Somebody hacked madden mods

Hoop27

In a security context, the purpose of hacking a system or a site is to expose the problems with it, recommend changes to the owner or person with the control over it, and rectify the gaps so that anyone who is actually malicious (no, changing the index file doesn't count as malicious) won't be able to attack the site as easily in future.

In this case, it seems like the objective has been reached. The guy told you what the problems were with the site, you fix them (either by installing a patch or removing the software), and the site is now at least remotely secure. Why screw with the guy now? He did you a favour. If he went around, deleted some files and did it to a gain for himself, fine, go for it. But when he's actually helping out by identifying and recommending changes to solve security problems, I'd say "thanks" before saying "I'm telling your ISP".

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if somebody hacks your site and only changes the index, doesn't change passwords, delete files, or anything, there's a chance that they aren't trying to screw your site really badly, they're trying to help (or something along the lines of that)?

look at it this way he was nice enough to tell him how to stop others from doing it. He did not have to say anything

What did MS do with the people that 1st hacked the xbox? They hired them to work on the xbox 360

What Kraw said.........

In this case, it seems like the objective has been reached. The guy told you what the problems were with the site, you fix them (either by installing a patch or removing the software), and the site is now at least remotely secure. Why screw with the guy now? He did you a favour. If he went around, deleted some files and did it to a gain for himself, fine, go for it. But when he's actually helping out by identifying and recommending changes to solve security problems, I'd say "thanks" before saying "I'm telling your ISP".

.....and what Mark added is something I didn't think of at all. Good points.

So if somebody hacks your site and only changes the index, doesn't change passwords, delete files, or anything, there's a chance that they aren't trying to screw your site really badly, they're trying to help (or something along the lines of that)?

lol, i hate hackers, they (naughty word) my computer and internet

well i still can't access the site. I've tried it on 3 different computers, and all get the same result. Here's what I have tried thus far:

I've cleared both Temporary Internet Files, and History, and Cookies.

I tried http://www.madden-mods.com

I tried http://madden-mods.com

any clues?

all I get is a page can't be displayed message.

The server is down. We're working on getting a new one

Just an update, Trues and I have been talking about getting a new server (on his dime!). This may sound stupid, but I'd be very grateful if you could donate to MVP, seeing as True's will be paying for an additional site, and I'd like to help as much as possible.

Unfortunetly, that would mean changing name-servers again, which would mean downtime.

Just an update, Trues and I have been talking about getting a new server (on his dime!). This may sound stupid, but I'd be very grateful if you could donate to MVP, seeing as True's will be paying for an additional site, and I'd like to help as much as possible.

Unfortunetly, that would mean changing name-servers again, which would mean downtime.

Go with ServerSeed. They have great plans, more space, and a lower cost than it is to run this site.

-dan

lol, i hate hackers, they (naughty word) my computer and internet

No, you (naughty word) your computer and internet by having poor system security. And if you hate hackers, then you hate anyone who's ever hacked the files used in games such as MVP in order to discover their contents and release updates for them - uniforms, stadiums, music, game files, datafiles - the list goes on.

Dan, in a nutshell, yes. If they were hell-bent on destruction, they would probably just have killed the site altogether.

kgbaseball - if you ran a site and someone just e-mailed you to say "I can hack your site, here is how to do it...", would you believe them and thank them for letting you know? Or would you inform the authorities immediately? The vast majority of ignorant system consultants and owners don't particularly like being told their systems are about as secure as the average condom wrapped around a machine gun, so they go running to the police and hope to get the person convicted under draconian "hacking" laws before making a press release stating that their system was never, at any time, at risk and thanking all the people who played a part in getting another dangerous hacker put in jail - whether or not they actually did anything.

Archived