A's Dynasty *A Western Showdown*

JoeRudi26

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but then who do you play at third.. Scutaro? Perez? Melhuse? I'm not sure who's in the system to call up.

Good question, cybernetic. I can platoon Perez/Scutaro or even Mark Ellis. But as of now, Ellis is bombing at the plate and doesn't have near the arm strength as Chavez.

The only decent option I have in the minors is Adam Morrissey, who really isn't ready but I still might have to give him a shot. By some stroke of luck, he'll get the job done defensively and bring some stick to the plate.

Melhuse. he has power and the A's need that. Scutaro could play there some too.

This is another decent option. Melhuse has the arm, and Kendall's defense is unquestionable. Not to mention, Kendall is extremely hot at the plate right now.

Another option would be Keith Ginter at 3B, but again I'm stuck with a mediocre arm.

It's early in the season, so hopefully something will develop. If Chavez starts to tear it up in AAA, I'll have no choice but to bring him back up.

[align=center]Oakland Athletics @ Colorado Rockies[/align]

[align=center]Post Game Report[/align]

[align=center]Game 2 (3 Game Series)[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Player of The Game - Todd Helton[/align]

[align=center](3-5, 2B, 3B, 1 run scored)[/align]

[align=center]*Colorado Takes Game 2*[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center](Left) Todd Helton hits a triple to the left field gap. (Middle/Right) The fireworks explode as Matt Holliday rounds the bases.[/align]

Colorado scored 5 runs on 11 hits to even the series at Coors Field. Leading the way was Todd Helton, going 3 for 5 with a double (13) and a triple (4), missing the cycle by a home run. Going deep for Colorado was Luis A. Gonzalez (18th) and Matt Holliday (10th), with JD Closser picking up his 8th RBI of the season.

Aaron Cook (4-5, 3.77) went 7 innings giving up 1 run on 5 hits and striking out 6. Cook gave up his only walk to Dan Johnson in the top of the 5th inning. Right hander Mike DeJean (2-5, 4.86) and closer Jose Mesa (0-2, 2.65 13 sv) rounded out the pitching for the Rockies.

Nick Swisher (10), Jay Payton (3), and Dan Johnson (7) doubled for the Athletics, with Payton getting the lone RBI for the A's on a homerun (his 3rd of the season) that barely cleared the left field fence.

Rich Harden (6-4, 2.16) picked up his 4th loss of the season with what was a decent outing, giving up only 3 runs on 5 hits, striking out 6 and walking only 2.

Kirk Saarloos (3-3, 3.52, 2 sv) pitched 2 innings but gave up 2 runs. Both of which were homeruns. (Matt Holliday and Luis A. Gonzalez).

Head Coach Clint Hurdle - I thought we played good today. Probably as good as we've played all year. Our defense was as good as it gets, and we're swinging the bat pretty good lately. We've got to stay focused to keep our heads above water if we want a shot at being competitive in this division.

Todd Helton - The ball was jumping off my bat pretty good today, it seemed I was finding the gaps pretty consistently. I'm not trying to swing too hard, just trying to drive the ball and not press when I have guys on base.

Oakland Head Coach Ken Macha - Unfortunately, we're going to have to make some major changes in our lineup. Some of the decisions I'm going to have to make are not going to be popular ones, and they're decisions I'm not wanting to make. We have to shake things up here. We have to start making things happen. At 36-36, we're really very lucky to even be in this thing. Our pitching is solid, I have no doubt about that. But like I said, unfortunately, we're going to have to make some tough moves.

*No Oakland Players Were Available For Comment*

[align=center][/align]

[align=center](Left) Jay Payton barely clears the wall in left field. (Middle) Dan Johnson starts a 3-6-3 double play. (Right) Dan Haren (P) hits a single up the middle.[/align]

Colorado Pitching

Colorado Batting

Oakland Pitching

Oakland Batting

Yikes. Rockies used a bit of that thin air hu? Well, Melhuse doesn't have the defense, but he has the hitting. Scutaro would be you next best option, but Ilike Melhuse. I have used him there before for a season when Chavez was down with injuries. He hit .276 with 21 homers and 63 RBI's. He did that in 98 games hitting in the 7 spot.

[align=center]Starting Lineup 6-21-06[/align]

[align=center]

[/align]

Colorado Batting Order/Lineup

1. Luis A. Gonzalez - 2B

2. Matt Holliday - LF

3. Todd Helton 1B

4. Brad Hawpe - RF

5. Eli Marrero - 3B

6. JD Closser - C

7. Kaz Matsui - SS

8. Cory Sullivan - CF

9. Aaron Cook - SP

*Oakland Notes*

Eric Chavez to AAA Sacramento

Mark Kotsay to AAA Sacramento

Bobby Crosby to AAA Sacramento

Bobby Kielty from AAA Sacramento to Oak

Keith Ginter from AAA Sacramento to Oak

Charles Thomas from AAA Sacramento to Oak

*Signed Pitcher Scott Sauerbeck

We all are. Hopefullly these changes will work and I won't be known as the guys that killed JR's dynasty!

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Right now, I'm going to shake things up at a few positions and see what happens.

I'm more concerned about the offensive end at this point in the season. But the good thing is, there's 162 games. Time for things to develop and plenty of time to make adjustments.

The next few weeks should be pretty interesting.

[align=center]Post Game Report[/align]

[align=center]Game 3 (3 Game Series)[/align]

[align=center]Player of The Game - Milton Bradley[/align]

[align=center](3-4, 2B,3B,RBI)[/align]

[align=center]*Oakland Claims The Series*[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center](Left) Johnson and Scutaro pull of the hit and run (Middle) Closser retreating to 2B (Right) Jay Payton pinch runs for Frank Thomas[/align]

Milton Bradley (.239) drove in 3 runs for Oakland as the A's capped off the series with a 5-1 win. Bradley tripled (2), doubled (7), and singled to fuel the offense for the struggling A's. Also doubling for Oakland was Frank Thomas (11), who came in to pinch hit in the top of the 5th after head coach Ken Macha pulled the plug on a tired Joe Kennedy (4IP,5 hits,0 ER,4 SO).

Jason Kendall (.288/7/24) continues to swing the hot bat, homering for the second time in the series. Kendall went 2 for 4 with a stolen base (4).

After some major changes in the lineup, Marco Scutaro (.190/1/5) took over at shortstop with some steller defense and hit his first homerun (top 7) of the season. Scutaro scored twice and drew a walk in the top of the 5th.

Joe Kennedy (2-2,2.70) pitched 4 innings but failed to get a decision. Left handed middle reliever Dan Meyer (1-0, 1.80) picked up his first win of the season, pitching 4 innings and just giving up one run.

For the Rockies, outfielder Matt Holliday homered (11) for the second straight game, and catcher JD Closser doubled (9), but it wasn't enough as Colorado drops the series 2 games to 1.

Jeff Francis (2-9, 8.88 era) gave up 5 runs on 8 hits through 7 innings.

Francis - "I'm struggling right now. I was suprised coach left me out there as long as he did. Physically I feel OK, we just don't seem to get the runs when I'm on the mound."

Matt Holliday - "We're just not consistent right now. We go out Monday night and slap the ball all over the field, and some nights it's all singles with nothing to show for it."

Charles Thomas - "It feels good to get the chance to come up to the bigs and try to contribute. I only got up there once today, but I'm just happy to be here. I just have to work hard every day to earn it.

Ken Macha - I feel comfortable with the moves I had to make. We tried to play small ball today. We played hit and run. We stole bases. We bunted guys over and even pinch ran Jay (Payton) after big Frank (Thomas) pinch hit for Kennedy. We're going to do what it takes to win.

Frank Thomas - "I'll play when and where I'm needed. If coach wants me to pinch hit, DH or play first base, then that's what I'll do. I'm not here to try and pad my career numbers, I want to win just as bad as anyone on this team. It's been tough around here lately. Some guys haven't been producing and the organization made some pretty bold statements. Chavvy won't be gone long, he's a big league hitter. There's no doubt in my mind he'll find his stroke again.

[align=center][/align]

[align=center](Left) Todd Helton makes a great defensive play at first (Right) Matt Holliday homers to right in the bottom of the 5th [/align]

Colorado Pitching

Colorado Batting

Oakland Pitching

Oakland Batting

Pitching is the key with the A's. Good game today. Bradley finaly started hitting too.

Thanks JMac. If it weren't for pitching, I'd have a lot worse record than 37-36. Bradley and Kendall were the offensive spark in the series.

Archived