MVP Scoreboard - May 24, 2006</div>

Is it possible to have that list the date the game was played in the game

Yes, I was aware of both of these. I will change them today.

For the date, is everyone okay with the current date for exhibition games, and the game date for dynasty games? I will try to do this.

plus you should put in a link somewhere on the page pointing to your web site so people can donate

Good idea.

Tywiggins, i played an extra inning game going 13 innings. However, when running the program, an error message popped up. The html page was created but the game log only recorded the first 12 innings. Any ideas on how to fix this?