James Cameron to unveil Jesus Christ's Coffin live Monday.

DJEagles

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYM, I'm curious how you can make such bold statements about falacies in the Bible without substantiation. Where are you coming from in saying those things?

Genisis 1-11 is Prehistory. It is not recorded at all.

After Gen 11 it is doucmented as historical fact.

Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel never existed. Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Hagar, Moses are people who actually existed.

Also there are TWO creation stories. Someone has to be wrong here! These stories were created off the epics of Gilglamesh to just answer some complex qustions at the time: Where did we come from? How did sin orginate?

The creation stories are just a "parable" used to help us find the relationship with God and his people.

There are two senses of the Bible, literal and spiritual. You cannot take everything the Bible writes literally!

I am Christian and I believe in God. God is real. I believe Jesus was real, not just because he's in a global textbook, but because I believe he is the savior. I do believe in heaven, but hell does not exist.

It is said God will never turn his back on you, and that he's always waiting to welcome you with open arms. Why then would he condemn you to an eternal hell? It doesn't make sense. IMO hell does not exist, only heaven.

Feel free to contradict any statement made, I'm in the mood to debate.

I should also point out that that theory of the Big Bang was featured on "Family Guy" a couple years ago.

I was hoping someone realized what I was getting at lol. But medric is being flamed for being an ignorant and arrogant *** not only in this thread but in the majority of places he posts in, so he put whatever sense of humor he had to the side in an attempt to let out some anger.

Sin origionated when Eve ate the forbiden fruit, thus the first law of God was broken.

Gen 1-11 was told to Moses by God, so that Moses could make a record of it.

So I guess you cant take the part where Jesus came to save us from our sins literaly?

You say that there are two creation stories, yet you dont mention if both are in the Bible. Only one is, and thats found it Genesis, chapter, starting on verse 1.

How cal hell not exist, when in the Bible, in Genesis, it tells of how Satan tricked 1/3 of the Angles to turn against God, and how God sent them all into hell.

Like I said before, You say your one thing, yet you also deny parts of what you believe. Kinda similar to Simon Peter in the New Testament, the morning of Jesus crusification.

NYM, not flaming your beliefs or anything, but how do you define what is literal and what isn't? If not all of the Bible is literal, do you pick and choose what you want to believe?

Isn't that what 99% of "religious" people do?

EG. I'm reform, I don't keep kosher. (Not me personally)

Medric

There's a little something out there called Higher Criticism. I'm really sorry to break this to you, but Moses did not write the Pentateuch. Rather, those first five books were written by several different authors (who knows, maybe Moses was among them) and cobbled together at some later date. Evidence for this abounds. The majority of religious scholars, from most denominations, accept this.

Try looking it up sometime.

Genisis 1-11 is Prehistory. It is not recorded at all.

After Gen 11 it is doucmented as historical fact.

Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel never existed. Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Hagar, Moses are people who actually existed.

Also there are TWO creation stories. Someone has to be wrong here! These stories were created off the epics of Gilglamesh to just answer some complex qustions at the time: Where did we come from? How did sin orginate?

The creation stories are just a "parable" used to help us find the relationship with God and his people.

There are two senses of the Bible, literal and spiritual. You cannot take everything the Bible writes literally!

I am Christian and I believe in God. God is real. I believe Jesus was real, not just because he's in a global textbook, but because I believe he is the savior. I do believe in heaven, but hell does not exist.

It is said God will never turn his back on you, and that he's always waiting to welcome you with open arms. Why then would he condemn you to an eternal hell? It doesn't make sense. IMO hell does not exist, only heaven.

Feel free to contradict any statement made, I'm in the mood to debate.

Hey NYM, thanks for the reply. I assume you're referring to the seeming discrepancy between the two creation accounts in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 (yes, Medric, there are two accounts in Genesis; you gotta realize that people are not "persecuting" you because of your faith - they're attacking you because of your caustic and argumentative attitude), though whether or not they're divergent is certainly debatable. It really depends on the version of the Bible you read as to how divergent the two accounts seem to be. Reading at face value, it seems that Genesis 1 has the creation in this order: light, sky, dry ground and oceans, vegetation, sun and moon, birds and fish, land animals, and finally man. Genesis 2 seems to have the order vegetation, man, living creatures, with the other stages of creation omitted. To me, the most reasonable way to reconcile not only the seemingly contradictory order but also the omission of the elements of creation is that chapter 1 provides the basic structure of the whole of creation, chapter 2 is completely anthropocentric - focused on man. If this is the case, the author takes for granted that he has already laid out the whole of creation and doesn't feel the need to reiterate the initial stages of creation that have nothing to do with man, but mentions the vegetation because of the Garden that God had created to be a home to man, and he mentions the living creatures because man's first job was to name the animals. As for the order they appear, in 2:9 when it says "And the LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food," he's talking about the trees in the Garden, not all trees in general. In v. 19, it would be interpreted "Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts..." past tense. The creation of the animals had already happened. That seems to me to be the best explanation for the two creation accounts.

You are totally right, though, about the similarities between the Genesis creation account and the Gilgamesh epic. I wrote a term paper about this. I won't enumerate all the similarities between the two, suffice it to say they are fairly striking. Really, though, the similarities are greater between Genesis and the Babylonian creation epoch called Enuma Elish. Without going into great detail here about those similarities, which probably no one here really cares about, there is a fairly plausible explanation for these similarities. Many of the ancient creation myths shared similar characteristics, with each one attempting to tell the story in a way that explained the way its respective culture viewed the world, and to assert the supremacy of their gods, which is what Enuma Elish did with the Babylonian god Marduk. Enuma Elish asserted the supremacy of Marduk, and explained mankind's destitute state of servitude to the gods. The Genesis creation account seems to be written as an answer to these other ancient creation myths. In the end, the author of Genesis, whom I believe to be Moses, is primarily concerned with asserting the ultimate supremacy of Yahweh. Whereas the popular Egyptian creation myth had the sun God Ra giving light to all living creatures, and being the source of all life, the Genesis account doesn't even have the sun created until day 4! Light existed before the sun was even created - asserting that Yahweh is the source of light. In conclusion, yes, NYM, I would tend to agree that Genesis 1 is not intended to be interpreted literally. This does not mean that it's not truthful, but that the truth in it is not necessarily to be taken at face value. Man...this is way too long. Just felt like I had to take advantage of this opportunity to justify the 50 hours or so I spent on that stinkin term paper...NYM, or anyone else for that matter, I'd love a response.

Well most of the stuff I am saying, literal and spiritual accounts of the Bible, the statement of Genesis 1-11, I learnerd in Religion class.

My teacher told the class it didn't really happen. She said evoultion happened.

It's common sense evolution happened. The Bible cannot be taken literally for every single word. Not everything in the Bible is true, only the spiritual meaning meant to be brought to the reader is.

People, listen I believe in God 150%. I believe he does exist and that Jesus was and still is our savior and the Messiah. I'm jus saying the Bible is not something to be taken literally word for word. You have to intepret it in your own way.

I'll say this though, the only possible story of Genesis to be considered true would be Noah's Ark.

Religion is built on belief and faith. Thats why there are so many different religions and so many segments of the Christian faith, because each "branch" interpreted their beliefs in a different way.

God is real.

Well most of the stuff I am saying, literal and spiritual accounts of the Bible, the statement of Genesis 1-11, I learnerd in Religion class.

My teacher told the class it didn't really happen. She said evoultion happened.

It's common sense evolution happened. The Bible cannot be taken literally for every single word. Not everything in the Bible is true, only the spiritual meaning meant to be brought to the reader is.

People, listen I believe in God 150%. I believe he does exist and that Jesus was and still is our savior and the Messiah. I'm jus saying the Bible is not something to be taken literally word for word. You have to intepret it in your own way.

I'll say this though, the only possible story of Genesis to be considered true would be Noah's Ark.

Religion is built on belief and faith. Thats why there are so many different religions and so many segments of the Christian faith, because each "branch" interpreted their beliefs in a different way.

God is real.

It's funny how we all know that evolution happened. People used to know that the Earth was flat, that our solar system revolved around the Earth, and that we could cure diseases by placing leaches on a sick person's body. I could keep going, but you get the point. Mainstream science has had a very long history of being wrong. There just simply to many holes in evolution for me to believe it.

Thats a point that I was trying to get across Killer B's.

Ok, If you believe in God 150%, yet you believe that evolution happened, then your 150% is more like 70% already. You cant believe both. According to evolution, it took place over millions of years, but the Bible, it took place roughly 8000 years ago. If your going to study something, whats easier, something closer to todays time period with records by people, or something that happened 'millions' of years ago with no real historical proff besides what we say it is. We dont see people that look like they just came out of the Planet of the Apes movie, although some red-necks can come close, which right there should put a red flag on the theory of evolution. In fact, the only real change that humans have made over the past 2000 years, is a longer lifespan, only due to the discoveries of such things as hygene.

And as to the last post on the previous page, I'm sorry I didn't catch that it was from Family Guy, I stopped watching cartoons when I was 11, and I moved on, and so should you.

Ok, If you believe in God 150%, yet you believe that evolution happened, then your 150% is more like 70% already. You cant believe both.

Uhh, I think he's allowed to believe whatever he wants. Religion is a guide to life, not a rulebook, we are free to choose our own ideals and beliefs, you can't come in here and tell someone that they are not allowed to believe in what they want. You can however debate over what is historical fact and fiction. Which you have done in part, but just sounded like a jackass in doing it.

Uhh, I think he's allowed to believe whatever he wants. Religion is a guide to life, not a rulebook, we are free to choose our own ideals and beliefs, you can't come in here and tell someone that they are not allowed to believe in what they want. You can however debate over what is historical fact and fiction. Which you have done in part, but just sounded like a jackass in doing it.

Not according to the Vatican, if you are Roman Catholic.

I'm not Catholic, but I'm not an ***hole like fred13 sometimes is either. Someone said that they cant believe that God created the Earth in seven days, but that he could make it rain day and night fr 40 days?

Calm the hell down! You brought this all on yourself, with your outlandish claims of being in the "one true religion". You are a hypocrite. I got done reading another thread, where you call something "gay". Is that not making fun of people. Does that not go against your beliefs. Your a real piece of work Medric. You hide behind your religion when it suits you...

Archived