Kgbaseball's Roster Thread

kgbaseball

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those only affect Adam Dunn's at bats in game by the CPU. (I presume) So, if it was 0 he would have a slightly more chance making contact in his plate approach while at 15 he would be more likely to miss during his plate approach. Pretty much, it doesn't affect batting averages or the sort. The MVP engine is flawed (:lol:), pretty much it'll make anyone with a ton of plate patience hit for a higher average and hit for less power during simulations. That's why hitters seems to top out at the low 40s for HRs during simulations regardless of power ratings.

Rather than making these inconsistent with my ratings, I'll just live with the MVP simulation engine. If it sucked so badly we wouldn't be playing this game.

Anyway, I do update hit, miss, and take zones when a batter's approach has changed significantly. Since Dunn always walks and strikeouts, his has probably remained the same. (I don't remember what I done with it) while someone like Garrett Atkins has been changed significantly to reflect his now ML-hitter status.

Once again, I would just like to point out, that 1.1 crashes on me when I try to start a new dynasty. I don't think it's a problem that KG really wants to address, but I'm just throwing it out there. Do I need the default progress.big, rookies.big, schedule.big and resign.csv? I have all those modded, so I figured that might be it.

Why not just Drop Dunn's Plate Discipline which, I would guess, would fix whether playing him or sim-ing him because he would see the ball later and therefore have less hits and more strikes. If you don't mind me asking what formula do you use for calculating Plate Discipline?

I could drop his discipline but that would really be cheating Adam Dunn. Then I would have to drop Bonds because he doesn't hit for average anymore, then Giambi... As of right now, I am going to stick with the formula.

And don't worry, my roster and KG's will still be separate entities. My ratings aren't final, when he gets them he can do what he wants with them, he has already with the 06 version.

Keep up the good work everyone.

I agree that you should stick to the formula so that you at least have some consistency. However I would maybe suggest tweaking the formula for future stats. In case anyone cares I was thinking up a way to calculate Plate Discipline and came up with this.

=((Hits + Walks) / (AB * 0.6)) * 100

The logic being that a hit and walk is a desired outcome. Having good plate discipline will result in better pitches and therefore a good outcome. So it compares how likely they are based on total at bats to have a good outcome. Since it's almost impossible to have 100% success in batting I then factor in a modifier 0.6. This basically means that the best hitter possible in baseball will have a successfull outcome from an AB 60% of the time resulting in a 100 plate discipline rating in MVP. To make it more accurate, Intentional walks should be subtrated from walks and AB.

If I use that formula, I get a 72~, which equates to a 8 or 9 in the game. BUT, he was 3rd in the entire MLB in walks, which should raise his Discipline a few points. Of course, he struck out more than anyone, so that should decrease it. Perhaps 10 or 11 is a fair number?

I agree that you should stick to the formula so that you at least have some consistency. However I would maybe suggest tweaking the formula for future stats. In case anyone cares I was thinking up a way to calculate Plate Discipline and came up with this.

=((Hits + Walks) / (AB * 0.6)) * 100

The logic being that a hit and walk is a desired outcome. Having good plate discipline will result in better pitches and therefore a good outcome. So it compares how likely they are based on total at bats to have a good outcome. Since it's almost impossible to have 100% success in batting I then factor in a modifier 0.6. This basically means that the best hitter possible in baseball will have a successfull outcome from an AB 60% of the time resulting in a 100 plate discipline rating in MVP. To make it more accurate, Intentional walks should be subtrated from walks and AB.

here is what I use

((( (Ws / Ks * 100 + .5) + Contact Rating ) / 2 )+ .5) * .1

from MVPedit